The Bible says in Galatians to be careful of those who preach another "Gospel" (so what is the 'G

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
According to Biblical Scholars, Galatians is older than Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John

Pauline Epistles, The 4 Gospels

First Thessalonians (ca. 51 AD)
Philippians (ca. 52–54 AD)
Philemon (ca. 52–54 AD)
First Corinthians (ca. 53–54 AD)
Galatians (ca. 55 AD)
Second Corinthians (ca. 55–56 AD)
Romans (ca. 55–58 AD)

Mark: c. 68–73, c. 65–70.

Matthew: c. 70–100,c. 80–85.

Luke: c. 80–100, with most arguing for somewhere around 85, c. 80–85.

John: c. 90–100, c. 90–110, The majority view is that it was written in stages, so there was no one date of composition.

So how was The Letter to Galatians preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ?

God is our eternally glorious Father and Jesus is our Lord who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from evil:

Galatians 1:3-5
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jesus is called The Son of God:

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Everyone who relies on "The Book" of The Law is cursed, through Jesus Christ we are justified through Faith and "The Book" is not based on Faith but by just living by these rules:

Galatians 3:10
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”

There are no mediators because that implies "more than one" and God is One:

(Jesus is called "Lord" because he is The Perfect Son of God who never sinned, and therefore was the perfect Image to rescue us from evil.)

Galatians 3:19-20 The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator. 20 A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but God is one.

You are not a slave of God, you are a Child of God:

Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but God’s child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir.

Jesus Christ came to give us Freedom, but we are warned that if we use our freedom for selfish purposes we will destroy each other, so living to be Humble and Help One Another is important:

Galatians 5:13-15
You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.

The spiritual battle, as far as you are concerned, is between your Body (Selfishness, Greed) and your Spirit (Humility, Love):

( The Law doesn't matter, because we are justified by Faith through God's Holy Spirit within US which acts through Love)

Galatians 5:16-18
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

And here is how we test ourselves to see if we actually have The Holy Spirit:

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

God will not be mocked and you will reap what you sow, so you might as well sow by the fruits of The Spirit (mentioned in Galatians 5:22) rather than The Flesh (the opposite of The Fruits of The Spirit - selfishness, impatience, etc.):

Galatians 6:7-8
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.

So think about all of this, and remember what was said at the beginning of Galatians:

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

So, according to Galatians, in Summary

- There is ONE God , who is not our "Lord" but our "Father"

- Jesus lived perfectly for us in order to rescue us from evil and being the perfect example is called "The Son of God"

- The "Law" is slavery but through Christ we have freedom and live through Faith

- The Law of Christ is one rule (which is why it's called 'freedom' through Christ): Be Humble and Serve one another through Love

- The 9 Fruits of The Spirit is summed up in The Fulfillment of The Law (Christ's Law - which is this singular Golden Rule)

- If Anyone uses "The Justification through Faith and Christ" as an excuse for Selfishness (The Body), will reap what they've sown.

- Reject anyone who is teaching you another Gospel (Good News) then what is being said here.

This is The Good News according to Galatians.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Paul wrote some letters to some people .He NEVER meant anyone to "follow" his writings like a rule book or law .Those are all conventions of religion Paul was opposed to.He knew religion very well.He was the self-proclaimed most religious man alive.He called himself the chiefest of sinners .

The bottom line is …the Good news of the gospel is "Yahoshua"..Yahweh IS salvation/deliverance for ALL of mankind into the kingdom of God .The Jesus gospel is religion and salvation for the "self" chosen few into fantasy place called heaven and the many are punished in eternal hell.Anyone who can't discern which is the good news believes in "another Jesus" and Not Yahoshua.

edit on 29-3-2014 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Galatians was written by Paul (saul). Paul was a disciple of Christ AFTER He was crucified. This letter to the Church of Galatia was written specfically to them in order to set them straight. Now, it is a warning for us as well, but if you are trying to say the writing of Matthew Mark Luke and John are anything other than the inspired word of God, you are sorely confused.

