It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North, South Korea Exchange Fire Across Disputed Sea Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This was a headline I just read on Foxnews.

Cannot find a proper link as of now, but I thought I would share it.

Considering the world as it is, will this have any real effect...or will we talk about this action for a couple days and it will be forgotten quickly?

This is the link: Source Hope it still contains the headlines.
edit on 3/30/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yep, I see it.

I suppose NK is tired of playing second fiddle to Russia's limelight and needs attention. That said, this would be leaps and bounds beyond whats happened in the past. Consequences of new ownership or are they feeling now with all the distractions is the time to leap?

What time is it there now? Still New Moon?

Reuters:

BREAKING NEWS: South Korea marines return fire after North Korea shell lands in their waters: South Korea’s military

www.reuters.com...

edit on 30-3-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Yes, that headline just came across my iPad, I searched and couldn't find anything, it came across as from the AP tho, so it should be up soon!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Forgive my ignorance, but haven't there been actions like this before and it blew over fairly quickly?

It bothers me in a broader, global aspect, but it could very well blow over.
edit on 30-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

South Korea on Monday returned fire into North Korean waters after shells from a North Korean live-fire drill fell south of the rivals' disputed western sea boundary, a South Korean military official said.

No shells from either side were fired at any land or military installations, an official with South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said. He provided no other details and spoke on condition of anonymity because of office rules.

The exchange of fire followed Pyongyang's earlier, unusual announcement that it would conduct the drills, a move seen as an expression of Pyongyang's frustration at making little progress in its recent push to win outside aid.

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
BBC
Link has more info.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So it appears to be an action of "a show of force", not of aggression? That is better then the alternatives.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

sheepslayer247
reply to post by Rosinitiate

Forgive my ignorance, but haven't there been actions like this before and it blew over fairly quickly?

It bothers me in a broader, global aspect, but it could very well blow over.

Numerous incidents between North and South but only 4 or 5 incidents of shots fired over the demilitarized zone over the past decade or so.

According to Reuters NK shot artillery and the South returns with shots fired. The banner disappeared though.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Well on his Facebook page he toots his own horn and says, "Kim Jung guides his own drone attack". He is always itching for a war (or to get the war back up and going). It wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily - for those of North Korea. It would finally free them. If it escalates I think the opportunity should be seized for a quick takeover of that Country - low casualties and let the healing begin. It's sad it has to be like that in order to free people but clearly it will need to be eventually.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
LOL I can't help but laugh at this:

Missile tests The live-fire exercises were announced by North Korea in a faxed message from its military to the South's navy. The exercises would take place in seven border areas, the message said. South Korean had warned of immediate retaliation if any ordinance crossed the border. In November 2010, North Korea fired shells at the border island of Yeonpyeong, killing two marines and two civilians.

BBC
edit on 30-3-2014 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

So this is the second time North Korean "exercises" has resulted in the death of South Korean civilians.

I know the fax thing is so North Korea, but civilian deaths from military exercises is no laughing matter.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

That also explains why they can't seem to aim their missiles.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
NK is feeling empowered because they just signed a financial pact with Russia. I read somewhere they were supposed to be firing somethin off the west coast on monday(today), and they had informed SK of this in advance. Will definitely be paying close attention as this unfolds.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
What concerns me the most about this incident, is how easily this exchange took place. Next time ... is it gonna be a couple of shells hitting just a couple of folks on both sides? Slow or fast, an exchange or escalation, could get out of hand.

At any given time there might be 120K Americans over here. There are plenty of other nationalities represented as well. Artillery doesn't discriminate.

So, once again, we have that fat little psycho up north pushing, only this time he's got an inexperienced head of state pushing back in kind. Recipe for disaster if you ask me. Fatty's loving it ... I'm sure. Expect something more when he figures it out.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Ooh you bombed my sea so Im going to bomb your sea right back....It sounds like there may be children on both sides of the DMZ with their fingers on the button.

I used to think only the dogs in Korea got nervous when there was an exchange as they all ended up in someones freezer as preparations for war rationing began, now the poor fish are getting it in the neck.

Will those evil Koreans just have sex already or else sort it out, posturing is so last year as Russia has shown.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

SirDrinksalot
Ooh you bombed my sea so Im going to bomb your sea right back....It sounds like there may be children on both sides of the DMZ with their fingers on the button.

I used to think only the dogs in Korea got nervous when there was an exchange as they all ended up in someones freezer as preparations for war rationing began, now the poor fish are getting it in the neck.

Will those evil Koreans just have sex already or else sort it out, posturing is so last year as Russia has shown.

luckily USA have nothing to do with any of Koreas...

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Christ the world need to step in and build a wall round this lunatic in the North

I mean this is child like

And the scariest thing is they have nukes

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

thesmokingman
NK is feeling empowered because they just signed a financial pact with Russia. I read somewhere they were supposed to be firing somethin off the west coast on monday(today), and they had informed SK of this in advance. Will definitely be paying close attention as this unfolds.

You do not fire off missles when you feel empowered you fire them off when your feeling neglected and ignored. North Korea wants attentions because they most likely need food again. They will bluster and make threats and then ask for some food to be a good boy. And a financial pact with Russia is pretty much worthless at this point.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Sounds like just more child-esq squabbling. "it's mine" "no, its mine give it back"

new topics

top topics

join