It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking is my Suicide.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, I can totally relate to your post, thought process and difficulties. S&F for the naked display of honesty.

Like you, been there, done that - rinsed and repeated for 25 long years.

Heroin withdrawal was a major nightmare, but I did what had to be done and got over it. Won't be going there again and that's a fact. Then the party drugs, I used alcohol and hashish in inordinate amounts to compensate. Alcohol was the hardest for me, never could sit in a bar and drink a coke, so I stayed at home any time I wasn't working and smoked myself stupid for a year or two. Finally, I managed to kick the hashish: that too was a long slow process, reducing and reducing further to the point where for the past three years I have smoked exclusively for the ten days covering Christmas and new year's.

When I look back at the process, it does seem obvious that I went from crutch to crutch. Therein lies the main problem with cigarettes: they are the last crutch, the final hurdle. It is not simply about quitting tobacco.

To quote Mark Twain...

'Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.'

... I've actually done it about half a dozen times, personal best 5 1/2 months so far. And yet, and yet....

The thing about long-time smoking is that when you quit, you must win a battle every few minutes or so. Months go by, and you are still fighting that very same battle every few hours or so. Apparently, after years of no smoking, the craving can and will still hit you occasionally...and the thing is, one moment of weakness, one lost battle and you are back in the deep end immediately. Such moments of weakness are inevitable, as we all grow older and lose loved ones, or tragedy strikes within our close circle, we lose a job, a friend, are forced to renounce a dream that was crucial to us...

Which brings me to my next point.

This is not due to nicotine.

Nicotine assuefaction lasts 72 hours. In that sense, the physical battle is indeed many times milder than what you go through whilst experiencing the full brunt of heroin withdrawal, and by that I mean without compensating with methadone and meds.
It is my firm belief that tobacco companies have been experimenting with psychotropic drugs in their products for the best part of 30 years.

No, I can't prove it, and I won't be arguing the point. Nevertheless, I am absolutely convinced it is so. In truth, I did find some interesting scientific papers on the internet years back, postulating this very hypothesis...but either I cannot find them anymore or they have been scrubbed.

The emphasis on nicotine is your classic red herring.

One final consideration must be made, and that is that despite the damage due to the chemicals and psychotropic drugs, it has been suggested smoking actually prevents lung cancer. In all honesty, I actually think I believe that, for the following reasons:

- Japan and Greece have the highest numbers of adult cigarette smokers in the world, but the lowest incidence of lung cancer. In direct contrast to this, America, Australia, Russia, and some South Pacific island groups have the lowest numbers of adult cigarette smokers in the world, but the highest incidence of lung cancer. Real figures nowadays are showing far more non-smokers dying from lung cancer than smokers.

- the phenomenal rise in lung cancer coincides precisely with the first-use of nuclear weapons and subsequent beginning of nuclear testing. This is quite easy to statistically verify.A 1957 British Medical Research Council report stating that global "deaths from lung cancer have more than doubled during the period 1945 to 1955", though no explanation was offered.

- Within seconds, billions of deadly radioactive particles are sucked into the atmosphere to an altitude of six miles, where high-speed jet streams circulate them far and wide. Half-life of the particles: 50,000 years or longer...inhale a single particle and eventual death from lung cancer becomes inevitable: the solid microscopic radioactive particle buries itself deep in the lung tissue, completely overwhelms the body's limited reserves of vitamin B17, and causes rampant uncontrollable cell multiplication.

- How could people be proved to be causing themselves to contract lung cancer, i.e. be said to be guilty of a self inflicted injury for which government could never be blamed or sued? The only obvious substance that people inhaled into their lungs, apart from air, was tobacco smoke...

- Professor Sterling of the Simon Fraser University in Canada is perhaps closest to the truth, where he uses research papers to reason that smoking promotes the formation of a thin mucous layer in the lungs, "which forms a protective layer stopping any cancer-carrying particles from entering the lung tissue."

The above points are extracted from the following article, an interesting read:

Google 'Smoking helps protect against lung cancer', ATS doesn't like my link despite their belief in free speech.

I have no problem with the premises and conclusions of that article, but everyone else will just have to make up their own mind.

