It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets discuss Tarot..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Ok so lets discuss Tarot here.

Please list Tarot cards pros and cons.

How do you use Tarot?

Can Tarot be misused?

Does Tarot have a tendency to manifest negative ethereal ramifications?

How do you prepare your cards?

Oh, what happens if you throw them away?

Thats the big one.

I prepare mine by sleeping with them under my pillow for 7 days and then looking at each individual card and studying the symbology of the card. Then i read the book and learn the book. Essentially i create a relationship with each card. I never use them to read someone else.

Anything else to add?

I use the Crowley deck by the way.
edit on 3/29/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I have been studying the Tarot off and on for a couple years.. I have a Thoth deck and Crowley's Book of Thoth.
My understanding of the Tarot hasn't gotten far. Recently I watched a a lecture on youtube by Lon Milo.
It's very very long.. But I highly recommend it!
I've finally been able to make some sense out of the Thoth deck and it's many secrets, thanks to watching it.. This lecture will seriously help anyone in their pursuit of learning the many secrets and symbolism of the Thoth Deck and the Rose Cross.

Sexual Alchemy and the Thoth Tarot:
Part 1: (long back story until 1:05:05, I'd recommend starting here unless you want to hear it.)
www.youtube.com...
Part 2:
www.youtube.com...
Part 3:
www.youtube.com...
Part 4:
www.youtube.com...

edit on 30-3-2014 by DenyFlatulence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Lucky cards

I prefer blackjack
The joker rarely laughs
Dealer has your back

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

so... random cards that comes up in a random way will determin the future?
With random images.

SOUNDS LEGIT...

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I have three decks, two similar in character, the other an oracle deck.

I mix up the method of readings and use different decks depending on what I want to know, and what my intuition leads me to.

For instance, I will do a 10 card celtic cross or the 12 card yearly forecast spread with one of the Rider-Waite decks (usually the older Radiant deck), if I want a clear, in-depth reading of the direction one of my anyone's life will take in the near future.

For myself, I will use my oldest Rider-Waite (Radiant) deck that I have a very close bond with and which is always correct. With this deck I will usually shuffle it until a card flies out or when the cards just can't be shuffled any longer, then I will cut the deck for a one card reading. When my psychic abilities seem clouded, I will then consult the oracle deck (one card reading) as it forces me to focus and meditate on the card longer and aids in my re-grounding.

Lately, at a gathering, I was asked for readings and used the oracle deck for three card readings (past, present, future) and even though I had a few alcoholic drinks, everyone commented that their readings were shockingly correct.

Some say never to read the tarot cards while under the influence due to negative forces getting a foothold. I disagree with this for myself, because my abilities are very strong as is my will, so I am always the master.

I also tried tarot readings based on numerology; a person's numerological birthdate translated into a major arcana tarot card (first ten arcana cards), but there was some confusion if a person's numerological birthday resulted in an 11, that it should not have been taken down to 1+1 = 2, which when using only 10 arcana cards, one would naturally have to reduce it back down once more.

Interestingly enough, after a personal one card reading for myself, I always knew the answer in the first place. I just wanted to bring it into the light for further exploration and acceptance.

As for throwing them away, I never have. But, it would seem if you throw them away in the trash, they are buried in a landfill and slowly decompose with time, and therefore, they are gone forever.
edit on 30-3-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

One other point, when looking at (reading) a card go with your first impression because the scenes on the cards are specific and the message is clear; you don't have to hunt for it.
edit on 30-3-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I had a brief period with Tarot, and in that time, I came to the feeling that they worked best as a personal introspection tool. The symbolism and meanings behind the cards were more suggestive than predictive and when you dialed into our yourself and made your own readings, you were, IMO, most likely to fasten onto those aspects that had the most meaning to you or tap into your subconscious in that manner.

We aren't always conscious of the things that are true, but IMO our subconscious mind always is, and if we get in touch with it, it will tell us. And Tarot was just a way of connecting those two elements. Sort of, "I know what I'm consciously telling myself, but now let's try to find out what I really feel about all this."

I still occasionally break out my Tarot today to help me get past a writer's block. The symbolism and ideals are still suggestive and can help me generate ideas when I tune in on a particularly sticky plot issue. They also work very well for brainstorming.

I'm sure that will get me flamed by true believers, but there it is.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Tarot are a tool. The aim being to instigate your own insights, and then not need the cards afterwards.

People's intentions and thoughts effect the outcomes, and of course the reader's perceptions alter things again.

Once you are confident with your own insights you will give your cards away.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I have a Rider-Waite deck...a newer print with the color penciled illustrations, and I usually get a 52% accuracy rating.

I did/do have a thread on where I did readings, but I got swamped with too many replies to keep up, but I have been thinking about making another thread where I just do one post for 5 people or something like that.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Do you know who Aleister Crowley was? He was the embodiment of evil itself. I don't use Tarot at all, if you play with fire you eventually get burnt.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AreUKiddingMe

What if i ask god to speak to me through the symbol of the cards?

What then?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I can ask my toenail clippers anything, or ask my socks a question. That doesn't mean they are going to answer me, now does it?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

AreUKiddingMe

Do you know who Aleister Crowley was? He was the embodiment of evil itself.

lol.

