It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puente Hills Thrust Fault promises even more widespread destruction than San Andreas Fault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If you thought you were just 'imagining' that the recent quake - which occured in La Habra, CA and was felt throughout much of the entire Los Angeles county area - felt eerily 'different'.. then think again.

Scientists are now considering seismic activity on the Puente Hills Thrust Fault, which they deem most likely responsible for Friday's 5.1 earthquake in La Habra, potentially even more catastrophic than a 'big one' on the San Andreas Fault, in comparison!

Well why? Why did this quake feel so much like a 'sustained wobbling on Jello' as compared to hundreds of 'vertical shift' quakes we have experienced here in Socal for decades prior? Read on..

www.latimes.com...

Q: Why are scientists so worried about the fault?
The Puente Hills thrust fault is so dangerous because of its location, running from the suburbs of northern Orange County, through the San Gabriel Valley and under the skyscrapers of downtown Los Angeles before ending in Hollywood.

The Puente Hills fault could be especially hazardous over a larger area because of its shape. Other local faults, like the Newport-Inglewood and Hollywood, are a collection of vertical cracks, with the most intense shaking occurring near where the fault reaches the surface. The Puente Hills is a horizontal fault, with intense shaking likely to be felt over a much larger area, roughly 25 by 15 miles.

Video simulations of a rupture on the Puente Hills fault system show how energy from a quake could erupt and be funneled toward L.A.'s densest neighborhoods, with the strongest waves rippling to the west and south across the Los Angeles Basin.

Q: What is the worst-case scenario?
According to estimates by the USGS and Southern California Earthquake Center, a massive quake on the Puente Hills fault could kill from 3,000 to 18,000 people and cause up to $250 billion in damage. Under this worst-case scenario, people in as many as 3/4 of a million households would be left homeless.

edit on 30-3-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I was born and raised in that area. My mother is still there, and she stated that she felt it very strongly (she lives in Ontario, CA). She's been there since the early 50s, and she did say that it was unusually strong.

The heavy population, combined with the fragile water delivery system, can equal a disaster of epic proportions. I left a long time ago because just being in that area makes me nervous.

Thanks for sharing this, and God help the people stuck living in that region. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I do hope when the Puente Hills 'big one' hits, that the airport is reachable and that a flight straight out of the country is readily attainable when that SHTF!

It's comforting only that my retirement locale in southeast asia is relatively a non-seismic and non-seismic area despite being adjacent to the pacific and of relatively near/below sea levels... never a dull moment in Gardener's life, fellow ATSers! =D

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It doesn't really say why they think the next one on this fault will be stronger but I imagine they have their reasons for believing this.

The big problem and blessing with Cali are building codes. If an old existing structure is grandfathered in it's unlikely one will opt to upgrade because the codes are extreme. I have two uncles who own construction companies in Northerrn Ca., and while they have gotten used to inspectors ridged requirements, property owners often get frustrated by delays and extra costs. Starting from scratch is not unheard of if they don't think it is safe enough (think a quarter of an inch off - take it out and fix it strict). Your you tube video referred to older structures on this fault so I am thinking that won't change anytime soon. What they should allow is a small upgrade here and there without attracting attention of inspectors who will require you do it all the way (why not allow small changes over time)? I suppose it depends on the inspector and County but it is a hindrance.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
^ Ya.. I suppose they are explaining that if it had been -or the next ones on will be - any larger than a 5.x on that fault we'd have massive destruction..

Well why? Why did this quake feel so much like a 'sustained wobbling on Jello' as compared to hundreds of 'vertical shift' quakes we have experienced here in Socal for decades prior? Read on..

www.latimes.com...

Q: Why are scientists so worried about the fault?

