It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical first as Cats are found to pass on TB.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Medical first as Cats are found to pass on killer ling infection TB on to their owners.
( from Metro news birmingham UK.)
Link
it IS free but you need to give your e-mail.

"two pet owners have caught TB from their cats in the first cases of thir kind in the world.
the patient both adults who have close contact with cats.
their cases are the first ever recorded of cat to human of this disease."

OMG! the TB bacterium has evolved in to a new killer!
or has some one weaponized it?

I have an old cat and lover her.
I would hate for her to get this.
I bet they are killing the cats and not trying to heal them.
I find it a little odd that this has happened.
it is not easy for things like this to suddenly pass to humans from animals.

www.nhs.uk...
www.theguardian.com...
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 29-3-2014 by buddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2014 by Kandinsky because: typo

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Yes, it sounds like it is extremely rare, so not something I'd spend a lot of time worrying about. But, it is just one more reason to keep your cats indoors. My cats live in the upstairs part of my house, and they are quite content. They have two kitty perches to climb, plenty of nice warm sunny spots in which to nap, and lots of windows for their viewing pleasure. They are healthier, they'll live longer, and they won't catch any of those nasty diseases from wildlife.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I hope the New Zealand Government doesn't find out about this, they continually carpet bomb our native forests with sodium fluoracitate (1080) to eradicate the Opossum (a carrier of TB), but unfortunately it's killing all our native birds and ground dwellers in the process-it'scriminal, but now they may tryto eradicate cats through the same process, that's how backward they are...

edit on 29-3-2014 by Mythkiller because: more info

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

So, can we pass a law against cats now?
They spread disease.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm 54 always had outdoor cats never got TB or cat scratch fever.
Don't blame it on LOL kittehs

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by buddha

So, can we pass a law against cats now?
They spread disease.

LOL at your status and mood n shiz hahaha

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is starting to happen, though it shouldn't. Such as the plant disease that jumped into the honeybee's. It's due to warming global temperatures. The warmer the temps, the increase in bacteria that feed on greenhouses gases. Their is an explosion of these bacteria. It's called horizontal transfer. The more one species of bacteria increases, others will follow. Just pay attention to the alarming trend of new diseases, old diseases re-emerging despite vaccines and our every day common bacteria's becoming drug-resistant. Same thing is happening with viruses as well, they are mutating and becoming stronger. Get yourself a daily Google Alert for disease, outbreak or even pandemic and be amazed at how many of these alerts are coming in every day of different disease outbreaks around the globe. I've been following these alerts for over a year now and I can say that my email alert is twice as long as it was every single day than just a year ago. Even the cold and flu season that's been around this year is strange. They don't even know what the illnesses are. I could swear I had bronchitis earlier this year, got real sick with the aches but it was deep in my lungs. All three kids and the wife got sick as well. We took the kids in and they told us they had the flu (despite not having the normal flu symptoms of vomiting or diarrhea.) I really didn't think we had the flu. Mine went from the lungs a week later to a sinus cold and dragged on for a month. The family was okay in a few days. Now, three months later, my 4-year old son has had a nasty cough for a month after being real sick with a stomach flu for a day. It turned into a sinus cold and cough that he can't shake. That same sickness has affected a lot of people. The numbers are much higher than the CDC reports because most people don't even go in for common cold of flu symptoms.

Here's one day of alerts on "Outbreak"

outbreak
Daily update ⋅ March 28, 2014
NEWS

Malaysia Sun
Outbreak of Foot-and-Mouth Disease Spreads in North Korea
Malaysia Sun
In an e-mail to VOA's Korean service Wednesday, the organization said at least six pigs were slaughtered January 16 after an outbreak of the disease ...

Ringworm outbreak prompts SPCA to euthanize cats
York Daily Record
It's an outbreak of ringworm, a highly contagious fungal infection, a seeming rite of spring at the shelter, and animal shelters throughout the country.

Measles outbreak too close to home
Chilliwack Progress
Amanda Sewell has to keep her three-year-old son, Ian, indoors due to the recent measles outbreak in Chilliwack. At eight months old, Ian had a liver ...

Essex County Standard
Outbreak of norovirus at Colchester Hospital
ITV News
A senior infection control nurse has appealed for anyone who has had diarrhoea or vomiting within the last 48 hours to stay away from hospital.

The Guardian
UN brands polio outbreak in Syria and Iraq 'most challenging in history'
The Guardian
"The current polio outbreak in Syria – now with one confirmed case in Iraq – is arguably the most challenging outbreak in the history of polio ...

Officials Investigate Possible Norovirus Outbreak
WLNS
GRAND RAPIDS, MI (AP) - Health officials in western Michigan are investigating reports of a possible norovirus outbreak among customers of a Grand ...

CTV News
Gastro outbreak at GRH's Freeport site over
CTV News
The outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness at Grand River Hospital's Freeport site is over, officials say. The hospital declared the outbreak Saturday after ...

H5N1: Guinea says Ebola outbreak contained; death toll rises - Writing for the Web
H5N1 ⋅ Crof
Via Reuters: Guinea says has contained Ebola outbreak, death toll rises. Judging from this excerpt, the citizens are not persuaded: Despite official ...

