It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Epidemic Could Become Global Crisis

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

....Nigeria is one of the wealthiest and most corrupt governments in Africa -

Bang on there!

Put that together with the wealth and corrupt crony corporatism currently concentrating (how's that alliteration working out for ya?) power across the planet, and it could certainly mean very bad things.

Regards secondary cases, I do believe this post I made ten days ago in the speculation thread addresses that very fact.

Ten days ago, meaning there could very well be tertiary cases out there now...
edit on 22-8-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: more

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
There is also a Virus spreading in Congo or did I mention that already??

I did but I didn't get a reply.

Its claimed 70 odd live's there already and infected over 550

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Sorry guy! ...no link there, and no confirmation that the mystery disease is Ebola. Any other updates? [Here's what I found.]

WHO says 70 died from hemorrhagic illness in DRC; denies outbreak is Ebola

Researchers are still trying identify the disease affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo
August 21, 2014 3:07PM ET
At least 70 people have died in northern Democratic Republic of Congo from an outbreak of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, the World Health Organization said on Thursday, denying that the illness was Ebola.

A WHO report issued Thursday and seen by Reuters said that 592 people contracted the disease and 70 of them have died. Five health care workers, including one doctor, are among the dead.

"This is not Ebola," a WHO spokesman said in an email to Reuters on Thursday.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Great post. Thanks for the link. ...I actually think Nigeria's cases are way beyond tertiary and the epidemic started there around the same time as it did in patients from Kenema Hospital in Sierra Leone. Linked to the VHFC research in both locations.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Relevant to this thread by WHO on the reasons why the numbers have been underestimated and some of them will probably apply if it makes it to first world country's to a more or less degree for example social stigma and fear.

Why the Ebola outbreak has been underestimated

Situation assessment - 22 August 2014

The magnitude of the Ebola outbreak, especially in Liberia and Sierra Leone, has been underestimated for a number of reasons.

Many families hide infected loved ones in their homes. As Ebola has no cure, some believe infected loved ones will be more comfortable dying at home.

Others deny that a patient has Ebola and believe that care in an isolation ward – viewed as an incubator of the disease – will lead to infection and certain death. Most fear the stigma and social rejection that come to patients and families when a diagnosis of Ebola is confirmed.

These are fast-moving outbreaks, creating challenges for the many international partners providing support. Quantities of staff, supplies, and equipment, including personal protective equipment, cannot keep up with the need. Hospital and diagnostic capacities have been overwhelmed.

Many treatment centres and general clinics have closed. Fear keeps patients out and causes medical staff to flee.

In rural villages, corpses are buried without notifying health officials and with no investigation of the cause of death. In some instances, epidemiologists have travelled to villages and counted the number of fresh graves as a crude indicator of suspected cases.

In parts of Liberia, a phenomenon is occurring that has never before been seen in an Ebola outbreak. As soon as a new treatment facility is opened, it is immediately filled with patients, many of whom were not previously identified. This phenomenon strongly suggests the existence of an invisible caseload of patients who are not being detected by the surveillance system.

For example in Monrovia, Liberia’s capital, an Ebola treatment centre with 20 beds, which opened last week, was immediately overwhelmed with more than 70 patients.

An additional problem is the existence of numerous “shadow-zones”. These are villages with rumours of cases and deaths, with a strong suspicion of Ebola as the cause, that cannot be investigated because of community resistance or lack of adequate staff and vehicles.

In some areas, most notably Monrovia, virtually all health services have shut down. This lack of access to any form of health care contributed to the mobbing incident on Saturday at an Ebola holding facility in the West Point township, Liberia’s most disease-prone slum.

Rumours spread that the holding facility, hastily set up by local authorities in an abandoned schoolhouse, was actually a clinic for general health care. People from other communities brought their ailing family members there, where they were housed together with suspected Ebola patients.

The presence of patients from these other communities was resented by the West Point community, and this resentment contributed to the riot and subsequent looting, in which potentially contaminated materials were carried into these communities.

WHO epidemiologists in Sierra Leone and Liberia are working with other agencies, including Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors without Borders) and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, to produce more realistic estimates and thus communicate the true magnitude of needs.
www.who.int...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

fyi - It's not appropriate to copy and paste others' work without using the "quote" tags.