PS the dates you gave for when those Gospels were written are just not accurate and debunked by any serious scholar. There were events that happened such as, the destruction of the temple in 70 AD, and the death of Jesus's brother, James, in 62 AD. These things surely would've been included in the Gospels had they been written after the fact.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
So are you saying that people sin and use Jesus to toss away their guilt? To be more clear - instead of killing all those poor lambs every time someone sinned God said, 'enough already - you know you can kill a lamb so you sin knowing you can get out of it by just spilling the animals blood - so I will send a likeness of Myself and will reintroduce you to follow some very simple principles on how to live' - and He will take the place of the lamb. If this is where you were headed people are still using "the lamb" as an out and doing the very things they know better than to do (treating others badly).

I think the reason the Messiah was sent was to help make things easier (and more reasonable) but it doesn't mean people get it. Human nature is a powerful thing so it takes a lot more than faith in something otherworldly - it takes a relationship. That relationship creates feelings and feelings help to drive behavior. If I have a parent who I have a strong relationship with, who makes me feel safe and loved no matter what - I will become a safe and loving person. If I have no attachments at all I won't ever feel safe and won't really know what love is (because I have never felt or received it). In the later - I could only guess on what it's like to give love and security to another (or myself). His purpose with sending Jesus was to build relationship - therefore instilling the very values He wanted us all to abide by. In short - it has to be felt not thought.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I believe that if one spends enough time reading the Bible, listen to your favorite but knowledgeable speaker along with meditation the the whole entire word of God will open up and share with you things that you would have never be the same! These same secrets shared with Paul in his writings. The bible was written to you, the individual because you were born alone, you will die alone and you need a personal relationship with God! Just he and and when you start receiving those awesome revelations you just keep learning and then you are operating on nothing but faith and the Holy Spirit, you see??? He teaches you directly like he did others. These guys wrote the bible, but they were taught by God! More tomorrow guys......tired!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
To the response which criticised your comments on dates, I can only say- Well, John Robinson proposes slightly earlier dates for the written gospels, but the statement that Galatians was written earlier remains valid. Anyway, that is a side-issue.

My own criticism of the opening post would be that it ignores what Paul says about the death of Christ.

You have quoted "I have been crucified with Christ"- that is, he is now "dead" to his old life.
But being crucified "together with Christ" would not have been possible for anyone unless Christ had been crucified.
The opening verses of Romans ch6 spell it out more clearly.
The logic there is- "Christ died and was buried and was raised from the dead.
We have already "joined" Christ in dying and being buried and therefore we will join him in being raised."
So the death of Christ is key. If he did not die, he could not take us with him in his death.

Again, you quote from ch3 that Christ has redeemed us, but ignore Paul's explanation of how he redeemed us.
According to Paul, he redeemed us by "hanging on a tree"; that is, by being crucified.
The logic of ch3 goes like this;
1) The written law places everyone under a curse (apart from Christ himself).
That is because a statement in the law curses all those who don't obey the law, and everyone in the world falls into that category. v10
2) The event of the crucifixion places Christ under the same curse.
That is because a statement in the law curses everyone who "hangs on a tree", which can be applied to Christ hanging on the cross. v13
3) But the effect is that the curse imposed by the law has been transferred onto Christ and so taken away from the rest of us.
That is what is meant by the statement at the beginning of v13 that Christ has "redeemed us from the curse of the law".
So the death of Christ is key to Paul's understanding of redemption (see also Romans ch5).
it wasn't just by "living a perfect life".

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
nice jethro (man doesn't live by bread alone)

unless someone is willing to meditate on the scriptures day and night, it's a long & wide road

all sorts of (supposed) inconsistencies abound.. in the OP there's a little speedhump (the law is not important) i expect someone to come along any time now and quote "render to caesar all things due him" (and leave out the all-important 'but render to God everything due him' at the end of it, like how people misquote "{the love of} money is the root of all evil")

people tend to twist things to suit themselves like that..
i think the bible says it best; "anyone who loves the world is an enemy of God"

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

You misunderstood. Paul said "if you are led by the Spirit, the law is not important" (Galatians 5:18). The Spirit is Humility, Love, Peace, Joy (Galatians 5:13/Galatians 5:22) - it doesn't mean that selfishness and not holding to your responsibilities 'Give unto Caesar what is his'. It is The Flesh that wants to be selfish and not give (Galatians 5:19-21).

