It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Military Begins Massive Nuclear War Drill.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think this is meant to be a show of force to impress the Russian population more than
anything but still if your going to impress/scare then putin does go big.

According to the Russian daily Nezavisimaya Gazeta, on Thursday Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces began a massive three-day exercise involving 10,000 soldiers and 1,000 pieces of equipment from more than 30 units. The major purpose of the drill, according to the report—which cites multiple senior Russian military officers—is to ensure Russia’s Strategic Missile Forces have sufficient readiness to conduct offensive operations involving the massive and simultaneous use of nuclear missiles.

Global Security Newswire previously carried a story on the nuclear exercise, also citing the Nezavisimaya Gazeta article. GSN described the exercise as “as practice for a large-scale nuclear offensive.” It added: “Exercise participants were set to position and prepare missile-firing units for launch, and to practice various administrative and support functions for the operation

just a test run i thought but as i read down i came across this bit of info.

This threshold was further lowered in Russia’s 2000 military doctrine, which was the first released during Vladimir Putin’s presidency. This document said that Russia would use nuclear weapons “in response to large-scale aggression utilizing conventional weapons in situations critical to the national security of the Russian Federation.” This held out the possibility that Russia would use nuclear weapons even if Russia proper hadn’t been attacked. The same doctrine further noted that Russia reserved the right to use nuclear weapons in response to the use of any kind of weapons of mass destruction against it.

The Diplomat
That i did not know and its a bit too carefree with the nukes than any government should be.

The Russians did have a smaller nuclear war drill last year and have been putting the Russian
army though a lot of readiness drills but the timing of this one looks like its meant to be a
message to the west.

Now lets just wait for obama to send a message back by cancelling putins pay-pal account
after he gets back from the golf course.

edit on 29/3/2014 by skuly because: typo

(post by BeliefInReality removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

show of force to the west

i expect severe bouts of chest beating on both sides during all this but suspect we're nearing the time when the 'man of peace' emerges..
got my eye on arabia & syria afterwards

/shrugs
..how 'bout that bears game?

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Well although ive been torn to shreds several times for having this view....

You poke Russia enough and sanction it ...it could lead to desperation.

We can argue all day long whether Russia had a right to Crimera...but beyond that you have one of the biggest super powers in the world on edge...and being pushed.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Doesn't the US still maintain a first-strike policy against certain countries? (I've heard NK, China, Russia and Iran mentioned in reference to papers leaked during the Bush era with similar prerequisites but more focus on deployment of WMDs by these states)

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

The link above would indicate that it's still the current administration's policy.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

The truth of the matter that no one wants to admit. We are all completely # no matter who wins, i mean do the math. I am not,a west bashing idiot in fact i love the west i love our freedoms i love our prosperity i love our culture. Realistically though when you have a bunch of psychological and sociological immature monkeys with technology that far out secedes their mental function you end up with an extinct species. I’m not sure that’s how you would write it down mathematically but that’s how it makes sense to me. Regardless it is true, the biggest gun in the sand box wins so of course i stand with the west but i know deep inside no matter my allegiances my fate and yours is the same simply because we will not grow the # up and co exist.
edit on 29-3-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

UNIT76
reply to post by skuly

show of force to the west

i expect severe bouts of chest beating on both sides during all this but suspect we're nearing the time when the 'man of peace' emerges..
got my eye on arabia & syria afterwards

/shrugs
..how 'bout that bears game?

is that one of those "GOG MAGOG references in "Prophecy"
I'm not a believer just curious if that's what you meant.

edit on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 18:32:51 -0500326America/ChicagoSaturday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

BeliefInReality
reply to post by skuly

Crazy thing is, if you replace Russia with America in this article, all the anti-American ATS posters would be coming out in droves to demonize the US. Instead my guess is a majority of comments on this thread will be pro Pootin and will laud him as "a great leader defending his people against western aggression."

Pootin has his own flock of sheeple these days.

Well said. They won't be talking much about China and Putin after China has snubbed it nose on Putin's aggressive behavior. But they will find a way to somehow justify the maniac's actions and blame the west for it. I think the only countries that agree with Putin's style of diplomacy is North Korea, Syria and Iran.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

BeliefInReality
reply to post by skuly

Crazy thing is, if you replace Russia with America in this article, all the anti-American ATS posters would be coming out in droves to demonize the US. Instead my guess is a majority of comments on this thread will be pro Pootin and will laud him as "a great leader defending his people against western aggression."

Our political system needs to be destroyed and reconstructed. I think those that praise Putin are just hoping that he will send our leaders to to the hills so we can retake whats ours. I don't care what your opinions are but something foul has taken hold of this country and some of us are looking beyond our borders for help since Americans are both too deluded and too lazy to do # about their evanescent rights. I don't blame them though, step out of line and you will be put in a cage in this country.

There is nothing more ANTI-AMERICAN than those like you who would rather demonize another country for doing wrong when their own country is doing more wrong on a daily basis.