Anyways, I have the thoth tarot deck and have done some studying of it using liber 777 and the book of thoth. So, OP. You study a card every day? Do you choose randomly or go through systematically? And you say you don't do readings for others, do you do them for yourself?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Do you know who Aleister Crowley was? He was the embodiment of evil itself

How did you come to this conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong or right..
I'm just curious.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

I learn them over time. I just kind of let it happen like you would think. Im just consciously aware of it.

Yes i read, i look for insight, not necessarily future answers but guidance.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If you're bored and want to watch a video about him:
reply to post by DenyFlatulence

I read up about Aleister Crowley after having been exposed firsthand to some of the witchcraft in the 1980's. Israel Regardie was Aleister Crowley's personal secretary, and was a friend of my boss, Chic Cicero, of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.
edit on 30-3-2014 by AreUKiddingMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I've watched that Documentary before. Crowley Documentaries are either extremely biased one way or the other.
I have yet to see one that seems an accurate account of his life and work.

I am very interested in hearing more of your personal experience with witchcraft and any info you have to share from his secretary..
However, I do not wish to hijack OP's thread about the Tarot.
If you are so inclined you can p2p me about it? Or maybe I will start a Crowley thread to properly go into this topic.
As for now, I personally hold a somewhat neutral view on Aleister Crowley.

But, I do think his Thoth Deck along with Freida Harris' artwork is a work of total genius!

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

DenyFlatulence

I've watched that Documentary before. Crowley Documentaries are either extremely biased one way or the other.

What positive documentaries about Crowley are there? I ask because I would be interested in watching one.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I've been a tarot reader for over 40 years, and I have gotten to the point where I simply know what the cards are trying to explain to me. It takes a long time for any mind-brain-hand skill to gel into a substantive process, and as a guitarist whose been playing as long (actually, the same amount of years) I fully understand the requirement that the mind and brain are approaching the process properly and not imagining that the cards are anything other than a symbolic language that the brain-mind partnership have developed to communicate internally. In other words, if you're working with tarot correctly, you're not seeking answers from the cards themselves or from human spirits.

If you're a tarot reader, you're accessing your (or the seeker's) brain's capacity as a brilliant event trajectory calculator (which it actually is - research savantism for extreme manifestations of the brain's raw capacity for pattern and structure recognition) and translating the likely results of an ongoing chain of events by way of brain-body coordination. The predictions are akin the those of an experienced fielder who accurately predicts where a fly ball will complete its arc, and skillfully makes certain that his glove intercepts that trajectory's arc before the ball hits the ground. The card images - if you've learned them and internalized their unique and (per card) singular symbolism - are really clever and very specific shorthand statements, that are designed to balance and combine with the other card images within a spread to relate a narrative that an experienced reader will be able to interpret.

Between the brain's capacity to unconsciously analyze a confluence of ongoing event trajectories (chains of events) and how they will likely intersect, and the brain-mind-hand coordination brilliance (shuffling) that can develop over decades of serious training (watch Steve Vai - a brilliant electric guitarist - play to see how extreme this coordination can become), the mystical nature of the tarot is revealed to be a lot less mystical and a lot more down to earth.

Of course, there are the scam artists and salesmen who con people, but every form of communication and analysis is plagued by its own version of those jackasses. I don't read for clients and never have. I generally read for friends and family. My brother (a C-level exec with a software industry leader) always checks in with me before making a decision on his career, and since the late 1980s, I've never steered him wrong. He probably owes me a half million dollars by now, since he's relentlessly terrible at judging people and situations if left to his own devices. Why it works for him is that he firmly believes that I can unlock what his brain already knows with the tarot process, and I know him well enough to be really good at interpreting what his own brain is trying to tell him. It's not magic or mysticism. It's analysis and communication.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I agree with everything you said exactly.

This why i dont read for other people.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

The Major Arcana and the 22 Paths

As can be seen on the diagram above, there are 22 paths on the Tree of Life, one for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet (www.byzant.com...). There are also 22 cards in the Major Arcana of the Tarot, and each of these corresponds to a Hebrew letter and a path on the Tree of Life. The usual attributions of the Trumps to the paths is shown above, but some occultists offer slightly different attributions. Aleister Crowley (www.byzant.com...), for example, transposes the Star and the Emperor, so that the Emperor corresponds to the Hebrew letter tzaddi, and the Star to heh. This is in keeping with the Thelemic teaching of Crowley's Liber AL vel Legis (The Book of the Law), where it is written "All these old letters of my Book are aright; but Tzaddi is not the Star" (chapter 1:57).

Each path expresses the interaction between the pair of sefirot it connects. As a quick, much simplified example, Trump XXI, the World, concerns the successful completion of one phase and the start of another, as well as ideas of synthesis and crystallization. The interactions of sefirot nine, Yesod (Foundation), and ten, Malkuth (Kingdom) mirror these ideas, with the generative aspects of Yesod finding their fulfillment in Malkuth. The process of Creation ends in Malkuth, and the return begins through Yesod. The path and the World both correspond to the Hebrew letter tav, and again this is highly appropriate as it is the final letter of the alphabet and means 'cross', a symbol associated with the manifest world.

The above example is, of course, a greatly simplified distillation. The meanings of the paths can only be approached through much study and meditation, and the symbolism of a suitably designed Tarot deck can help in this process. Conversely, an understanding of the Kabbalah facilitates a much deeper understanding of the Tarot.

Source

In as much the Tarot presents a path to enlightenment.

Any thoughts?

edit on 1-4-2014 by Kashai because: Content edit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join