It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.8 earthquake rocks US Yellowstone National Park

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Wow! You aren't joking.

Showing up especially good HERE

I often refer to a 'double-tap' appearance of quakes in the park...this is pretty much non-stop though.

Interesting!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchistoOfTheNorth

Did you not bother to read the post you literally quoted me from. I said it was noteworthy, but it's not a red flag for catastrophe.

30 years ago there was a slightly larger earthquake than the recent one.

20 years before that there was a much larger 7.8 earthquake in yellowstone.

Neither of those quakes preceded an immediate eruption of a super-volcano. Some of you would love for it to happen and think it's exciting and you get off on the fear mongering, that's cool.. but I'm just providing some facts about recent quake history there.

You people also fail to realize that these earthquakes actually release pressure that has been built up. That's a good thing.

And just found a quote from the USGS on the recent earthquakes:

"That series of earthquakes and where they occurred in Yellowstone are very typical of the area," said Dr. Harley Benz, scientist-in-charge of earthquake monitoring at the USGS.

Link
edit on 4/1/2014 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Care to go into detail about how earthquakes release built up pressure is actually a myth? I'm very curious how science will be negated. Unless something was taken out of context? Regardless the pressure built up in yellowstone that everyone is worried about is related to a volcano, it's good to have a small earthquake releasing some of that pressure.
edit on 4/1/2014 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Earthquakes don't relieve pressure...
Nor did anyone say the end of the world is coming, Just that a 4.8 earthquake is noteworthy.
I'm done here.

edit on 4-1-2014 by AnarchistoOfTheNorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Lil Drummerboy

violet

Lil Drummerboy
AS i had stated in the original yellowstone thread..
the USGS said the last time the uplift and mag was of this concern was 1980
Also when Mt St Helens blew its top..

Interesting, are we keeping an eye on St. Helens?

I think if Helen started to grumble,. we would know it right away..
havent heard a thing

Ok good to know, that's pretty close to me

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Just to calm the nerves a bit

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

QueenofSpades
I'm thinking back to the movie 2012...

Remember in the beginning how the passerby's noticed the multiple sinkholes and cracks?

Just was seeing if there is a possible connection...land does appear to show some unstableness lately:

Sinkholes in various places
Massive landslide in Washington
Cali quakes
Oklahoma quakes
Yellowstone activity and quakes

The landslide in Washington is a weather event not a geological event. It rains a lot, the ground gets saturated and the weight of it causes the soil to move

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

rigel434
I've been surprised how muted the public reaction to this has been. The USGS statement basically acknowledges the quake was caused by uplift at Norris- I thought that would get a big reaction in the media- Drudge headline, etc. It actually deserved a bigger reaction than it got. I believe this to be the most significant event at Yellowstone since the 1959 quake.

Maybe it's just a hardcore group of junkies who really play close attention to this stuff. Jake Lowenstern should start his own private 1-900 number where, for $2.99 a minute, he will tell Yellowstone junkies what's REALLY happening in the park.

I don't think you can buy the truth @ 2.99 per minute

Right, not many people pay attention to it.
Very few people are obsessing over yellowstone like Sheldon does.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The heartbeat for a short time last night is classic something is moving in the vent system. Stuff moves and has moved before under Yellowstone. Key is to watch ground deformation does it continue, or does it accelerate.

We don't know the piping system. A passage between sections of chamber could have opened and the New Norris Dome (NND) could start to deflate.

Passage could have opened more and chamber of NND will continue to fill and grow for what, 2 or 3 more of our lifetimes. The time here is on a scale we cannot comprehend in our lives.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Also watch for changes in terms. We now have an area of uplift (~60x40KM). If it continues to grow it will become the New Norris Dome (NND). An uplift is watched, a dome is a concern. We have a long way and many,many ,many more earthquakes to get to a dome. And based on history, in a year or two this uplift will deflate. If it does not and the cycle continues .....

