It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian mayor demands Alaskan island be returned to Russia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

March 26 (UPI) -- A Russian mayor in the Siberian city of Yakutsk has demanded that a small Alaskan island be returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.

Click link for the remainder of the insanity.

Has the world run out of Prozac or what? Every time we turn around there is another country demanding territory from another nation. Is it really going to take humanity sending humanity back into the stone age in order to resolve these idiotic reasons?

All that time and effort to claim territory only to find out in the end that the Annunaki have returned to enforce their claim on Earth.

I have to agree with a comment that was made in another thread... This is turning into a real life version of spy verses spy.

ETA - Apparently it can become more absurd.
Thousands sign WhiteHouse.gov petition for Alaska to secede -- to Russia

To answer the age old question about states leaving the union - It cannot be done unilaterally.
edit on 30-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Xcathdra

March 26 (UPI) -- A Russian mayor in the Siberian city of Yakutsk has demanded that a small Alaskan island be returned to the Russian Orthodox Church.

Click link for the remainder of the insanity.

Has the world run out of Prozac or what? Every time we turn around there is another country demanding territory from another nation. Is it really going to take humanity sending humanity back into the stone age in order to resolve these idiotic reasons?

All that time and effort to claim territory only to find out in the end that the Annunaki have returned to enforce their claim on Earth.

I have to agree with a comment that was made in another thread... This is turning into a real life version of spy verses spy.

ETA - Apparently it can become more absurd.
Thousands sign WhiteHouse.gov petition for Alaska to secede -- to Russia

To answer the age old question about states leaving the union - It cannot be done unilaterally.

They can have it on the condition that Sarah Palin is transferred along with the island.

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
They can have it on the condition that Sarah Palin is transferred along with the island.

I'll see your Sarah Palin and raise you a Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Am I missing something here? Russia sold Alaska to the US, and now a Russian mayor is "demanding" an Alaskan island be returned to Russia? Um, maybe you shouldn't have sold it in the first place? This is comically nonsensical.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

ghostfacekilah00
Am I missing something here? Russia sold Alaska to the US, and now a Russian mayor is "demanding" an Alaskan island be returned to Russia? Um, maybe you shouldn't have sold it in the first place? This is comically nonsensical.

Yup.. Insanity and absurdity seems to be the new catch phrase.

With that being said the Russians don't seem to care about treaties. They seem to only concentrate on the historical view, regardless of who owns it now.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
From the OP article:

"2014 we will mark the 220th anniversary of the Russian Orthodox Church mission to North America and this is a perfect time to pay attention to the Russian America. I stand for the restoration of historical justice -- the return of Spruce Island to its lawful owner -- the Russian Orthodox Church." Yakutsk Mayor Aysen Nikolayev told a local newspaper.

Yakutsk researchers claim they found a certificate of transfer in the Alaskan capital of Juneau that says the island was granted to the Russian Orthodox Church "for eternity." A senior church official said the papers must be studied for verification of their validity.

Spruce island has 250 residents who are still considered to be living on American soil.

Maybe they have an actual claim, I suppose time will tell...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Neither Pelosi nor Obama live in, or are from Alaska. So it wouldn't work.

Palin can see Russia from her backyard, so she wouldn't notice the difference.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

If Israel can get a whole country by using a book, Russia should be able to get a bit with a certificate.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Neither Pelosi nor Obama live in, or are from Alaska. So it wouldn't work.

Palin can see Russia from her backyard, so she wouldn't notice the difference.

That's not an issue at all for Russia.. I mean look at Crimea. Plenty of non Russians there and Putin welcomed them with a dagger in his hands.

Remember, a true friend stab you in the front. I will go ahead and call with my raise of Obama and Pelosi

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

ZeussusZ
reply to post by Elton

If Israel can get a whole country by using a book, Russia should be able to get a bit with a certificate.

Take that up with the British.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

With that being said the Russians don't seem to care about treaties.

Tell that to the Native American population. People in glass houses and all that.

P

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   

ghostfacekilah00

They gave Crimea to Ukraine and they got that back, so why not try this?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

If they can produce the alleged certificate, things will get very interesting indeed.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Maybe the native Americans should demand the return of the US land back to the tribes that owned it before we took it from them ....that was the first time we occupied a land and have been doing it pretty much ever since .

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   

markosity1973
reply to post by Elton

If they can produce the alleged certificate, things will get very interesting indeed.

No it won't. You can't sell something and then say oh look we have a paper saying it's ours "for all eternity" so give it back.

For all eternity is not legally binding.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Don't be so sure of yourself on that one.....

Clearly you have not visited the antipodes where we have a little thing called the Treaty of Waitangi. More and more land is given back to the Maori people of New Zealand every year because of it. The aborigines of Australia have also started raising and winning in some cases demands over land that was taken from them.

These things can be challenged and won through the legal system. All you need is proof that you owned the land in the first place AKA said certificate for Spruce Island.

edit on 30-3-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
There are many claims for territory and adding one more is just crass politics. Claiming someone else's territory is a neat way to stir up the nationalists.

China has claims from all her neighbours although the dispute with Japan is the "claim of the moment". Argentina claims particularly every scrap of earth between Buenos Aires and Africa. Two countries who exist on stirring up a nationalist front to divert people from internal politics.

Personally, I have always thought England should claim half of France, as was back on the good old days.

Regards

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JHumm

reply to post by pheonix358

Tell that to the Native American population. People in glass houses and all that.

P

Since North America was colonized by European powers and not the US (we did not even exist at the time) our glass house is ok for now.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Spruce island has 250 residents who are still considered to be living on American soil.

Please note this number for when the vote happens.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   

I was referring to the treatise signed by the Federal Government of the US that gave North American Natives titles to tracts of land and then took those lands away. Time and time again The US Government has reneged on such treatise.

P

<<   2 >>

join