It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kicking the smoking habit-opinions on E-cigs and vapor

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

3 considerable drags per breath ... at least 3 breaths, sometimes a couple more ... it depends.

I found you've gotta hit the e-cig a bit harder than a cigarette to get the same 'feeling' if not the same effect.

The one guy in the shop that went back to cigarettes refused to hit his e-cig hard enough (IMVHO). YMMV

Okay...thanks.

Have you tried a vaporizer? I'm curious to know about that too.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Not to be contradictory ... but no one I know has taken ill from using e-cigs around here. Like the person your reply was to said ... they're a different nicotine delivery system. You won't 'kick the habit' using one.

Cold turkey is the right answer for any addiction ... when it's not gonna kill ya. Know that the addiction is as much physical as it is mental. There's all kinds of medical documentation covering the physiological change in your brain. Until your brains physiology recovers (which is not less than 7 years) you are an addict. Can't change the truth from what it is.

-Cheers

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Psychonautics
Don't use them. They can make you sick unless used sparingly. Like pneumonia sick. Also, it's just a crutch, anything with nicotine is a crutch.

Almost as bad as those coffee addicts that switch to tea amirite?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Thanks....did it work for you?

Like a dream !!!

Like Snarl, I was a 3-packer a day a few years ago.

Cut myself down to 1 pack.

Then 1 year ago started with the e-cigs liquids.

Now I only smoke maybe 5 real cigs a day.

Feel much better.

I puff on the e-cig all day a few puffs every 10 or 15 minutes.

I have heard some people can be allergic to the liquid.

The liquids are vegetable glycerin and/or propylene glycol (all FDA food grade).

The allergies seem to be with the PG content.

I use 100% VG with various flavors etc. and mostly with a very low nicotine and sometimes 0 nicotine.

No problems here.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric
reply to post by boncho

How often do you use it? Do you smoke it as often as a real cigarette?

I guess what I mean is....do you take as many puffs as you would from a real cigarette and just as often?
edit on 30-3-2014 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

It's really easy to sit around and vape for an hour or so. If your nicotine content is strong, you will only do so much before feeling sick so that will limit you. On the other hand, it's very easy to go hours long with none. Cigarettes tend to give a much worse feeling of withdrawal compared to ecigs, and I imagine it has to do with the list of other chems in them.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychonautics

Those standard store bought e-cigs use primarily PG based liquids.

The PG might be the problem.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1

Geesh....I have no clue. I started a thread about smoking too. I quit for awhile....weeks actually. After this recent Earthquake, I started smoking again 😁

Stress is a Mo Fo!

ETA
I'm afraid of the e cigs, but I wish you the best of luck in quitting 👍
edit on 3/30/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

Thanks so much for the well wishes.

Stress is worst when trying to not smoke....your situation is understandable considering the recent activity. Holy Crap!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

7 Years!!!????

Ah crap!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Personal:

My brother quit 2,5 months ago after 30 yrs.

I am 90 percent there after 38 yrs.

Vaping works.

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

if your looking to quit smoking I highly recommend them. I bought the blue cig menthol. It costs around 60 bucks for the starter kit which has a usb charger and a regular charger. I left the regular charger at home with one end, that way I could "smoke it in the morning" then I got a usb car charger that the usb just plugs into, this would let me smoke on my way to work. I did this for about 3 months, just getting my body off of cigarettes. then I took the morning charger to work, that way I could only use it on my breaks, not all morning long. I did this for 3 more months, then gave the charger away, and on did my smoking on the way to work, and on the way home. The nice thing about it is I just kept buffing on the dead one in the morning and on my breaks, it gave me something to do with my hands and mouth and let me continue to do the social aspect of smoking. Eventually I only charged the ecig in the morning and buffed on my dead one on the way home, then took the charger and puffed on a dead one all the time. that actually lasted about 6 months, because for me, the hardest thing was finding something to do with my hands. it took me about a year using it, they are ALOT cheaper then a pack of cigs as a refill cartridge is comes in a 5 pack for 15 which is 5 packs of cigs, you can reuse the dead ones to help when you off as well. I recommend them highly.

Camain

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

jude11

Might be the most important anecdote in-thread. It's never too late to quit.

**Bows to wisdom**

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

jude11

Personal:

Vaping works.

Peace

That's impressive after 38 years! What do you mean exactly by 90%? You still smoke here and there?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by camain

We are somewhat similar....I can't fathom actually quitting if I went cold turkey. I think I need to cut back first and kick the triggers of smoking first...then try to actually quit for good.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric

jude11

Personal:

Vaping works.

Peace

That's impressive after 38 years! What do you mean exactly by 90%? You still smoke here and there?

I was 2 packs a day.

