It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Networking with Shuttle! Fasttrack to friends and food post SHTF!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hello, I did a search on fishing nets on ATS and I was only able to find this old thread from 2009 ...

Tips on survival Fishing

.. and the member who posted it is banned and the last post was from 2009, so I felt the need to pull this following subject out of the murky depths of the ATS archive.

I had the great fortune to tune into the Bushcraft On Fire Radio : 03/27/2014: More Building Fire, Shelters and Gardening show on ATS earlier today and a combination of things that were said got the clockworks in my head ticking over!

1stly one of the radio hosts was talking about carrying 150ft of para-cord on them and this is actually a lot more than just 150ft of cord because para-cord is multi-ply!

Now that is a LOT of cord and I feel that as a landlubber I need to broaden my horizons skill wise and so I immediately thought of making nets and how that skill could be used to become a fisher of men post SHTF!

2nd another one of the radio hosts was talking about sources of Omega3 oils and mentioned both fish and wheat as sources of that.

Teach a man to fish, as they say, and you feed him for life and possibly make a friend for life as well and that makes trade possible post SHTF!

Now I personally know NOTHING about net making and so all my sources are provided care of a Google search that I made!

We shall learn together!

Cast net

A cast net, also called a throw net, is a net used for fishing. It is a circular net with small weights distributed around its edge.

The net is cast or thrown by hand in such a manner that it spreads out on the water and sinks. This technique is called net casting or net throwing. Fish are caught as the net is hauled back in. This simple device is particularly effective for catching small bait or forage fish, and has been in use, with various modifications, for thousands of years. On the US Gulf Coast, it is used especially to catch mullet, which will not bite a baited hook.

Contemporary cast nets have a radius which ranges from 4 to 12 feet (1.2 to 3.6 metres). Only strong people can lift the larger nets once they are filled with fish. Standard nets for recreational fishing have a four foot hoop. Weights are usually distributed around the edge at about one pound per foot (1.5 kilograms per metre). Attached to the net is a landline, one end of which is held in the hand as the net is thrown. When the net is full, a retrieval clamp, which works like a wringer on a mop, closes the net around the fish. The net is then retrieved by pulling on the landline. The net is lifted into a bucket and the clamp is released, dumping the caught fish into the bucket.

Cast nets work best in water no deeper than their radius. Casting is best done in waters free of obstructions. Reeds cause tangles and branches can rip nets. The net caster stands with one hand holding the landline, and with the net draped over the other arm, so the weights dangle. The line is then thrown out to the water, using both hands, in a circular motion rather as in hammer throwing. The net can be cast from a boat, or from the shore, or by wading

I wondered how I would go about storing that amount of para-cord and the easiest answer is a net shuttle ...

CORDS: Materials for Hammock & Net Making

Native Californian Cultures: Childhood, Clothing and Tools

Net shuttle with cordage, wood, with iris fiber string. Hupa

Now one must be careful to not overload the shuttle itself when using it for actual net making work rather than just using it as something handy to store the wrapped cord around tidy so that it doesn't mess up ones b.o.b.

Loading Newer Shuttles.

The less you load on, the sooner you will need to reload, and the more knots you will need to make and will have in your finished piece. If you put on too much, the loaded shuttle will become hard or impossible to pass through the mesh. As always, look for a happy medium.

How To Load Your Cast Net Needle or Shuttle

These net shuttles can be easily carved from wood by those with the knowledge and this makes this a trade worthy valuable product and is a trade worthy skill also.

Walnut Net Shuttle

LumberGuy:
When I was a small boy, my grandfather taught me to whittle and carve. One of the things he taught me was how to make a net shuttle and gauge, and how to make nets. This is one I made to teach Boy Scouts the same thing. The string is actually a part of a Scout belt that has been unravelled. ยท Date: Tue March 15, 2011

Making a shuttle and tied net ...

ropeworks.biz Article of the Month: NETTING

The making of netting is an ancient craft. Many prehistoric cultures used netting for a verity of uses, storage bags, fencing, hammock, just to name some and of course the obvious use as a fish net. No matter what the netting was used for, the knitting of the mesh was done by tying a series of loops in some type of twine.

In one method, the basic knot used was the sheet bend. To form and tie the loops a knitting shuttle and a spacer (gauge) were used.

Netmaking- the basic knot in close up.

DIY Simple Net (no shuttle)

Once one can make a net one can also repair a net and this is another valuable service one can offer and specialized skill that one can trade ...

Net Repair

Creel Net Making and Repair

Finally one needs to learn how to cast a net ...

.How to Throw a Large Cast Net - Actual Instructions.

However as stated in one of the videos above [DIY simple net (no shuttle)] the prepper suggest several other uses for nets from fishing and catching small game to transporting bulky cargo items and I would like to include camouflage netting and hammocks.

WWII US Navy Hammock Clew Tutorial

How to Make A Paracord Hammock

DIY Paracord Net / Hammock Chair

What will you fish for?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Making a net bag out of rope part 1 ...

Making a net bag out of rope part 2 ...

How To Make Camo Netting ...

join