It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman blindsides girl at arizona university

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Zaanny
I hope the officers wife and daughters are returned the same treatment in the future.

Maybe I am old school but I was raised on the ideal of..

YOU DONT PUT YOUR HANDS ON WOMEN...... PERIOD

So because this cop used excessive force against this girl, you think that his Wife and Daughter should be assaulted, wtf?

First of all, they should not be made to suffer for his actions.

Second of all, maybe they are really nice people, and he treats them like crap, and maybe abuses them?

Third of all, wouldn't you wishing that violence upon their innocent selves contradict your ideal that you do not put your hands on Women ever?

I think you need to rethink that one my friend. Not sure if the cop was male or female, but either way what he/she did was uncalled for.

If you think about it, That is not even allowed in the NFL with pads on. It would be considered hitting a defenseless receiver, but not on concrete without a helmet where your head could get smashed open.

A lot of the times I will defend law enforcement if they are being attacked, but that was far from the case with this girl. Legal action would be more than appropriate here. ~$heopleNation
edit on 31-3-2014 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
While I'm no fan of cops or their tactics and I don't think the actual girl did anything to warrant this other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time . . . I'm not sure this belongs in this forum.

I live in AZ and there is A LOT missing from the national narrative on this video.

First, this is something that happens A LOT down in Tucson during March Madness . . . Read: Several occurrences of UofA students "rioting". In '97 when they won the championship, the students damaged store fronts, lit garbage cans on fire, lit cars on fire, and overturned at least one police cruiser.

So, when this year's disappointment of losing took hold and the alcohol kicked in students started their usual March ritual. What are the police to do? By the time this video was shot, police had already been assaulted with rock, beer bottles, fireworks, and asked repeatedly for the crowd to disperse. Well, they wouldn't and began throwing things at cops. When that happened gas was deployed, but this just caused the students to throw more items, including the gas canisters.

Bottom line . . . the students down there are just above animals and get away with everything. I can't count how many times the school or its boosters have "persuaded" police to file things away and keep out of the public eye (sexual assault, drug use/supply, vandalism, etc). Very provincial thinking down there . . .

Any student that shows up at these "events" gets exactly what is coming to them because they are all there for the same thing . . . to destroy things or laugh while others do it.
edit on 3/31/14 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

matafuchs
Does anyone else find it odd that they are chanting USA USA USA?

They are chanting U of A (University of Arizona).

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by solomons path

So any student hanging out peacefully should not do so? I do not think all that were there wished to go crazy and get destructive. Many? Sure, but you are implying that any and all deserve a beating and I think that is wrong.

I understand what you are saying, but do you think that girl specifically deserved that degree of force? What if that was your sister or girlfriend? I realize these colleges do get crazy and drunk, but the police have to still exercise common sense and to me that was excessive and shows the fragile psyche of that individual officer,who lost self control imo.

Thank you though for bringing up a good point about citizens calling the police because of disruptive behavior of the students, that is a real factor. I just feel that this incident was over the top.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dutchowl

I'd say the officer looks to be about 5'6", with boots and the helmet, that means the person was probably about 5'3", with wide bearing hips. The face in the helmet looks pretty feminine.

Over all, the police presence looks way over done. The police are more likely to incite violence, rather than prevent it. Gotta wonder how much it cost the city to put on this show of force.

It looks like Arizona has turned into a police state.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

solomons path
Any student that shows up at these "events" gets exactly what is coming to them because they are all there for the same thing . . . to destroy things or laugh while others do it.

99% of the time this is true. They are not there for any other reason then to "ACT OUT" and we have seen it more times than not, making this actual FACT. Now does that mean everyone is a part of the ridiculous behavior? Of course not, but a college aged adult should be smart enough to know that showing up to these events can/will/could/might set off other problems and may not be smart, or at least keep you on your toes to do the right thing and not get caught up with the other retards.

Now with that said, the student/girl who got jacked like that didn't deserve it. The officer in question could of just told them to stop and turn around. Had they disregarded that order and continued towards the BACK OF THE OFFICERS, then I can see using some physical force to turn them around, but this looked unnecessary. The officer also looked a bit small, so I wouldn't be surprised if the officer was a chick too.