(post by BeliefInReality removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

BeliefInReality
reply to post by skuly

Oh yes, including me

The USA were tolerated for much too long with their imperialistic and arrogant behavour. And masses of people worldwide, also many western citizens like me tend to be pro Putin just because they are TOTALLY fed up with the terror of modern capitalism by those damn Bilderberger elites

Ko3

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

When you think of nuclear war, its unwinnable, if its "unwinnable" its unfightable. The only advantage would be in the early minutes of the engagement. Say Russia launched, the first thing that would happen is the interceptors would destroy most of them over Russian territory which would be a load of nuclear material, that was meant for someone else contaminating your own area. That's why the Russians wanted all development of the anti missiles stopped at the last round of SALT talks. Their is no way the West, would remove all defensive missiles from Nato countries bordering Russia. Because it means, that whatever the Russian nuclear arsenal, its totally invalidated.
What is just valid in Nuclear engagement are their Submarines, but again if you know where they are, the same applies. They have to exit through a very narrow point from the Black sea.
The president of Russia has the launch codes in a briefcase on his person ,Putin knows that if they are ever used, Russia is Stone age, because the few major cities are where all the infra structure is, a big country with small targets.
If a few Nukes do get through, the dust and debris, would invalidate radar, and make further targeting a nightmare, so their isn't much point in firing nukes if you cant be sure of their targets. Which leaves Russian expansion, Russia has no battle hardened troops.
The country is massive and most of it is wilderness, so expansion beyond the borders, is stupid there is no point. Plus the fact Hitler and Napoleon tried to invade, if they couldn't do it I doubt anyone could.
The Nuclear War threat has its own lore and idiosyncrasies, developed to create the MAD standoff, for the best part of the last seventy years, by now the scenarios and yields have been well rehearsed, Like if the yield is to big all the blast goes into space and knocks the satellites around. Yours as well as theirs. The whole point of war is invalidated by a nuclear exchange, because there would be nobody left to convert to your political point of view. Putin has done a good job in convincing everybody he's the man psychopath that would do it. But its all spin, a bit like Reagan frightening the Ruskies with star wars.

(post by theyknowwhoyouare removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hm.

I was just reading this as a leisure read.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What a desperate little man PUTIN is ...

I find it dispicable how anyone can support this man and his actions

Now he's using nuclear drills as a means to warn of the world from sticking up for Eastern block countries wanting to end there ties to the people who have looked down on them and murdered them for century's

edit on Sat Mar 29 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: /Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

anonentity
reply to post by skuly

When you think of nuclear war, its unwinnable, if its "unwinnable" its unfightable. The only advantage would be in the early minutes of the engagement. Say Russia launched, the first thing that would happen is the interceptors would destroy most of them over Russian territory which would be a load of nuclear material, that was meant for someone else contaminating your own area. That's why the Russians wanted all development of the anti missiles stopped at the last round of SALT talks. Their is no way the West, would remove all defensive missiles from Nato countries bordering Russia. Because it means, that whatever the Russian nuclear arsenal, its totally invalidated.
What is just valid in Nuclear engagement are their Submarines, but again if you know where they are, the same applies. They have to exit through a very narrow point from the Black sea.
The president of Russia has the launch codes in a briefcase on his person ,Putin knows that if they are ever used, Russia is Stone age, because the few major cities are where all the infra structure is, a big country with small targets.
If a few Nukes do get through, the dust and debris, would invalidate radar, and make further targeting a nightmare, so their isn't much point in firing nukes if you cant be sure of their targets. Which leaves Russian expansion, Russia has no battle hardened troops.
The country is massive and most of it is wilderness, so expansion beyond the borders, is stupid there is no point. Plus the fact Hitler and Napoleon tried to invade, if they couldn't do it I doubt anyone could.
The Nuclear War threat has its own lore and idiosyncrasies, developed to create the MAD standoff, for the best part of the last seventy years, by now the scenarios and yields have been well rehearsed, Like if the yield is to big all the blast goes into space and knocks the satellites around. Yours as well as theirs. The whole point of war is invalidated by a nuclear exchange, because there would be nobody left to convert to your political point of view. Putin has done a good job in convincing everybody he's the man psychopath that would do it. But its all spin, a bit like Reagan frightening the Ruskies with star wars.

Why do they have to leave from only the black sea? Look at this on google maps and what is it you see?

64.575046, 39.770605

It looks like submarines to me. I am not a big military buff, maybe those are not the ones that carry nukes, but maybe they are. I wish someone could tell me just so I can learn something new today.

edit on 29-3-2014 by savagediver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by savagediver

Those are subs there. The port that you are looking at has been used to work on nuclear subs.

The image itself is 10 years old though (Google Earth 2004).

The city, Serverodvinsk, is more of a "ship yard" town, and less of a naval support base and in recent times was used to take old soviet subs apart.

But yes, those are subs you are seeing in the images. If you look further to the west, you can see a very old aircraft carrier too.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So many people who love Putin who should know better. Even if you don't agree with what the US does that doesn't make Putin a saint for doing what he's doing. Did that make Stalin wonderful for blocking the US? There are ways to resist what goes on in America without wishing for Putin to take it down. That's rather like being a sheep hoping the bear will kill the lion about to devour you and deal with you more kindly.

But I guess Putin's man pecs are capable of wooing people even here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join