In closing, I am no longer trying to stop smoking. Fistly because I find it near to impossible, and second because between radioactive particles and chemtrails I really do believe, experientially, that smoking is contributing to protecting me from far worst alternatives.

I have found that the only thing that bothered me with smoking was the constant wheezing cough and breathing difficulties. I say bothered because I have found a combination of breathing exercises, H2O2 inhalations and jogging to have fixed the problem. Smoking rolled tobacco has also helped, but possibly the breathing exercises are the key.

Your lungs will regain elasticity and you might just find that you don't really need to quit as badly as you think you do.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

edit on 31-3-2014 by D377MC because: spelling, punctuation, edit to add.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Today is my last day smoking cigarettes.

I'm a 30 year smoker. I stopped for 1.6 years back in 2006 but messed that up by having 1 cigarette. Not this time.
I even bought a cool new necklace and blessed it with a +30 anti-addiction enchantment to help with initial cravings!

My lungs are fried. They just can't take it any more.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Jude, I feel you. I managed to quit after a 15-year, 1-2 pack a day habit. It was the hardest thing I ever did. The only advice I haven't seen so far in this thread is what actually made me finally able to do it, after many attempts. Since "Nature abhors a vacuum" you have to fill the empty spot left by smoking. As awful as it is, smoking does something for you, emotionally. For me, it allowed me to stop for a moment in this crazy, demanding fast-paced world and do something for only myself, only for pleasure. So, try to find something positive that does the same thing for you. Laugh if you want, but I took up figure skating 15 years ago when I put down the cigs. Now, I spend an hour every morning working on multi-revolution jumps and flying spins. It's a hoot. It also works because I know I couldn't run a program or make it through a single training session if I started smoking again. You can have good addictions, too. Food for thought.

Oh, and please stick around. ATS and the world would be much duller places without you!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Smoked for almost 20 years, haven't had one in more than two, though I dream of them often. The e-cig really helped me out too, used that in conjunction with the patch. Also, running on a treadmill every day, it gives you that burning in the lungs and the last thing you want afterwards is a cigarette. For me the hardest part was coming to the decision that I didn't want to smoke anymore, I think people fail to quit because they don't really want to. Hang in there, it's a long road, know that the real hard part comes a few months after you've quit when you're brain tries to trick you into thinking you can just have one. You can't.

-d

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well I just quit cold turkey, 7 years ago roughly, as for me there was no weaning off it, no cutting down, no patches.
The ONLY way to stop was stopping.
Cigarettes are really, really bad man... you should def quit.

You may eat more, you may be restless, your friends may smoke which makes it tough, but you can do it.

I personally think they should ban Cigarettes, because unlike some of the drugs you mention and that many of us did in our youth, there are literally NO benefits to smoking, nothing positive whatsoever.
At least other drugs are fun, wild and you can have crazy times and so long as you don't get addicted, they are harmless.

There was a doctor who is campaigning for legalising drugs who was speaking about drugs and laws and what a drug needs to pass now to be allowed for manufacture and distribution... and he said that there is absolutely no way on earth that Alcohol or Cigarettes would be allowed/passed to be legal in today's world/ under the laws now.

Just wouldn't happen.

Alcohol is a poison and Cigarettes have many, many poisons in them.

We live in an insane world.
edit on 31/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
topic title.. 100% correct
it's a conscious choice, every time we do it we know we're killing ourselves
they got the 'death programming' all over the cigs now, "smoking kills" and so on..
one of the best tricks is to just 'do something else' for as long as you can (when the trigger is activated)
what starts as 5 mins can soon become 10,15 mins then more..
..currently kicking mary jane also (and boy are my legs tired)

i've been praying for the whole world lately

(you're in there too somewhere)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Im quitting in may, only because Im getting surgery. The only other reason I want to quit is its too expensive now. So you can do it, and you will fall, like I have so many times. Its worth it to try and have the conviction to stand up to yourself and say enough.

With me I was afraid of the failure, and there in turn, I just went ahead and failed like I told myself I would. I have to motivate me, and tell myself that I can do it, and mean it.

So you can too! Its hard, it sucks, but in the end worth it. Its time for some damn change!
edit on 31-3-2014 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
"We die either way right?" Yes, but its under what conditions and how bad of suffering.

