It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Doesn't Back Russia's Invasion Of Crimea — And That's A Big Problem For Putin Read more:

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So there we have it, His Buddies from China have turned out not to be his buddies at all!
Looks like Vlad the Bad has well and truly screwed himself.. Can't say I didn't see this coming ..
So those of you have called me a Shill and berated me for my stance on Putin.. can now go eat the proverbial pie

Putin is entirely Isolated.
Putin is also hopelessly out maneuvered by the West and China.

Source

Russia's Vladimir Putin has committed a grave strategic blunder by tearing up the international rule book without a green light from China. Any hope of recruiting Beijing as an ally to blunt Western sanctions looks doomed, and with it the Kremlin's chances of a painless victory, or any worthwhile victory at all. Mr Putin was careful to thank China's Politburo for its alleged support in his victory speech on Crimea. Foreign minister Sergei Lavrov has been claiming with his usual elasticity that “Russia and China have coinciding views on the situation in Ukraine.” This is of course a desperate lie. China did not stand behind Russia in the UN Security Council vote on Crimea, as it had over Syria. It pointedly abstained. Its foreign ministry stated that “China always sticks to the principle of non-interference in any country’s internal affairs and respects the independence, sovereignty, and territorial integrity of Ukraine.” We don't know exactly what China's Xi Jinping told President Barack Obama at The Hague this week it clearly had nothing in common with the deranged assertions of the Kremlin. The US deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes appeared delighted by the talks, claiming afterwards that Russia could no longer count on backing from its "traditional ally". If so, Mr Putin is snookered. He cannot hope to escape financial suffocation by US regulatory muscle, should he send troops into Eastern Ukraine or even if he tries to stir up chaos in the Russian-speaking Donbass by means of agents provocateurs. Nor can he hope to turn the tables on the West by joining forces with China to create a Eurasian bloc, a league of authoritarian powers in control of vast resources. Such an outcome is the obsession of the 'Spenglerites', the West's self-haters convinced that the US is finished and that dollar will soon be displaced by the Eurasian Gold Ducat -- odd though that may seem at a time of surging oil and gas output in the US, and an American manufacturing revival. Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

edit on Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:52:41 -0500524America/ChicagoFriday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Very interesting development. Putin looks to be cornered from all sides. Apparently he called Obama today to work out a diplomatic solution. Things may be calming down soon in the region, I just feel bad for the Crimeans who will find out their (ahem, forced IMO) choice to join Russia rather than be an independent nation will end up hurting them in the long run. The international community still does not recognize the referendum as legal, but I doubt Putin will be desperate enough to let that go as well. We shall see.

Now we'll also see if he begins to pull his troops away from the Ukrainian borders..
edit on 28-3-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wow, and here I was waiting for China to speak for China...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

China not supporting Russia is China supporting USA. China can change side once USA jumps in. I'm tired of this charade. Nobody with a clear position ruling the world, just a bunch of gossipy hypocrat puppets.
edit on 28-3-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Yes thanks for your encouraging reply..That was a very Interesting and Informative article.
Especially how cosy the Americans and the Chinese are behind the scenes.

Actually gives me some hope for the West.
Wouldn't it be great if we could build on that and truly learn
from our own mistakes.

For me i have always thought Putin to be a cheap miss informed
gangster.. but he's more than that, he's a lost boy who harkens back to the sureties
of the Soviet Union when he was a boy.

What he doesn't grasp ... obviously, is the reason the Soviet Union failed.
Ironically it will be the same reason his own little dynasty will fail.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
What China says, and what China does are two completely different things.

"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Trueman
China not supporting Russia is China supporting USA?

China is supporting China. No more, no less.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

andy1972
What China says, and what China does are two completely different things.

"For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." - Sun Tzu

Have you read the article .. or are you just throwing
in a Proverb or two ?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Putins no bumpkin...hes a mega billionaire too......
The scenario still has ramifications for the west as well as Russia.....
The Cjinese will change to whatever side suits their needs at the moment.....

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
hahaha awww you guys are cute...

as if anything said in public means #.....

During the Iraq war so many countries denounced the usa invading iraq however...what you didnt see is those same countries were giving us aid...for example Germany offered soldiers to protect our bases in Europe which freed up thousands of US troops. That was a lot of support...all while Germany was saying "we do not support the war".