But again it could take months, years, or lifetimes to build a dome. This is the unknown

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchistoOfTheNorth

Speaking personally i'm a little over all the *fear mongering* allegations on this site any time anyone says anything scary or controversial. Man this is supposed to be a conspiracy forum....

where else to all the paranoid nervous people go to talk about possible doom scenarios if not here?

if people can't handle what's posted, then perhaps conspiracy forums aren't your cup of tea....go to a support group forum for delicate people who can't cope with possible disasters or life being tough....geez....

so if i want to talk about the possibility of calif falling off into the sea on this forum, i will, and if ppl dont like it or are too scared to discuss that, then they should probably be on a less controversial forum....

so sick of all these 'you're fear mongering' allegations. what's with that? all it does is make ppl afraid to talk for fear of offending others and stifle free discussion

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
okay this will be gross but let's put to bed this argument about earthquakes signalling a release of pressure rather than a build up.

it's like this:

say you have had a large meal, and you have wind...gas....
because you have a build up of pressure in your intestine, you need to go to the bathroom to release it
the gas you get before that or wind, is signalling the fact that a huge release of pressure is about to and needs to occur (you going to the bathroom); the wind beforehand signals that there is a build up of pressure in your intestine that needs to be released and WILL be soon.
yes, the wind temporarily does relieve some pressure, but it also signals that there is a massive build up of pressure going on.

get it now?

going to the bathroom is like the volcanic eruption
the gas/wind is the earthquakes that precede it....

sorry for the gross analogy but it had to be done....i hope you now understand about earthquakes, volcanoes and pressure build up....(compare to magma chamber filling etc.)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Lil Drummerboy
AS i had stated in the original yellowstone thread..
the USGS said the last time the uplift and mag was of this concern was 1980
Also when Mt St Helens blew its top..

Are you claiming that these two events were related and if so please show how. One is in the cascadia subduction zone the other is not. If they were related I've never seen the data suggesting it. Not that I'm any kind of expert or even that I have any great interest. Other than when something like Mt. St. Helens occurs that is.
Oh and Mt. St. Helen didn't blow it's top . It blew it's side out.
edit on AM000000300000000441435302014-04-01T07:35:02-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM000000300000000441436302014-04-01T07:36:13-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

So you think this site would be better served if it was just the conspiracy theorists patting each other on the back saying you're right by golly. I agree.
No counter point of view allowed. Just the cts shoreing up each other's crazy ideas without editorial by any other minds. Ok. But the membership is about to seriously drop in that case. Hey I hear that's how they do things at GLP.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by QueenofSpades

Yeah I'm pretty sure like 100%positive the landslide was cause by rain.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I am happy to sell the truth to you all for 2.99 a minute ..........

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

AnarchistoOfTheNorth
reply to post by Drezden

Nor did anyone say the end of the world is coming, Just that a 4.8 earthquake is noteworthy.
I'm done here.

The OP was suggesting the explosion of a super volcano, and you replied to my post where I disagreed with that line of thought.

I said the quake was noteworthy, but not unusual, you made a big deal about how this was abnormal and serious, and now that I provide a quote from the USGS saying there's nothing out of the norm you can't gracefully admit you were mistaken, you're just "done". Well as am I.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

AnarchistoOfTheNorth
reply to post by Drezden

I'm done here.

Yes quakes do relieve pressure . thats the whole point of quakes . i was tought that back in high school.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I'm shivering in my knees at seeing all these alarming quake swarms at that caldera......

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Thomas Jordan said the following.

it’s a myth that big quakes — like Friday’s 5.1 in La Habra — release the stress on faults. “They don’t relieve the pressures that cause earthquakes very much

Perhaps you ask him. He looks to be more qualified to answer your query than a fellow ATSer.

Just sayin'

Ph.D. , California Institute of Technology, 8/1972 M.S. ,
California Institute of Technology, 6/1970 B.A. ,
California Institute of Technology, 6/1969
University Professor, University of Southern California, 01/01/2004
Director, Southern California Earthquake Center, 02/01/2002-
W.M. Keck Foundation Professor of Geological Sciences,
University of Southern California, 09/01/2000- Robert R. Shrock Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1984-2000 Head, Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences Department, Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
1988-1998 Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego,
1982-1984 Associate Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, 1977-1982
Assistant Professor, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, 1975-1977
Assistant Professor, Princeton University, 1972-1975

Thomas H. Jordan is a University Professor and the W. M. Keck Foundation Professor of Earth Sciences at the University of Southern California. His current research is focused on system-level models of earthquake processes, earthquake forecasting, continental dynamics, and full-3D waveform tomography. He is an author of more than 200 scientific publications, including two popular textbooks

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join