It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tombs of Herihor, Piankh and Menkheperre found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
British egyptologist John Romer (72) claims to have found the tombs of Herihor, Piankh and Menkheperre according to the Sunday Times today.

Herihor, Piankh and Menkheperre where three Priest Kings that lived about 1,000 BC in what was a very prosperous period in Ancient Egypt.

Romer claims that his findings will make

golden treasures of Tutankhamun look like a “display in Woolworths”
- a bold claim indeed.

Romer is certainly well respected and has hosted many British TV archaeology series including Romer's Egypt, Ancient Lives, Testament, The Seven Wonders of the World, Byzantium: The Lost Empire and Great Excavations: The Story of Archaeology.

I'm looking forward to updates on this story.

-MM

edit on 30-3-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

I've asked this before, but how many years have to pass before tomb robbing is no longer considered tomb robbing? This guy sounds like a common thief that the kings and others were protecting themselves against. The only difference is time.

The last time a major tomb was opened by a tomb robber/honored archeologist I wrote a fake news article on uncyclopedia, a satire site, about an Egyptian archeologist coming to America to find and open the tomb of Martin Luther King, Jr., located in the valley of the Kings in Atlanta, Georgia.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The greatest treasures will not be gold or gem stones but any records or scrolls buried with them.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

never mind
edit on 30-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Here is more information about the three Priest Kings whose tombs have been found.

Herihor

Herihor was an Egyptian army officer and High Priest of Amun at Thebes (1080 BC to 1074 BC) during the reign of Pharaoh Ramesses XI although Karl Jansen Winkeln has argued that Piankh preceded Herihor as High Priest at Thebes and that Herihor outlived Ramesses XI before being succeeded in this office by Pinedjem I, Piankh's son based on the decoration program of the Temple of Khonsu at Karnak which depicts the chief priests Herihor and then Pinedjem I, serving in this office but never Piankh. If true, Herihor would have served in office as chief priest—after succeeding Piankh—for longer than just 6 years as is traditionally believed.

Piankh

Funerary stele of Piankh

Reigned 1,074–1,070 BC. While the High Priest of Amun Piankh (or Payankh) has been assumed to be a son-in-law of Herihor and his heir to the Theban throne of the High Priest of Amun, recent studies by Karl Jansen-Winkeln of the surviving temple inscriptions and monumental works by Herihor and Piankh in Upper Egypt imply that Piankh was actually Herihor's predecessor and father in-law.

Menkheperre

Menkheperre, son of Pharaoh Pinedjem I by wife Henuttawy (daughter of Ramesses XI by wife Tentamon), was the High Priest of Amun at Thebes in Ancient Egypt from 1045 BC to 992 BC and de facto ruler of the south of the country.

Amulet with the name of Menkheperre

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Thanks, nice. And I'm stealing Slayer's map from his first post on the other thread, which is now closed. He will chase me down and make me give it back, but until then...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Yeah in the article it said about other treasures from tombs being moved here for safe keeping.

If they haven't been looted already we will soon be looking at some absolute beautiful gold workings. I do hope they find heaps of scrolls also.

But what makes this guy think it hasn't been looted? The sole reason king Tut was so extravagant is he was forgotten, with this place other treasures being moved there makes me think it was known perhaps by afew people.

Please still be there!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Sparta
Yeah in the article it said about other treasures from tombs being moved here for safe keeping.

If they haven't been looted already we will soon be looking at some absolute beautiful gold workings. I do hope they find heaps of scrolls also.

But what makes this guy think it hasn't been looted? The sole reason king Tut was so extravagant is he was forgotten, with this place other treasures being moved there makes me think it was known perhaps by afew people.

Please still be there!

True. According to Slayer's map posted above it's not too far away from The Valley of The Kings where most found tombs were looted in antiquity, so why should not these tombs be looted also? I'm guessing that Romer has already gathered some clues that they are indeed not looted - alas he might have discovered something that he has not revealed yet.

