It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Putin calls Obama to discuss US proposal on Ukraine crisis.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I always had a feeling that Putin just wanted Crimea.

This is interesting.

RIYADH (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin called U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday to discuss a U.S. diplomatic proposal for Ukraine and Obama told him that Russia must pull back its troops and not move deeper into Ukraine, the White House said.

It was believed to have been the first direct conversation between Obama and Putin since the United States and its European allies began imposing sanctions on Putin's inner circle and threatened to penalize key sectors of Russia's economy.

Russia's reinforcement of troops near Ukraine has brought the total forces there to as many as 40,000, U.S. officials estimated on Friday in a build up that has increasingly worried Washington in recent days.

The White House noted specifically that it was Putin who called Obama, who is ending a four-nation trip in Saudi Arabia and had just returned to his Riyadh hotel after talks with King Abdullah.

Putin called to discuss a U.S. proposal for a diplomatic resolution to the Ukraine crisis, which Secretary of State John Kerry again presented to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov at a meeting at The Hague earlier this week.

I said in another thread that I believed that Putin and Obama worked this out long ago about a trade for Crimea.

Remember when Obama said famously, "wait till after election, I'll have more pull to help."

Link

In case anyone forgot.

Budapest Memorandums on Security Assurances

1. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine;

2. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine except in self-defence or otherwise in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations;

3. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to Ukraine, in accordance with the principles of the Final Act of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, to refrain from economic coercion designed to subordinate to their own interest the exercise by Ukraine of the rights inherent in its sovereignty and thus to secure advantages of any kind;

4. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm their commitment to seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine, as a non-nuclear-weapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons, if Ukraine should become a victim of an act of aggression or an object of a threat of aggression in which nuclear

weapons are used;

5. The Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America reaffirm, in the case of Ukraine, their commitment not to use nuclear weapons against any non-nuclearweapon State party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons,

except in the case of an attack on themselves, their territories or dependent territories, their armed forces, or their allies, by such a State in association or alliance with a nuclear-weapon State;

6. Ukraine, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America will consult in the event a situation arises that raises a question concerning these commitments.

AAC.

edit on 28-3-2014 by AnAbsoluteCreation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Whatever the reason, it surely has to be good news that these two men are talking to each other instead of hurling nukes at each other which is what everyone feared to be honest. I just hope it is not a cynical pulling over the wool of the world's eyes by Putin, such as offering peace with one hand and moving his chess pieces into the Baltic states and Ukraine with another.

Good news but be very very cautious of what is going on. Putin is a Grand Master chess player and Obama has been caught with his pants down playing chequers and Cameron? Well he is playing tiddly winks!!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
Putin is a Grand Master chess player and Obama has been caught with his pants down playing chequers and Cameron? Well he is playing tiddly winks!!!!

yea, but his winks are the coins he stole from the poor!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Political theatre people........this is an agreed upon scenario from way back.....the bankers made it so.....

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
What we have here is a convergence of real world actions and intent vs online theorized opinions.
Real world Actions will win every time.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

AnAbsoluteCreation
I always had a feeling that Putin just wanted Crimea.

Same here.

All the US and the EU did was bark but never moved a finger.
Maybe it was just to make us believe it wasn't a set up between Russia and the EU?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

theMediator
All the US and the EU did was bark but never moved a finger.
Maybe it was just to make us believe it wasn't a set up between Russia and the EU?

Or

Russia did all the chest pounding and flexing while the West took a wait and see approach.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Aaannnd here we go -

Wh ite House and Kremlin seem to have different recollections of Obama-Putin call

On Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. President Barack Obama spoke on the phone. Given recent tensions over Ukraine and Crimea, dialogue seems like a good thing. However, were the two presidents really talking to each other? After reading the two official statements about the call, it sounds like they got some wires crossed or something.

Lol *facepalm*
edit on 28-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I agree, the 'sanctions' that Obama has been deploying look more like political theatrics in a lame attempt to keep we the sheeple placated.

After all, as the 'other' super power in the Ukraine situation, America has to keep some kind of face in the world arena. Obama has just been playing a game so he doesn't look completely toothless basically.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

SLAYER69
What we have here is a convergence of real world actions and intent vs online theorized opinions.
Real world Actions will win every time.