2 Months ago I tried the vapor because of the success of my brother.

I now smoke 5 cigs a day with my vapor cig.

Almost there.

I find the ritual harder to quit than the actual cig.

Smokers will understand the ritual.

Peace

edit on 30-3-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I use the ecigs. I smoked for well over 20 years. I was up to about 3 packs a day. So much so that I would go to bed feeling nauseated and in fear that my heart would beat out of my chest. I quit the same day I found my first ecig. I started with disposables, then moved up from there.

I posted about being smoke free for 6 months here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That was in November of last year. I am still smoke free today. I am saving a lot of money and I feel a lot better. Honestly. I think even for those that use it instead of smoking (as in not giving up the ecigs at all)... you are still cutting over 4,000 chemicals/poisons out of your body and just putting in the nicotine. Anybody with sense would pick the second option. I am breathing a lot better. I have more energy, etc. It is totally worth it IMO. I have even gotten both my parents to start trying to quit using the same ecigs.

It's still hard. You have to talk yourself through wanting a real cigarette, by telling yourself that you are getting the same amount of nicotine with the ecig and just stick with it. On occasion, I still have the craving but know that if I smoke one... all will be lost. It's like an alcoholic in that sense. I don't really know anyone that can have just one.

It's really worth it. I tried the patches, the gum, the wellbutrin, etc. Nothing worked, but ecigs.

I hope if you can kick it. It gets easier when you realize how much better you feel and how much money you are saving.

I started off with something like this:

www.madvapes.com...

(I do not buy from this store and do not have any affiliation with them)

I still use a basic set up and it still works just fine for me. As with anything... you can spend a lot of money for more pricey equipment later on. But you don't want to spend a lot getting started if you aren't sure you can stick with it.

If you decide to give it a go.. come back and let us know how it's going. As you can see, there are right many of us here at ATS.

edit on 3/30/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

MagesticEsoteric

Psychonautics
Don't use them. They can make you sick unless used sparingly. Like pneumonia sick. Also, it's just a crutch, anything with nicotine is a crutch.

That's not good...I'm prone to pneumonia as it is and have been since I was a child.

Really stupid of me to be a smoker.....I know! just stupid!
edit on 30-3-2014 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

I spent 8 days in the ICU with pneumonia a few years back. I was so sick when I went in, they wouldn't even put me in a room. They weren't sure if I was going to make it through the night. They put me in ICU the next morning after a very rough night in the ER. I now have COPD and am prone to pneumonia as well. I have been using ecigs for almost 10 months. Sometimes pretty heavily. My breathing has only gotten better to be honest with you. I have never heard of anyone getting pneumonia from ecigs myself. If anything, I would say they may spare you from further damaging your lungs after what the pneumonia already does to them. I am not saying it isn't at all possible... just letting you know how it is for me and being prone to pneumonia myself.

The main ingredient in most ecigs is Propylene Glycol. It is what makes those fog machines produce fog in the haunted houses you go to and the rock concerts you attend. Everybody there breathes it in. Some people are sensitive to it and there are alternatives out there for those that are.
edit on 3/30/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Psychonautics

we tried them last year,within a couple of months my husband got pneumonia and empyema and had to have it drained,i wouldn't suggest them to anybody after nearly losing him,but that was our experience not everybody will be the same. Good luck to anybody trying to quit,im going to try again this week

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

jude11

MagesticEsoteric

jude11

Personal:

Vaping works.

Peace

I was 2 packs a day.

2 Months ago I tried the vapor because of the success of my brother.

I now smoke 5 cigs a day with my vapor cig.

Almost there.

I find the ritual harder to quit than the actual cig.

Smokers will understand the ritual.

Peace

edit on 30-3-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

The ritual is crazy hard to break!

You're doing great to go from 2 packs down to 5 a day. Good for you.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

That's a scary story.

I haven't had it for the last few years but, there for about a decade I was getting it every year.

When I was younger I remember being hospitalized and they made me sleep inside some sort of tent like contraption that was so hot it was unbearable.

When no one was in the room, I would sneak out and lay on the cold tile floor. (Odd memory I haven't thought about in a long time)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Haha no, I'm a bit of an odd case I guess..

Back in college I noticed that nicotine really settled me down considerably,and I wasn't a smoker or an addict at that time. If i had a smoke while studying, my mind would just go into overdrive and retain much more info. However I hated the smell of cigs, I smoked for a little while afterwards, but still couldn't stand it yet I loved what nicotine did for me. So I decided to use an ecig instead of smoking.

At my current job ecigs are HUGE. Dozens of people have quit smoking, we have all different rigs, mods, and juices. It has become a culture of sorts. The people that have completely quit at my job have all gone down in nicotine levels, that's why I asked. I don't think I want to quit, it just does something beneficial for me, however I don't smoke the real thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join