The Puente Hills fault could be especially hazardous over a larger area because of its shape. Other local faults, like the Newport-Inglewood and Hollywood, are a collection of vertical cracks, with the most intense shaking occurring near where the fault reaches the surface. The Puente Hills is a horizontal fault, with intense shaking likely to be felt over a much larger area, roughly 25 by 15 miles.

edit on 30-3-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The BIG ONE could come anytime.....in the next 5000 yrs.....relax and enjoy the ride people because the more is said and done...the more will be said and the less will be done....as per usual

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Sad part is though, once a big one goes off the scale, might effect others around them like Yellowstone Nat Park! If something were to set that one off, then worry for us all. Even the strange ones in OK, is there even a fault there?

Some say it's due to fracking, sun flares or Earth just might be doing what it has done for since it was born. Price to pay living on a Wonderful Planet, nothing more. Cold? Going out that way would be kind and loving vs. what crule things people do to one another.

So people moved out of CA and now run CO! Did you know everything in the state of CA causes cancer? LOl but it is true. Back on track.......

Now how I see it, my 1 golden penny idea is simple. It all started with the 2 solar flares, next came the quakes hours later. Normally back in the early 1800's, would have ended being a 1/2 on the ric. At the end of the 1800's early 1900's they became stronger as we began borrowing the Oil.

More and more oil being taken and replaced with salt water will cause damage over time; some actually know this to be true yet left out the fine print. The idea was tossed out that it was plant life from long ago covered up. Then somehow it had majick powers and turned to oil. Lets use the coal idea, they said.

While this went about, people were living it up after that! Elect, Gas and we have came a long way. Actually though, some people think it everlasting! Now some became wise back in the day, noticing something strange. Where they have drilled was actually either over a sea from long ago, or a wasteland. In the 80's the real push began, now its the rush for the last drop.

So as we continue to Take the oil from the Earth, our Earth becomes Hotter. So to cover this up, they used Global Warming. What we call storms back in the day was a good day of rain and nothing more. Now they Have Names to remember them by!

Ready for the truth as I see it? Lets keep it simple. This planet is in the zone for warmth from the Sun. What protects earth is the outer layer of air and the field from N. to S. Also forgotten and left out was the Core itself! It spins and gives out its heat to warm the lands and waters also.

Other then turning oil into gas. What is the most important thing we use it for? Hint: It is in every eng out there! Now ask yourself Why? Starting to fit togetter?

You see, the Earth core stays at a constant temp keeping the Planet cool using the oil to spread out the heat from the Sun and its core. So some crazy juy came up using salt water to bring out the oil; floats it to the top of the well so less money drilling. Sad part is what happens when water becomes hot?

So now we have a very large hole with water, gets too hot and turns to steam, vapor and follows the eazyest way out. Just like a mountain when water runs down it, turns to ice and tears it down bit by bit, over time. Oil in great massed under pressure is what holds this land and world togetter.

We have nothing to protect us from our core. Sun rays have heated up the core so much that the heat is actually melting more of the ground itself. The cooling factor, oil and how it can handle pressure and displace heat are now gone. Explains the Earths poles tilting idea much more then north becoming south.

The Country that comes up with a new energy sorce will become the New Kingdom next in Power. So far all we could come up with is solar and wind, looks good but only covers up the real damage. Yet the cost to actually change it all would be high indeed and not cost people to lose their lives over something so small as oil.

Yet it runs pretty much Everything! Is in almost everything, and the people in Power know this! Funny though, if it all comes falling down so does the Power. Our Brains can find the God Partical, yet can not come up with any new ideas on Energy. Here I was taught Energy was everywhere in school.

Hopefully I did not get way off track. As I see it, it is the simplest truth out there. One could go back to steam eng, walking, or would say horse! But Hey, bikes are cool! Coal could still be used, but at a ditch effort to water the crops so we can all eat. What oil is left, by the way, US has plenty undergroung to last maybe 5+ yrs. Thats for protection and defence from others looking to grab whats left.

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Dang.. US- karma's a biatch! Maybe the Yellowstone Megavolcano and the associated chain reaction will finally stop the imperial American war machine??

new topics

top topics

join