2 wordpress sites on a single hosting package?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ive got some website space with hostgator which i have a wordpress site on. I have now bought another domain name on i would like to use the space i have on my first hostgator package to host another wordpress site. So there would be 2 WP sites on the one package.

Im not sure how to do this, can anyone help?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken it needs to be set up as an add on domain but it's been so long I'm not sure. Could be a sub domain also. I have like 8 WP sites on my page and I use one...Good thing it's free.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

create a subdomain first and setup the second wordpress site (using cpanel)
then add the domain (add on domain)
finally point the domain at the site DNS/nameservers (since a new domain will have blank default nameservers)

edit on 3-30-14 by okamitengu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I have this in my cPannel

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I have bought another domain name from another company and i just want a second wp site on my current webspace so i can point my new domain name at it.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

In the picture above click on Addon Domains and enter your domain URL. Once thats set up go to the registrar where you registered the new domain and you should be able to change/set the DNS to point to your Hostgator hosting. You should be able to find the DNS to point to in the sidebar of your cPanel. Once you set the dns on your registrar thats that - it can take anything from 10 minutes to 24 hours for the dns to point to your hostagtor account.

Once set you'll be able to install your new wordpress site either via Fantastico or by FTPing a wordpress install and creating a new database with the MySql Database Wizard.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfetone

do not FORGET to setup a subdomain first, or it will overwirte your existing WP site

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the help guys. It turns out i need to pay a few dollars extra a month to have more than 1 WP site on my domain.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

that shouldn't happen.

when your hosting is up for renewal, check out the "geek" package at certified hosting...

paying more for a service that doesn't cost them anymore is robbery!!

(:

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Ive got some website space with hostgator which i have a wordpress site on. I have now bought another domain name on i would like to use the space i have on my first hostgator package to host another wordpress site. So there would be 2 WP sites on the one package.

Im not sure how to do this, can anyone help?

First create a folder where you want the second copy of WP to be installed. If you have a scripting add on to your cpanel then install it there. Then so seo will work, get the second domain name to bypass your current install of wp. Simple really, just make sure the second domain points to the folder you created with your wp installation.

posted on Jun, 11 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
Thanks for the help guys. It turns out i need to pay a few dollars extra a month to have more than 1 WP site on my domain.

This must be because of the number of databases you can have. I have been using bluehost for years and can have multiple wp sites no problem.

top topics

join