It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone really famous to almost everyone? Will fame die?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Is anyone ever famous to almost everyone? It seemed at one time that there were less famous people, we have all heard the prediction that we would all be famous for 5 minutes. This has become true, but still there is an acceptance that there still exists people who are known by almost everyone. But I wonder if this is true, or ever really was? Maybe it was always an illusion all along. After all there was always people who had no tv: how many people India know of Hollywood stars? Also social media is expanding, and people are more linked together, and I for one watch stuff from the internet more than the tv: a trend I am sure will continue. So will fame die out, or has real fame died out already?

If it does die out I for one am not sure this is bad, after all it puts too much influence in the hands a group of people who may be inappropriate to wield it.
edit on 30-3-2014 by werewolf99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by werewolf99

I think you have to divide up the famous-known-by-everyone into the western world, Asia and India, Africa, and maybe Australia all by itself. Unless you are a world traveler (either in person or on the net) then different cultures will have different super-famed people.

Personal story: Two friends and I were once discussing who the next person would be that the whole "world" would mourn, which only happens once or thrice in a generation. We went over many names, brought up many fields, and nobody there mentioned one name.....and then a week later Princess Di died.
edit on 30-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

werewolf99
This has become true, but still there is an acceptance that there still exists people who are known by almost everyone. But I wonder if this is true, or ever really was? Maybe it was always an illusion all along. After all there was always people who had no tv: how many people India know of Hollywood stars? Also social media is expanding, and people are more linked together, and I for one watch stuff from the internet more than the tv: a trend I am sure will continue.

fa·mous
[fey-muhs] Show IPA
adjective
having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated

I think some people are for ever famous all over the world...

Jesus, Alexander the great, Cleopatra, Julius Ceasar, Napoleon Bonapart just to name a few.

And they never had a youtube channel!!

Not everybody is famous through modern media.

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I don' t think that everyone is famous through modern media, but there are a lot of people who are nearly so. I suppose that if the growth of connection and interest in NORMAL PEOPLE is high enough and the amount of fame of FAMOUS PEOPLE is static: which is would be with no where else to go: then eventually the fame could die out. It is really a growth rate competing with a static one then the growing variable will win: probably.
edit on 30-3-2014 by werewolf99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I think there are two kinds of fame.

Fame through art, entertainment or popular culture and fame through achievement (for instance in science).

I agree that everybody will probably get their 15min. of fame (Warhole) in the future and therefor fame in that aspect could die out. But probably everybody also knows Einstein, Newton etc and their fame is of a different kind. Their achievements have an impact on every day life regardless of opinion.

Please correct me if I misunderstood what you are trying to say.

Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
World shaping fame > Pop culture fame. As pointed out, famous historical figures are the immortals..todays rich folks and such are equal to the aristocrats of old...super popular in circles, and quickly forgotten once they are gone.

Christopher Columbus will be remembered from his voyage and discovery. Paris Hilton..quickly forgotten

One of the reasons people try to amass wealth is to be remembered..but they will be quickly forgotten unless they do something to progress humanity.
I would have said that Richard Branson would be remembered for awhile considering he was attempting to get people in space and make his mark on humanity, but he has sort of lost steam there.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Fame will only die when there are no people left to talk about their silly bs.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I AM.
second line.......

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Fame will die when people stop worshiping false idols..
All the world is a stage, time to step out of the theater and see whats really going on

new topics

top topics

join