Also, let me be clear. A woman should never (under ANY circumstances) be ABUSED, but the idea a woman should never be hit is absurd. An adult women who makes a fist and attempts to strike ANYONE, deserves to be cracked in the mouth just the same. Just because you have a vagina doesn't give you a free pass or the right to hit others because you can't handle something emotionally. People who think a woman is above being treated EQUALLY are idiots...yes, IDIOTS! By the way, a lot of women have killed many people because of this idiotic mindset. You want to die at the hands of an irate woman because of your mindset, by all means, enjoy your death, but I will protect myself and others against her just like anyone else.

Our society is to stupid to differentiate these days. There is a HUGE difference between abuse and protection. A woman gets drunk and swings on a guy, she DESERVES a fat lip. A women didn't make her husbands dinner just the way he likes and gets hit, that dude deserves to be 6 foot under. Again, did this chick in the video deserve that, no....but this idea women are above physical contact is stupid.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

solomons path...Any student that shows up at these "events" gets exactly what is coming to them because they are all there for the same thing . . . to destroy things or laugh while others do it.
edit on 3/31/14 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

Sorry but it doesn't give the police the right to assault a person that violently nor does it give them the right to dish out "crowd control" on a 120lb girl with a cup in her hand trying to walk past. He easily could have killed her. If that was your daughter, you wouldn't be telling her she deserved it.

I've shown this to a couple of cop friends including one on the local SWAT team and all of them were blown away at how callous and reckless this was. In all fairness, it should be pointed out that perhaps people were throwing liquids on the police and that's why this happened but in no way should that officer have responded like that.

I hope she lawyers up and sues the city so badly they'll be enforcing traffic on mopeds.
edit on 31-3-2014 by wills120 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist

So any student hanging out peacefully should not do so? I do not think all that were there wished to go crazy and get destructive. Many? Sure, but you are implying that any and all deserve a beating and I think that is wrong.

I understand what you are saying, but do you think that girl specifically deserved that degree of force? What if that was your sister or girlfriend? I realize these colleges do get crazy and drunk, but the police have to still exercise common sense and to me that was excessive and shows the fragile psyche of that individual officer,who lost self control imo.

Thank you though for bringing up a good point about citizens calling the police because of disruptive behavior of the students, that is a real factor. I just feel that this incident was over the top.

I'm sure many would think like you; however, you lack the perspective of history.

This wasn't a block party that got out of control, nor was it an organic "demonstration". Anybody that went into this mob knew exactly what was going on . . . it happens A LOT. Win or lose (in basketball) during this tournament and they try to destroy downtown. This has been going on (sporadically) since the mid-90's.

What this (trust me) drunk girl should have done was thought "is it wise to go stand around while a mob of drunkards starts vandalizing property and trying to instigate a response from the police?"

Did the girl deserve it? Probably not, but no one can say what happened before the video. If it were my sister or girlfriend, I'd ask why she was a part of a mob trying to do their best impersonation of the city of Oakland? What the hell did she think was going to happen at a riot?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

I'm not saying the cop was "right" . . . Nobody can based on what the video shows.

What I'm saying is the video doesn't tell the real story of what was going on. The question should be why do drunk college kids think it's OK to start a riot without the repercussions that come with the act.

That girl knew what was going on and instead of staying away from the melee, simply thought "party!!".

Be aware of your surroundings a pick better friends . . .

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
George Lucas was right. A bunch of bone-headed storm troopers.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply and I do understand your point, but speaking of history,can we honestly expect students to not pour into the streets after games? It does sound like a problem there, but I still think crowd control should not include lashing out at an individual standing there with the force of a juggernaut. I would tell my girlfriend or sister to not go out into the street after a game either I suppose, but citizens still have freedoms and rights and that would include walking the streets after a a game. Not all participants are there to do destruction, and the cops can exercises better judgement, imo. It was a volatile situation, but the police are supposed to be the professionals, and that includes self control. So I stand by my judgement for that one officer.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
More video is coming out...

link

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist

Thanks for the reply and I do understand your point, but speaking of history,can we honestly expect students to not pour into the streets after games? It does sound like a problem there, but I still think crowd control should not include lashing out at an individual standing there with the force of a juggernaut. I would tell my girlfriend or sister to not go out into the street after a game either I suppose, but citizens still have freedoms and rights and that would include walking the streets after a a game. Not all participants are there to do destruction, and the cops can exercises better judgement, imo. It was a volatile situation, but the police are supposed to be the professionals, and that includes self control. So I stand by my judgement for that one officer.

I don't expect you to change your mind, but you still seem to be under the assumption that this is just some organic thing (like people all pouring on to the sidewalks after last call).