Grandfather-Lung Cancer
Mother-Lung Cancer
Grandmother-Cancer (s) more than one kind
Step Father-Lung Cancer
Aunt-Cancer (s) more than one kind

It doesnt have to be....and I know I shouldnt talk...but hey! My friend YANK?
Throat and laryngeal cancer-voice box-smoking.

Try to quit, try to cut back, try to....try. But try.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
quitting smoking is easy, i've done it loads of times.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

I agree w/your post. Alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal CAN KILL someone. Opiate withdrawal may make someone feel like they're dying, but I haven't heard of anyone dying of it, either. In my experience, anyway.

Regardless, they have :detox" for drugs and alcohol, why not for cigarettes?

If they had like a 7 day inpatient followed by an outpatient program to quit cigarettes, I'd probably sign right up. I hate smoking...it's expensive, it smells REALLY bad, and it is killing me.

Arrgh, I quit before with the patch. I did really good for a while, then thought I kicked the habit and stopped wearing the patch. Went right back to it.

I'm thinking of checking out the new e cig place by my house here in a bit. Idk if I'm going to bite, but I will post a thread on it if I do.

edit on 31-3-2014 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
You want to quit … because your body is telling you to.

It's telling you this because you are being poisoned.

No, not by tobacco.()

Think about it. Would human beings even still exist on the Earth today, if that magnificent biological machine known as the human body was predisposed to developing cancer and destroying itself, by mere inhalation of the products of simple combustion of organic plant matter?

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the human lung adapted to inhaling burnt, dried plant material long ago.
(Imagine just how much smoke our cave dwelling ancestors inhaled over the eons, right up until the recent advent of electricity?)

For an example of a substance which humans were not designed to take into our lungs—though if you're a smoker and live in either America, Canada, UK, majority of Western Europe, or Australia—then you have in recent years been ingesting:

Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA polymer)

On the side of your pack of cigarettes, above the UPC barcode, do you see these three letters

FSC
?

Prepare to be horrified (and justifiably really pissed)

Fire Safe Cigarette

Some consumers in the United States claim they have found a noticeable difference in the taste of FSC cigarettes from non-FSC cigarettes, comparing it to a copper or metallic taste. Other symptoms reported include an itchy rash, (allergic reaction), severe headache, vomiting, diarrhea, mouth sores, and nose bleeds. Many of these symptoms are also closely associated with carbon monoxide (CO) toxicity. When organic matter is burned with insufficient oxygen, carbon monoxide (CO) is produced. FSC cigarettes are designed to self-extinguish by reducing the oxygen supply to the burning tobacco. The health risks associated with increased long-term (CO) exposure range from mild to severe, and are well documented. Currently there are no studies linking FSC cigarettes to increased (CO) levels. There has been a rise in people rolling their own cigarettes instead of continuing to smoke FSC and there have also been petitions regarding FSC. One current petition has been signed by over 50,000 people that attest to the negatives of FSC cigarettes.

Currently there are no findings published on the long term health effects on humans of inhaling EVA co-polymers. Results of tests conducted on rodents show the risks associated with 'Ethylene Vinyl Acetate copolymer emulsion based adhesive' include triggering the cellular proliferation necessary for tumor development.

Do a search for health problems stemming from FSC

()Pointless Politically-Correct Disclaimer
While I do encourage the use of rational thought, I am in no way advocating smoking.
If you don't smoke, then don't start.
If you're quitting, then don't quit quitting(?)
If you do smoke, then you need a correspondingly greater amount of exercise in proportion to the amount that you smoke.

Smoking is not a smart thing to do.
Be that as it may, a daily brush with death is invigorating and plus, we are a species that appears to be a priori compelled to do dumb sh%#.

edit on 1-4-2014 by 3mperorConstantinE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Kind of funny thing happened today... was having my smoke break and had to put it out right after I lit up because I had a customer (Someone I know well and can joke with). He apologized and said he could've waited, and I said "it's ok, you just added 15 minutes to my life". I looked at him and said "damn you anyway" . We both laughed and joked about it.
edit on 1-4-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

I told him smoking is my suicide... and he bummed 2 cigs ... lol
edit on 1-4-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

I too am a smoker and believed the propaganda of the media and doctors, however I read a report that changed my mind on the hoax of cigarettes cause cancer, apparently after the bomb went off over Hiroshima the us government noticed an increase in skin and lung cancer so they had to come up with something to prevent claims from radiation, so they paid scientists millions of dollars to try and come up with lung cancer using rats and mice in the labs, after quite some time the scientists had to say they couldn't produce lung cancer even though they were giving the rats and mice 200 cigs a day, so the government said okay we will pay you more to lie, so that's what they have done lied to us.