The WHO's overview is great, and the points made are made well - but it's incomplete due to needs for political correctness and toadying to funders. Fact is, Sierra Leone and Liberia tried to "cover-up" outbreaks in their countries, hoping that the virus would just "burn itself out" as it has done before. No doubt, they were encouraged to do so by the VHFC, which is conducting research on Lassa and Ebola in the area.

...So now, just the epicenter around Kenema Hospital in Sierra Leone, including chunks of Guinea and Liberia has grown to about 20,000 square kilometers - of jungle. Supposedly it's quarantined - but these people definitely know how to get around in the forest. And nobody's going in there with a notebook and calculator - never mind a rapid Ebola test kit.

...The numbers are a joke. The only people on the list are the ones who can and do ask for help, and have somewhere accessible to go for help.

It's an unbelievably complex situation.

PS. The WHO is taking it up the butt on this one - their funding was cut, and they had to downsize their emergency response capability. Now they're being held accountable for shortfalls they did not create. Sucks.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"Ebola fears in Nigeria have heightened after two more people tested positive, despite having no contact with the man who brought the virus into the country."

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow
a reply to: joho99

fyi - It's not appropriate to copy and paste others' work without using the "quote" tags.

New here thanks for the heads up.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

More than 1,300 people have died from the disease and many experts do not expect the epidemic to be brought under control this year.

The WHO said it had drawn up a draft strategy plan to combat Ebola in West Africa over the next six to nine months, implying that it does not expect to halt the epidemic before the end of the year.

Yikes. Let's hope they are wrong and they can get this under control.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: quirkygirl

Just reviewed 2 very different Ebola overviews, one from CTV Canada and the other from NPR in the US. Both have inaccuracies. The CTV piece reads like irresponsible, sensationalized scare-mongering, while the NPR offering seems a tad, um, overly reassuring.

Ebola outbreak: Five reasons why it's out of control

The Dread Factor: Why Ebola And 'Contagion' Scare Us So Much

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Thanks for the links. I read/listened to both. Very interesting how media puts different spins on things. I'm worried we are in for a world of trouble, quite literally.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: quirkygirl

Me too. Am also worried that the trouble we're in is not what we think it is.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
There is no need to worry about this. Getting the ebola is like the chance of getting struck by lightning, or winning the lottery. So many people on this planet and your odds are 1,000 people have it compared to the 9 or so billion people on this planet. DO the math. I'm pretty sure that it is more favorable of odds to get struck by lightning than to catch the ebola zombie virus.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
THEY cured EBOLA so now it doesn't matter we just have to get the meds out there...UNTAINTED by poisons which will be the hard part apparently.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u
There is no need to worry about this. Getting the ebola is like the chance of getting struck by lightning, or winning the lottery. So many people on this planet and your odds are 1,000 people have it compared to the 9 or so billion people on this planet. DO the math. I'm pretty sure that it is more favorable of odds to get struck by lightning than to catch the ebola zombie virus.

Now yes but as the numbers increase the odds drop or to put it another way imagine each year you had to get one less number to win or every month the lightning strikes doubled

And i think it is 7 billion+ people atm

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
THEY cured EBOLA so now it doesn't matter we just have to get the meds out there...UNTAINTED by poisons which will be the hard part apparently.

They cured ebola ? Why did doctors who attended patients die then ? Why are people still dying ? You mean to say that they are purposefully letting people die of ebola when they have the CURE. I don't buy it AND i won't buy their cure either.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: cloaked4u They cured ebola ?

yeah i missed that too.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I read that they didn't have that much of the cure because it was experimental. Now they have to make more which will take time...

But I have to say that this whole Ebola outbreak seems to have gone down wrong from the beginning. Their approach was casual at first because Ebola has never spread like wildfire like it is now......it was always very rural before, and containable. But now it's in high population zones, and that makes this outbreak unprecedented. I have read that Liberia has sealed in the West Point slum. After the raid on the Ebola clinic there, where people ran off with infected sheets and mattresses, and other equipment, well, those people are doomed. A couple of weeks from now we will be reading about the massive Ebola deaths, the stench, the cruelty of locking healthy in with the sick. Well, it won't be pretty.

I'll guess there are 10,000 dead from Ebola, when counting the "shadow deaths" that the WHO has been forced to acknowledge. With students fromAfrica heading back to scholl in probably every county.....international travel.....I think it will spread world wide. Is this the ELE? No. It's a dress rehearsal.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: cloaked4u

ALL cancer too but the money will stop it and they want to depopulate Africa.
www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join