H5N1: Guinea: Emergency plan for Ebola outbreak - Writing for the Web
H5N1 ⋅ Crof
Via ReliefWeb, a report from the IFRC: Guinea: Ebola outbreak Emergency Plan of Action (EPoA) Operation n° MDRGN007. Click through to ...

JANYL BENYL SHARES: Ebola outbreak in Guinea
JANYL BENYL SHARES ⋅ Janyl Benyl
There's an Ebola outbreak in Guinea that has claimed the lives of many. The cause has been traced to a special delicacy made from bats. These bats ...

Terrifying Ebola outbreak spreading fast | GlobalResearchReport.com
GlobalResearchReport.com ⋅ Admin
The WHO reports Ebola first appeared in 1976 in two simultaneous outbreaks, in Nzara, Sudan, and in a village in Yambuku, Congo, situated near the ...

Another outbreak of Blair Disease - La Tribune franco-rwandaise - France-Rwanda info
La Tribune franco-rwandaise
At a reception recently I met the former president of a small post-communist country. I know that's what he was because he told me so immediately.

Algae outbreak briefing assurance
Otago Daily Times
As another outbreak of potentially toxic algae hits Tomahawk Lagoon, the Otago Regional Council has promised to brief the community on the ...

KMOV.com
Measles outbreak in Orange County, California worst in decades
KMOV.com
(CBS News) -- An outbreak of measles in Orange County, California is the worst health officials have seen in two decades. Twenty-one county ...

Mumps cases in Ohio outbreak reach beyond Columbus
WKYC-TV
COLUMBUS -- Health officials monitoring a central Ohio mumps outbreak say the viral illness has affected people from five counties. Seventy of the 87 ...

103 cases tied to mumps outbreak
Columbus Dispatch
The mumps outbreak that started at Ohio State University in February and spread beyond campus this week has now sickened at least 103 people ...

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You can also get TB from aquarium fish. Piscine TB. When I was a kid, I had an outbreak in my aquarium and never knew I was at risk. It's a low chance, but it's still there.

Also, this isn't hugely surprising. Cats and humans can pass respiratory infections back and forth. If you get a stubborn cold in your house and you have a cat, that's one more you have to worry about passing it around with. So, TB being a respiratory infection ... well, not a huge stretch to see. IMO.
edit on 29-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I have no idea what is TB. What is TB?

I'm not joking, just not speaking English since I was born.

I could have googled it, but the answer might be interesting to other non native English speaking persons.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Tuberculosis.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Cats are generally a menace because most are owned by irresponsible people who let them roam free, where they only kill wild life. If all household cats were gone from the world tomorrow I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, wed all be better off.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

You can have my three, strictly indoor cats over my dead body.

Also, the Black Death might have been a lot less bad if they hadn't generally persecuted cats as witch familiars.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

AthlonSavage
reply to post by buddha

Cats are generally a menace because most are owned by irresponsible people who let them roam free, where they only kill wild life. If all household cats were gone from the world tomorrow I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, wed all be better off.

No, we wouldn't; we'd be overrun by rats, mice & any other pests that are part of the wildlife killed by cats.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
www.nhs.uk...

This a dodgy attempt to swing the attention back to the badger cull, as it was so unpopular, and has halted for the time being, as it did not work.

Cats are a popular pet, and now they claim a dog has been infected. The most ridiculous claim was that cats have probably caught it by fighting badgers.......FFS as if!!. Or by eating rats or mice that have come into contact with badgers.

No it's more likely that cows infected with TB have got into pet food, and even into the human food chain, meat as well as cow milk.

One of the cats was only a kitten, exactly when do they suppose this tiny creature was wrestling badgers, or hunting vermin.

We have large pockets of Human TB in populated areas, due to unrestrained immigration from infected areas of the world.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

using that old argument, its full of crap that argument wed be overrun. Australia for example never had household cats as indigenous species since they were introduced they have been responsible for extinction of dozens of species. They should be exterminated from this country and any other where they are not indigenous.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

In door is where they belong and are safe.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This is huge! I actually ran a persian & exotic shorthair CFA cattery when i was 24-26 and wasted $12K on show cats only to realize they were all sick and just like the old wives tale, PASS ON DISEASES!

Between recurrent ringworm and scabies passing on to me, I had enuf and called it QUITS.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Killing the Cats ! What ?

i297.photobucket.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

You mean this Australia?

Now, as it so happens, I agree that Australia has its share of problems with non-indigenous species, but let's not claim that rats and mice can't get out of control. You more than most should understand that it can happen and how nasty it is.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

TB is just another thing to worry about when there are cats in your house.

What always turned me off was finding my ex-wife's cats walking/sitting on the kitchen counters or on the dining room table. Then there was that time that got up one night for a drink of water.... there's that farging cat sitting in the kitchen sink, licking the faucet. I didn't drink tap water with a cat in the house ever again.
Why care if they walk or sit on tables and counters? Well, I use those surfaces for food preparation. They dig around in their litter box... then they take a stroll on your counters. I used to clean the window sills where the cats sat and they would have spots of feces on them.
Would you want me to pull my pants down and park my ass on your kitchen counter? How about if I come over to visit and take a crap in a box of litter, then without wiping my butt, and after smearing my hands and feet in the box, go traipsing around your dining room table and kitchen counters?
Civilizef humans don't do that. Why would anyone want to live with an animal that does? Especially an animal that won't fetch your slippers!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join