Apparently smoking creates a layer of mucous on the lining of the lungs and this protects you from radiation so if any should get to your lungs you just cough it out, passive smokers should be thank ful to us for protecting them against radiation.

I don't have the original report sorry, but that's how the story goes so i'm not concerned about lung cancer one little bit, however smoking is a pain in the arse and so i did try the e-cigs but got very frustrated with them and of course I also found out that the FDA will make them illegal in 2016 and you will only be able to buy them on prescription (clever hey) let the e-cig companies get a few million addicted to them and then take them away so the big pharma's can reap the rewards same old story!!!

A very good thing to use is a tar gard and this is a small plastic tip that fits snugly over your tip and removes all the tar from the cigarette, I have to say i have been using these now for 6 weeks none stop and my smokers cough has gone completely.

Obviously I'm not saying smoking is healthy especially to people who suffer with lung problems but for those who don't i don't think it hurts, otherwise just think about it if smoking causes lung cancer why haven't all the smokers that smoke have cancer of the lungs they don't so don't panic, BEST OF LUCK WITH QUITTING

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
SWIM will try to grow Lobelia inflata this year.

It is easy to quit smoking with that "thinking herb" they say.

It is also cleaning the lungs and it can help the body to get rid of almost any poison. And more:

Lobelia - the thinking herb

Always try herbs rather than man made stuff.

Btw we - Tobacco smokers are rather addicted to the state of consciousness. Vaping nicotine is not good enough because of the lack of harmala alkaloids

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
do you want to get over your addictions? try kinesiology and meditation

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I hear ya. I've been quit for just over two years, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. My main complaint about quitting is similar to yours. Were I attempting to quit coke or heroin, I couldn't just find some loose change and walk a half-block to buy a day's worth of the drug. Nobody stops being your friend because you can't quit smoking cigarettes, and nobody places you in rehab because no matter what people say you just keep on smoking. It's a true battle of the wills, and mind over matter has never been my strong suit. It's a major &%#$@er.

But I'll tell you this...

Not a week goes by where I don't have one loooong moment of reflection and think to myself "Thank God it's over. Thank God I don't smoke." And these are really deep appreciative moments where I feel more gratitude than I have for anything so far, and I'm pretty sure that's because I've never worked so hard to accomplish something. And it was so hard because I had been using cigarettes as an adult pacifier to get me distracted from those uncomfortable moments inside my own psyche. But now that I'm on the other side, I can honestly say I'd rather battle one of my personal demons than battle the urge to smoke.

You're strong enough now to come out on the other side of this even stronger, Jude. Give it hell.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
equate nicotine transdermal system helped me out.. but then I was really decided to quit on smoking so I guess it worked for me.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That's all?
2 pages and hurry bye bye from your own thread? Sometimes I feel it's silly to waste time on such a forum.
Will you try Lobelia inflata? It could make you free of both drugs. Poppy extract full of complex alkaloids would also be less harmfull than codein itself. Think about it.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

PapagiorgioCZ
reply to post by jude11

That's all?
2 pages and hurry bye bye from your own thread? Sometimes I feel it's silly to waste time on such a forum.
Will you try Lobelia inflata? It could make you free of both drugs. Poppy extract full of complex alkaloids would also be less harmfull than codein itself. Think about it.

Nope still here...apologies. Work 12 hrs a day and don't have too much spare time.

I am currently on my own plan of reduction by 10% per day to avoid the pain but it's also my umpteenth attempt. I'll get it someday but to go to another is just not right for me because of head space. I know it won't work until I'm ready.

I'll keep on keeping on tho.

Thanks for the patience and reply.

Peace

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
youre not a quitter Jude.
I beleive in you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join