-MM

edit on 30-3-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Valley of the Kings will seem like a 'display in Woolworths' in comparison.

I love the Woolworth comparison since that store has been closed for decades now

edit on 30-3-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Sunday Times want me to subcribe first..booo

These priest kings lived in very troubled times Ramesis XI had to share power with Harihor , Piankh and Semedes ,

a certain near userper Pinehesy the viceroy of Nubia incharge of the gold mines and Medjay forces almost took it all and was driven south however the mines were lost forever to the Nubians who began to reassert their independence and within a couple of generations would claim all of Kemet ,interesting connection to the personal name of Piankh with that of Piankhi the Kushte who came control all of Kmt,might be just a coincidence but he is described also as the king's son of Kush and given the intermingling of high status folks from both sides of the boarder I would not be surprised,after all the later 25th dynasty claimed legitimacy and was not looked upon as foreigners but as restores of Maat.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

crazyewok
The greatest treasures will not be gold or gem stones but any records or scrolls buried with them.

I personally hope they will find something that will prove once and for all that the ancients were a lot more advanced than we give them credit for today.

Spider879

These priest kings lived in very troubled times Ramesis XI had to share power with Harihor , Piankh and Semedes ,

a certain near userper Pinehesy the viceroy of Nubia incharge of the gold mines and Medjay forces almost took it all and was driven south however the mines were lost forever to the Nubians who began to reassert their independence and within a couple of generations would claim all of Kemet ,interesting connection to the personal name of Piankh with that of Piankhi the Kushte who came control all of Kmt,might be just a coincidence but he is described also as the king's son of Kush and given the intermingling of high status folks from both sides of the boarder I would not be surprised,after all the later 25th dynasty claimed legitimacy and was not looked upon as foreigners but as restores of Maat.

So, it was all about gold to cling on to power - even back then? Today I guess oil has replaced gold when it comes to clinging on to power - how little we have changed in many ways...

Interesting connection, but for all we know Piankh was a common name like William today. Does the dates match up with Piankh's?
edit on 31-3-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

MerkabaMeditation

crazyewok

I personally hope they will find something that will prove once and for all that the ancients were a lot more advanced than we give them credit for today.

Spider879

So, it was all about gold to cling on to power - even back then? Today I guess oil has replaced gold when it comes to clinging on to power - how little we have changed in many ways...

Interesting connection, but for all we know Piankh was a common name like William today. Does the dates match up with Piankh's?

Yeah just imagine if Alaska and Texas declared independence.
About the names Piankh and Piankhi there are no provable links just guess work on my part but during that era a lot of effort was made to unite the Nile so alot of families on both sides were intermarrying especially the upper classes many of the leading figures in kmt proper were of Nahasi extraction if not birth like Pianahasi and Sermont, who was called an Ordinary Medjay (Nubian) "Chief of the Medjay a man who rose from the ranks of humble beginnings,the later Piankhi was about two generations later,by that time the Libyans to the West exerted their influence and were so hard on the populous that the leading families of the eternal capital city Thebes or Waset called on the southerners to restore order in "my opinion" this would include old family ties,this would lend legitimacy it also didn't hurt that apart from the gold the southerners had control of the birth place of Amun

Jebel Barkal the birthplace of Amun or Nesut-Tawy (“Thrones of the Two Lands.”)
The corrupt nature and seeming incompetence also lost them their Asian domain.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Aleister

Thanks, nice. And I'm stealing Slayer's map from his first post on the other thread, which is now closed. He will chase me down and make me give it back, but until then...

Oh, I'm sure Slayer doesn't mind. To do it right takes two things, credit the source and if possible take it further. You credited him for it, so that seems on the up and up. To take it further would have made him happier though. Like so.

And the Valley of the Queens, of course.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

I visited both the Valley of The Kings and Queens many years ago. I got the impression that the valleys may have been beautiful green & lush back in antiquity - I could not imagine any king that would like being buried basically in a pile of rubble as today it's just sand, rock, and in general rather uninviting.

-MM

new topics

top topics

join