It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphin utters 'word' for first time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I wasnt speaking to whether or not they recognized language, of sorts, in other species.

It was more a point of curiosity about ancient peoples bridging that gap, like in the article. It happened with canines, so I suspect it happened with other species as well.

I thought you had some info on it, but its all good.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

beezzer
*beezzer hops into the room*

If dolphins can talk, then. . . . I wonder. . . . do they have religion?

*after tossing a hand grenade into the room, hops back out*

Who know Beezz they just very well may... some sort of Dolphin god or goddess or something.. the possibilities are endless..

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I have a bird that can say mine name if he wants to. Just saying these dolphins better step up their game.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I was wondering if this was any different than teaching Polly the parrot to say she wants a cracker, as far as learning, but I have no doubt that dolphins are intelligent, as far as being able to teach them tricks like dogs and cats, based on a reward system. They may be far more intelligent than that too, but is there any definitive study proving they are any more intelligent that Pavlov's dogs? I know tales of their heroics are legendary and they are amazing in the ability to perform precision tricks as trained. Would love to see evidence presented that they are beyond what we know so far...which is that they are intelligent, but that our ability to communicate with them is lacking? I do see stories of them interacting with special needs people in most amazing ways, and I'm sure you can find them on utube, but i also know of Nursing homes that have dogs and cats in them because warm furry mammals seem to make most lonely, older/sick people happy, and they also seem "sensitive" to the needs of the older, more frailer people, the way they are to small children. It would be cool if they could really talk to us. My cat talks to me. When he wants ice water, he shoves his water dish around on the wood floor with his face until I put ice in his bowl. Now that's intelligence.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Great Catch OP! Hopefully we're one tiny step closer to cracking the nut on what appears to be a complex and highly structured form of communication they have. The more research is done, the more it seems to be coming out that a couple sea going mammals are very intelligent and quite capable of "talking" among themselves and quite possibly, between each other.

Some day...and then, who knows what they'll have to say? I imagine the first few "statements" in clear translation will need network censors to keep it family friendly. Same with any questions to Mr. Flipper about the Dolphin take on Humans at Sea.

Then again.. they might just end an interview and never talk to us again from that question, so maybe not right away.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Dolphins have showed an above average level of intelligence compared to all other animals, except us.

The killing of Dolphins should be criminalized ASAP, whether it's hunting them for sport, food, or any other reason. It should be illegal period.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Aleister

On the other hand, if they could talk, they'd always be begging for more fish, laughing at us, and we could probably never shut them up.

At this point, I think more murder of dolphins would go down. I can barely stand people that do this. How is one to fire back with flippers anyway? Double advantage humans.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well, of course they learned what the noise meant!
Dolphins are incredibly intelligent (and sentient, and have emotions, in my opinion) - as well as elephants, dogs, cats, horses, apes, etc. It is humans who think (arrogantly) that they (the animals) are incapable of communication.

Animals DO speak to us, in their own language (as Serdgiam said)....even adapt their own 'tribal language' to suit us....
it's up to us to bridge the language gap.

I speak to my animals all the time, and they know what I'm saying. They 'speak' to me also, via gestures and vocalizations of different kinds, and I've learned what they mean. If you spend 24/7 with animals, you realize that they know how to communicate and how to receive and interpret messages from us.

Just today, I went out at what my animals know to be "she's away" (at errand time, often with groceries in tow on my return) and when I got back, my cat was all, "Well? Where are the bags? You went hunting and gathering, didn't you? Where are the bags?"

A few minutes later I heard him squawling outside, and he had brought a bird back - as if I failed at the hunting thing for the day. LOL!!!!

Dolphins also know when women are pregnant. They're brilliant.
If only people paid more attention to the signals our cohabitants give us.

S/F Great post!

edit on 3/28/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I have a bird that can say mine name if he wants to.

Yeah? Cool! I had a cat (he died a few months ago) that would stand outside the door and say, "HellllOOOO? Hell ooo??"
It was amazing.

But yeah, I met a lady with a bird while waiting at the vet once, she told us a story about how her bird "gives himself away" when he is running on the carpet (not allowed in the house), by saying, "Bad Bird! Bad Bird!"

LOL!!

sigh.
we just need to pay more attention to their efforts. Animals try really hard.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Dolphins are also known gang homosexual rapists.

In one of the most extensive studies of its kind, male bottlenose dolphins were also found to organise gang-like alliances, in which they guard females against other groups.

In some instances, males would assert their authority by forcefully mounting other males and other such violent sexual behaviour.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 28-3-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
sweet...right out of SeaQuest...

please tell me i'm not the only person on this board who remembers that show..

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I think it's quite a stretch to attribute human motives of a criminal predator to the behavior we see among animals. Even highly intelligent and evolved ones. I've had the chance to study the Bonobo Chimpanzee in some depth for a project, and they are another that doesn't distinguish gender for sexual behavior that may even look like rape at times, by human interpretation.

What anthropologists believe in their case is that the behavior is dominance related to setting hierarchy within the community. Nothing sexual in the sense we'd consider that.

I wonder how it is for the Dolphins. Closer to human senses on that, or that of the Bonobo?
edit on 28-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
knowing that dolphins are smart, i would have been more impressed if the dolphin would have brought some "sargassum"
and tossed it up on the boat and said the word.

i wonder if it really understands the word or is just mimicking it.
there are all kinds of birds that mimic words and have quite a large vocabulary. some think they understand what they are saying others think that it is just conditioning.

i have no doubt that after time using reinforcement a animal can recognize something.
but to know what something is on it's own, well i'm still waiting.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS

koko, Jay-Z and previously unsigned dolphin pod to release hot new track in time for christmas

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

I agree with your post 100%. When I read the article I was thinking just what you posted.

To me people look into this dolphin / whale thing too much. Yes they are smart. Yes they are social. So what. They are not nor ever will be as intelligent as humans. I don't even think they have the tools to evolve their intelligence any further. Dolphins are more like semi domesticated dogs of the sea.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I think it's quite a stretch to attribute human motives of a criminal predator to the behavior we see among animals.

I wasnt trying to attribute humans motives only an action.

edit on 28-3-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I read Dr.Flanagan and team were up to 35 words of the 500 wanted for translation years ago before being pulled off of or leaving the project.

We were able to come
up with a 35 word vocabulary before the project was disbanded due to the
death of my partner, Dr. Dwight Wayne Batteau, the head of the project.
FLAN1.ASC

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Birds also talk....

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Primitive animals that have an art form that consists of creating cold fusion inside air bubbles......yep they finally learned to lower their mentality enough to communicate with us........................

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gozer

I was going to ask how this was any different than Alex the African Grey who learned over 100 words and was actively and independently combining them in two and three word combinations he knew would get desired responses from his humans.

However, the experiment that I think shows more about what a dolphin is capable of in terms of intelligence was one that was done where they took a dolphin and every time it did a new behavior, they rewarded it. When it ran out of new behaviors, they stopped rewarding it. It was clearly upset because it was doing all kinds of behaviors that it had been rewarded for before and not getting rewarded for them even though they had fish. This went on for some days.

They were about to give up when one morning, the dolphin met them all excited and gave them a cascade of one new behavior after another for which it was rewarded. Clearly, it had made the connection. And, every morning after that, it always had one new thing to show them.

That, IMO, is a clear leap of intelligence to make.

There have also been some language analyses done on dolphin whistles and clicks that show that there is meaning to them. They aren't random sounds. We just don't know what they mean.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join