Yes, the law is not important, but only as described in Galatians when you are already living through The Spirit in Humility and Love because there is no Law against such things.

The Key to understanding is to go through the ENTIRE letter (like I mostly did here), not just take one or two 'verses' from Galatians to try to make it 'fit' something else. That is how confusion happens.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The law is a menstrual rag. A sign of not having a son in your womb. It is weak and useless. It is the bondage of sinand death. It hangs on the royal law like a millstone around your neck or the viper on Pauls hand (see the word hang). It is the power of sin and thus of death sin is the sting. Those who wish to be enslaved to it are told they should castrate themselves. It is likened to the flesh and Adam. It is the power of the principalities. The letter kills BUT the spirit gives life.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

According to Biblical Scholars, Galatians is older than Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
The chronological list of the writings of the New Testament books is probably right in as far as the ones listed relate to each other.
I would add Revelation as the earliest though.

So how was The Letter to Galatians preaching the Good News of Jesus Christ?
The word, Gospel, is one of the most debated in New Testament biblical studies.
A lot of scholars don't think that the so-called Gospels should even be called gospels.

- The "Law" is slavery but through Christ we have freedom and live through Faith
What we think of as the Law, otherwise known as the Torah, or in Greek, the Pentateuch, most people do not realize, is not the oldest part of the Bible, but could actually be very new, being virtually unknown in all the rest of the Old Testament, and even in the intertestamental writings.
edit on 30-3-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

jmdewey60
[The chronological list of the writings of the New Testament books is probably right in as far as the ones listed relate to each other.
I would add Revelation as the earliest though.

Then why is there no writings of anyone mentioning "The Book of Revelation" at an earlier date than those mentioning Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John?

What we think of as the Law, otherwise known as the Torah, or in Greek, the Pentateuch, most people do not realize, is not the oldest part of the Bible, but could actually be very new, - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then how did Jesus know about "Moses" and how were the people in the New Testament able to quote things from The Old Testament if The Old Testament is newer than the New Testament?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

..i suppose that's what i get for playing devils advocate back there

( The Law doesn't matter, because we are justified by Faith through God's Holy Spirit within US which acts through Love)

you did provide the quote(source) elsewhere back there, but i still expect someone will skim-read the OP and try to do with malice what i just attempted with humor..
thanks for the admonishment, i'll try to be more clear in future
edit on 30-3-2014 by UNIT76 because: Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you, Reprove a wise man and he will love you -prov 9:8?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Then why is there no writings of anyone mentioning "The Book of Revelation" at an earlier date than those mentioning Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John?
I think there is, but it just isn't called that.
What there is, is quotes from what we now call Revelation, showing up in very early writings.

Then how did Jesus know about "Moses" and how were the people in the New Testament able to quote things from The Old Testament if The Old Testament is newer than the New Testament?
Obviously the Torah was in existence before Christ.
I didn't say that the New Testament was older.
The Torah was probably written around 350 to 325 BC.
edit on 30-3-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The Bible Says This? Where? more a (PEEK-A-BOO tantilization). Id have to ask who wrote Galatians; (oh yes; a message from Paul to the Christians of Galatia) and why be suspicious of the writer of this tenent, as all else falls/fails before ITS content/wisdom; deny all other writings/books as they are not WORTHY of consideration. I know Paul to be narcissistic and a meglomaniac but really this is over the top; even for him. Hes trying to override history for his own histrionic gain (I would imagine for him; Galations would be the only one surviving book up for scrutiny, making for a thin trim
'Bible Pamphet' not needing to be bound, translated in many languages; one could zerox easily and drop from airplanes onto third world countries).

edit on 30-3-2014 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

It doesn't really matter considering that just because you might have seen an event and then described it later than someone else who saw something after you did.

We do it all the time on ATS.

Let's put it this way. Suppose you talk about a day spent at an amusement park in 1985. I read about it sometime later and then write about a day I spent at an amusement park in 1972.

I experienced the event first, but wrote about after you did, even though you wrote about your experience before I did.

new topics

top topics

join