The students form a mob (usually by the bars), then march through the streets vandalizing private and city property. When (every time) the cops show up, they form the standard riot line and tell the students to stop advancing and disperse. The students then (every time) start throwing things at cops and running wild.

This isn't just a case of some drunk kids are being loud and possibly obstructing traffic, after a night at a bar, and cops deciding to get rough with them.

Anyone in the streets at the time of the video was part of the mob and had failed to heed several requests (warnings, instructions, etc.) to beat feet and head home.

I'm not saying she deserved it, but this one is on the drunk kids. They started it and when asked to stop . . . it was the students who escalated the violence . . . not the cops.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

That video shows an AHOLE trying to make things worse. I have NO issues with them taking him out of there. It takes morons like that to get others to start doing things they shouldn't. (i.e. breaking windows, throwing more fire starting buildings on fire, wrecking cars, etc...)

There is a fine line between hitting the streets to have a good time and even raise "a little" hell, and getting out of hand like most of these gatherings do. The issue too is, these students so easily forget those businesses can't afford the damage or the aftermath. 95% act right, have fun and then go home, but that 5% puff out that chest and look for mayhem and to show off...so NO, I have no problem putting those 5% in their place so it ISN'T ruined for everyone.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The students form a mob (usually by the bars), then march through the streets vandalizing private and city property. When (every time) the cops show up, they form the standard riot line and tell the students to stop advancing and disperse. The students then (every time) start throwing things at cops and running wild.

Anyone in the streets at the time of the video was part of the mob and had failed to heed several requests (warnings, instructions, etc.) to beat feet and head home.

Excellent points I had not considered, thanks! I agree too, and feel the girl was an unfortunate victim of a perpetual situation. But you are correct, if the police say go home and clear the streets, particularly since it was just a ball game and not a political protest, people should listen or suffer. Thanks for shedding more light on this..
That one officer though? Reprimanded for excessive force imo.

ETA: The above video by matafuchs supports your point, the guy was daring the officers to respond.
edit on 31-3-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
if the police say go home and clear the streets, particularly since it was just a ball game and not a political protest, people should listen or suffer.

Sounds more like nazi germany than america to me.... I don't understand where this mentality comes from, and am glad I was taught my real rights, by real men that went to the trenches to fight for those rights....

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I was there for most of the police occupation of University Ave., on the west side of University of Arizona.

I didn't witness this event but I hung around near the police for about two hours just listening to chatter and wathcing them free people from detainment. I have about a dozen photos from the night. The police response was immense. There was nearly a quarter mile of police cars filling the entire road. There were easily 100+ police vehicles on the scene.

What is odd to me is that I was on University Avenue, watching the games at the same bars these people were. When the game was over there was total peace and people were heading home. Hostilities didn't start until 30+ police cars stormed the area and started yelling, then things got a little more rowdy. Bad training? Maybe. There wouldn't have been any confrontation had the police not reacted so aggressively.

The police, prior to the event on Saturday, had been recruiting ROTC cadets to practice in "Riot Control Tactics." I think the police reacted in this fashion because they had prepared so heavily for a riot, but there wasn't one, so they had to fabricate a disturbance to justify all of their expenses on training.

This photo really brings into focus the scope of the police intervention, mere minutes after the game and before any hostilities occurred. The line of police cars was 2 wide and as far as the eye could see.

edit on 31-3-2014 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

Here is the text that was sent out to UA students.

edit on 31-3-2014 by Pants3204 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by 5ofineed5aladder

good god! probably reminded him of his gf, the one that cheated on him *crickets*

link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yea but in context it is true. If this was a political protest, I would feel different, but as was pointed out, this is a continuous issue and the people have requested the police to intervene. I still think the victim's beating was uncalled for and he should be reprimanded, fined and jailed, but overall, these folks can't be allowed to just troop around and destroy things, no?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

TKDRL

speculativeoptimist
if the police say go home and clear the streets, particularly since it was just a ball game and not a political protest, people should listen or suffer.

Sounds more like nazi germany than america to me.... I don't understand where this mentality comes from, and am glad I was taught my real rights, by real men that went to the trenches to fight for those rights....

Nothing but hyperbole.

Your rights stop when they begin to encroach on someone else's. What about the rights of the property owners? Or the average Tucson citizen to travel the streets? What about the rights of the police who were assaulted with bottles, rocks, and fireworks?

Having rights doesn't give someone the right to crap in your house and tell you that they don't have listen to your NAZI objections to the act.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join