China and Russia know that to defeat America they have to stick together...this aint their first rodeo.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

China is playing a waiting game, they are waiting for the US and Russia to destroy each other. China will lose a large marketing base, but they will gain the world. Old Chinese proverb, " If you sit on the bank of the river long enough, you will see the body of your enemy float by." This is actually what the US should have been doing in all of the hotspots they have screwed up so far. It would have been a lot less expensive and the economy wouldn't be in shambles.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Lets us wait for a real source about the china-russia "fracas" if you want to call it so.
Meanwhile, any reliable sources? All I see in the article are opinions, and those are not reliable enough, not to mention the western source.

But hey, you must already had some of that pie you talk about after your not materialization of the western ukranie invasion, amirite?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Yusomad
reply to post by rigel4

Lets us wait for a real source about the china-russia "fracas" if you want to call it so.
Meanwhile, any reliable sources? All I see in the article are opinions, and those are not reliable enough, not to mention the western source.

But hey, you must already had some of that pie you talk about after your not materialization of the western ukranie invasion, amirite?

Exactly..

I was thinking where did China speak in that article....

My opinion and ive said this from the start is that Putin aint finished...were gonna see more of Ukraine taken. Just my opinion. And China is snickering away maybe even considering themselves to take back Taiwan, etc.

China and Russia are allies out of necessity. Just like we were with Russia during WW2...the second it was all over..in fact before it was over we were already spying on Russia during WW2.

Make no mistake these guys have plans to work together and have for quite some time.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

What we have here is a convergence of real world actions and intent vs online theorized opinions.
Real world Actions will win every time.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Yusomad

Meanwhile, any reliable sources?

China did not vote in support of the Crimean referendum, they did not support Russia's position. They are not backing Russia in Ukraine. Nor have they, from the beginning of the crisis.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My whole theory on this is that the USA engineered how the protests in Kiev became an uprising knowing that it would economically hurt Russia to have another friend taken away or further distanced from the country.

I think that the USA may well (pretty much did) try to encourage Russia to annex Crimea because this would cause even more pain economically as well as political repercussions which further add to the pile of problems such as the fact that Russia is now seen as a mistrustful country who are akin to the bad guys of the USSR which is probably just what America wants.

Really, I feel the USA and Britain are mistrustful for not honoring the Budapest agreement and also allowing Ukraine to get into the state its in now. Ok america has allowed for $1bn of loans or something but its not hard cash nor is it any real aid, its only giving the opportunity for Ukraine to become even more indebted to the west.

MSM may lead many to the belief that Russia have got a valuable land grab out of this but, in reality the USA has came off far better gaining money, hurting its biggest rival, fraying relations between allies and gaining moral high ground by barely lifting a
finger.

I pity Ukraine, she has been used as a throw away pawn.
edit on 2832014 by DodgyDawg because: Cleaned the post slightly added about relationship of allies and pity for ukraine

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DodgyDawg

I'm fairly sure that The US/UK have had their hand in the goings on in Ukraine,
but let's not forget that the protests genuinely started because Mr/Mrs/Miss
Ukrainian was sick and tired of the corruption.

The situation then became an entity of its own.. with both sides playing poker.
The US/UK have way more experience than most at these kind of games.

There is an old saying that the West has applied to Mr Putin!

If you give enough rope he will eventually hang himself.

I'd say at the moment ...Putin has the rope round his neck and is teetering on the edge of the chair.

edit on Fri, 28 Mar 2014 18:32:22 -0500326America/ChicagoFriday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
They've changed their tune as i could of sworn that they DID agree with Putin's action not even a month ago.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Nope. No support. Firmly neutral.

"We condemn the recent extreme violent behavior in Ukraine, and continue to urge all sides in Ukraine to peacefully resolve their disputes within a legal framework, and conscientiously protect the legal rights all the peoples of Ukraine," the ministry said in a statement on its website (www.mfa.gov.cn)

news.yahoo.com...

Since they did not vote in support of the referendum it would seem that they do not consider it to part of a legal framework.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Viking9019
They've changed their tune as i could of sworn that they DID agree with Putin's action not even a month ago.

No you are mistaken .. but you could be forgiven for thinking it!

Putin Lied in his "victory" speech, as did Sergei Lavrov sound bites.

China actually said nothing of the sort.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join