Hmm, I think I'm having a deja-vu episode......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ken10

yup...

Isn't it interesting how they're both possibly tied closely together...?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

stirling
Political theatre people........this is an agreed upon scenario from way back.....the bankers made it so.....

I agree 100%.

Politicians want to be actors and vice versa.

AAC.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Wirral Bagpuss
Putin is a Grand Master chess player and Obama has been caught with his pants down playing chequers and Cameron? Well he is playing tiddly winks!!!!

yea, but his winks are the coins he stole from the poor!

HAHAHAHAHA! Love it!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

So putin invades over the weekend because he knows it's not expected and the reaction will be delayed, and ukraine is annexed. I hope not but the build up and phone call seem to show two different intentions. If i was obama i wouldn't be answering a damn phone i'd be deploying soldiers

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

TechniXcality
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

So putin invades over the weekend because he knows it's not expected and the reaction will be delayed, and ukraine is annexed. I hope not but the build up and phone call seem to show two different intentions. If i was obama i wouldn't be answering a damn phone i'd be deploying soldiers

Deploying soldiers would be play right into Putins hands. He could then rally his people and other against Western Aggresion. As it is now the West can slowly strangle Russia and most of the world will back them while China looks the other way. The West is playing the long game here because they can. Russia needed this to be quick and short and hopefully just ignored like in Georgia. However this time the US not distracted by Iraq and Afganistan.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What Putin wants is the 'Soviet empire' back.

Georgia,Crimea,Ukraine.

What he wants is the old Russian 'glory' days.

And he won't stop until he get's it back.

Seriously no one is going to challenge Putin.

Least of all the current empty chair in chief of the US.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

neo96
What Putin wants is the 'Soviet empire' back.

Georgia,Crimea,Ukraine.

What he wants is the old Russian 'glory' days.

And he won't stop until he get's it back.

Seriously no one is going to challenge Putin.

Least of all the current empty chair in chief of the US.

Yes and no,

Putin was promised the old USSR if he played ball (which he is doing)
Obama is just being the used car salesman that he is to further his babble and the agenda of the men whom pull strings.
Pre planned and pre constructed. I advise that you open your ears to all channels, take a step back, and soak in the whole shabang. Right now its a soft build up until the other is told to flinch, then when the time is right...BOOM...instant shift from west to east in power......whether its messy or not remains to be seen.

Either way, we're still screwed.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I was thinking today about the pull out from the middle east, how it seems perfectly timed for all this carry on.

I know it has been planned for some time now, but they seem to be rushing the "evacuation".

As you all know, I am usually sceptical of conspiracy theories, I try to take a balanced look rather than jump in and base things off hearsay or loose evidence. But this scenario we are facing with the Russians does have a staged feel to it, even if it isn't the powers involved staging it.

I'm genuinely concerned this is going to escalate quickly, and soon...to the point of an armed conflict between the UN and Russia, and whilst I don't think it will be WWIII, it will leave another bloody stain in the history books.

I'm not even sure where I stand on the issue, lately I have seen Russia as a (small) source of inspiration on how the world should behave, and this Crimea incident, to me, is no different to us (UK) offering the Falkland islands a referendum on whether they want to be British or Argentinian.

Only time will tell I guess.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Once Magog (Russia), Assyria (Syria), Persia (Iran) and so on, look out for the rumble. We have the United Nations looking to the ushering in of a "New World Order," next, we have Russia (biblically AKA Magog), Syria (Assyria), Iran (ancient Persia) and so on, with eyes glaring down on Israel (everybody wants Jerusalem) a new Pope (first Jesuit Pope or Black Pope)....Drones everywhere, Whistleblowers left & right popping up all over the creation, sea life dropping by the thousands most likely due to nuclear waste being dumped in the oceans....we need to pay strict attention to what's coming up between now and 2016....

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Obama, who is ending a four-nation trip in Saudi Arabia and had just returned to his Riyadh hotel after talks with King Abdullah

I wanna know what the contents of that meeting was

I'm glad Obama and Putin have discussed it. both nations need to find a border between Crimea and the Ukraine and make it official. Putin's allowed to gather his forces on his borders, so long as they stay there!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join