It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watchtower: God WANTS to be called JEHOVAH!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

Well, then we agree on somethin', brother.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

We're both seeing eye to eye.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
god of israel (tribal god).
Majority of people in the
world however, see God as being universal

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Maigret

You're wrong. Yahweh was pronounced. We just don't know how it was pronounced because ancient Hebrew at that time did not support vowel marks. Jehovah is simply the Anglicized version of what could have been, Yahweh. I've heard a lot of people make the argument you're making about YHVH not being pronounced; by that argument, no word in ancient Hebrew would be pronounced because no ancient Hebrew word had vowel points.

ETA: I had to edit. I had syllables on the brain.

edit on 29-3-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

If you're so quick to say I'm wrong, you could at least argue your point better than you have.

Is 'Jehovah' or 'Yahweh' how YHWH is pronounced? As you said there were no vowels in ancient Hebrew, and yet both 'translations' have vowels... Then the question has to be, who picked which vowels to use, and who chose where, to insert them in YHWH?

It usually wouldn't matter if you mispronounced most words or names, such as the ancient Hebrew consonants; but where there is such importance in the name, I think pronounciation is a serious matter. You wouldn't want to inadvertently be insulting Him, would you?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Maigret

I'm not claiming that anybody knows how the names were originally pronounced. It's a, shall we say, mystery.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Maigret

I'm not claiming that anybody knows how the names were originally pronounced. It's a, shall we say, mystery.

I believe when the heart of men cries out God hasn't but a choice to hear.

Quoting Psalm 34:17-18

The righteous cry, and the LORD hears And delivers them out of all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit.…

The great "I am" is so fitting.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

There are parts of the King James that say, "My name is the LORD." First of all, Lord is not a name. That list that somebody presented on the first page of this thread is a list of mostly titles, not names. Adonai and Elohim are not names. Adonai simply means Lord, and Elohim simply means God, plural, supposedly to denote majesty. Jehovah or Yahweh, whatever you want to call him, is God's name as given in the Bible. I'm not stating my beliefs, I'm simply showing what the Bible says. Those times when the Bible says, my name is the LORD, it's pretty obvious that it's supposed to say an actual name, not Lord.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   

@gardener ... I flipped over the cover and read one of the first paragraphs that said God wants to be called Jehovah out loud to them, verbatim. I then questioned them: God really WANTS to be called Jehovah?
If I were you, I would have reminded them that ''Jehovah'' is derived from ''Yahweh''...which in turn was reconstructed from ''YHWH'', who's actual pronounciation has been lost.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Next time you talk to them ask them if they only believe in one god and if they say yes, just quote John 1:1-2 and ask them to explain it........cause, to me, it clearly says there that there are two gods.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning."

So which god wants to be called Jehova?
edit on 30-3-2014 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
In that case you should say "the existing One" when you talk about god because that is the meaning of the word Yehovah.

Especially Sikhs will get the reference in this form.

www.biblestudytools.com...
edit on 30-3-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

When I attended a course for sign language the JW's were there in full force learning sign to come and convert the deaf.
They were polite and friendly, inviting people on the course to their homes for coffee mornings etc. The question of only 144,000 are allowed to go to heaven was raised and they smiled, nodding enthusiastically but when asked which of their numbers would be included in the 144,000 had not reply.

I must admit I now just throw up my hands in horror when confronted by the multitudes of God Botherers because they all claim to have some kind of hot-line to God, are his best mate and know exactlt what he demands. The gap between knowing one is God and these God's Butlers gets wider each day for me.

I will add something that is probably not a popular belief but whenever I meet a religious person, they seem to me to have had their empathic link to humanity destroyed, especially the hardliners and you often hear the twiddle - "My wife is lost to me because she turned away from God'. For me its more likely she got fed up with you and your pompous and judgemental outlook on life and especially her. - mind you she might have gone off, possibly or not though, with someone else so she could enjoy life and not suffer life.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Just to throw this in there, Yeshua is Jesus actual name. That is the name He was given at the request of the angel of the Lord. It means He Saves and in the context of the verse it all makes sense. Matthew 1:21: "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins" He was a jew after all.

jesusisajew.org...

Also, the tetragrammaton is the basis for both Y-hweh and Jehovah. It is considered the holiest name of all, so much that there are prohibitions against speaking it or writing it in full. Most just use Adonai.

But probably most relevant, is the name He attributes to Himself while speaking with Moses on the mountain. Eysher Asher Ehyeh or I Am or He Who Is. It is one of the most profound moments in scripture.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

pleasethink
It is considered the holiest name of all, so much that there are prohibitions against speaking it or writing it in full.

I have heard that before
Just wondering where there are prohibitions against speaking or writing it in full

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Shiloh7
reply to post by LittleByLittle

When I attended a course for sign language the JW's were there in full force learning sign to come and convert the deaf.
They were polite and friendly, inviting people on the course to their homes for coffee mornings etc. The question of only 144,000 are allowed to go to heaven was raised and they smiled, nodding enthusiastically but when asked which of their numbers would be included in the 144,000 had not reply.

I must admit I now just throw up my hands in horror when confronted by the multitudes of God Botherers because they all claim to have some kind of hot-line to God, are his best mate and know exactlt what he demands. The gap between knowing one is God and these God's Butlers gets wider each day for me.

I will add something that is probably not a popular belief but whenever I meet a religious person, they seem to me to have had their empathic link to humanity destroyed, especially the hardliners and you often hear the twiddle - "My wife is lost to me because she turned away from God'. For me its more likely she got fed up with you and your pompous and judgemental outlook on life and especially her. - mind you she might have gone off, possibly or not though, with someone else so she could enjoy life and not suffer life.

I once was in a Jehovas Witness meeting and the person next to me said he believed he was meant to stay on earth and nurture it and not go to heaven. In one way that mindset is very humbling. His comment was "we have it good enough here". Their not drinking the wine and bread offered that represent Christ consciousness also seem to point towards this idea that they are not meant to leave for heaven.

I do agree that they seem to be looking forward for the judgment. Some days I can relate to it since humanity have fallen a bit to far from my point of view. Change is desperately needed for all.

From my point of view the 144000 point towards another grouping and them choosing to "goto heaven or not" is a decision between them and god.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

There are parts of the King James that say, "My name is the LORD." First of all, Lord is not a name. That list that somebody presented on the first page of this thread is a list of mostly titles, not names. Adonai and Elohim are not names. Adonai simply means Lord, and Elohim simply means God, plural, supposedly to denote majesty. Jehovah or Yahweh, whatever you want to call him, is God's name as given in the Bible. I'm not stating my beliefs, I'm simply showing what the Bible says. Those times when the Bible says, my name is the LORD, it's pretty obvious that it's supposed to say an actual name, not Lord.

No no...I didn't capitalize "lord" in my quote inferring that was what he wished to be called.

My point was I believe if you cry out for him you need not utter ANY name. The "I am" being Everything.

Sorry for the misconception.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think that YHWH is a primeval Canaanite deity name, then in more recent times, a myth (the Book of Exodus) was created to explain where that name came from, seeing how there was a general resurgence in the use of that god-name.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

gardener
Apparently I am blessed to live just a few houses next-door to the Kingdom Hall

I hate to just ignore people as I walk past them on the sidewalk. So, the 2 elderly, afro-american looking women hollered 'Good afternoon, young man' I replied good day, ladies and turned to them and before you know it they were handin me the Watchtower and Awake.

I grew up with JWs in the family and being given the New World Translation and the Book of Bible Stories, and etc. Being interfaith, and non-denominational, I am open minded and heed intuition that one ought not join sects.

Anyways, I flipped over the cover and read one of the first paragraphs that said God wants to be called Jehovah out loud to them, verbatim. I then questioned them: God really WANTS to be called Jehovah?

Did they know just how Jehovah came to be that in English?

I would think they understood that Yaweh simply means "I AM" or the Four Letters". Jehovah came about in English because of the way it was translated from German into English.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

pleasethink
Just to throw this in there, Yeshua is Jesus actual name. That is the name He was given at the request of the angel of the Lord. It means He Saves and in the context of the verse it all makes sense. Matthew 1:21: "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins" He was a jew after all.

jesusisajew.org...

Also, the tetragrammaton is the basis for both Y-hweh and Jehovah. It is considered the holiest name of all, so much that there are prohibitions against speaking it or writing it in full. Most just use Adonai.

But probably most relevant, is the name He attributes to Himself while speaking with Moses on the mountain. Eysher Asher Ehyeh or I Am or He Who Is. It is one of the most profound moments in scripture.

Yes, but also Emmanuel, God with us.

And quite a few say HaShem, The Name.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

dusty1
reply to post by chr0naut

A little research shows that the name Jehovah is NOT one that God chose for Himself. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

According to Wikipedia there is disagreement among scholars

Although there is disagreement among scholars as to how the tetragrammaton is actually pronounced, there is total agreement that "Jehovah" (an English translation, of a German word, made up of the vowels of one Hebrew word and the consonants of another, and only appearing thousands of years after the fact) is NOT the way it was pronounced.

edit on 30/3/2014 by chr0naut because: My spell check is borken!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

They have something for that, too. Trust me, these aren't amateurs. The worst thing you can do is accept a Bible study, because that's where they get you on every question. It's all biblical, though.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join