It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf war illness not in veterans' heads but in their mitochondria.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
My Cousin suffers from Gulf War Syndrome, at first he was told it was all in is head. He suffered horribly.
It took years to get some decent care. Now this looks very promising for many Vets.

Veterans of the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War who suffer from “Gulf War illness” have impaired function of mitochondria – the energy powerhouses of cells, researchers have demonstrated for the first time. The findings could help lead to new treatments benefitting affected individuals -- and to new ways of protecting servicepersons (and civilians) from similar problems in the future

www.sciencedaily.com... _science+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Top+Science+News%29&utm_content=FaceBook

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I've heard so many people refer to it as "P**sy Soldier Syndrome." Here's a plate of crow them them to choke down, eh? I have CFS/ME, and people with it have noticed how similar GWS is, to the point where some people with CFS/ME call it Military CFS. I've always felt for the people with GWS, nobody wants to live in what feels like a Yugo body (referring to the "you go, it don't" joke)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

For those who might not know what mitochondria are and do, they are not part of the human being but live within each human being's cells. They provide energy to the cell. A wonderful symbiotic relationship has developed between them and us. They are, in essence, our best friends.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yes, mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell, handed down through the female line and similar to the chlorophyl structures in plants.

How the heck does the mitochondria get damaged? Was it exposure to DU rounds, chemical agents, or some kind of virus? Will this genetic damage get handed down to the next generation? Scary questions.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

MichiganSwampBuck
reply to post by Aleister

Yes, mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell, handed down through the female line and similar to the chlorophyl structures in plants.

How the heck does the mitochondria get damaged? Was it exposure to DU rounds, chemical agents, or some kind of virus? Will this genetic damage get handed down to the next generation? Scary questions.

I remember when I was deployed to the Middle East (years after the first Gulf War) we were lined up in a gym and given about 20 shots. There were so many they had to use both shoulders, both but cheeks, our thighs. I would put my money on either one of the shots, or on some unexpected consequence of the interactions between so many anit-whatevers being administered at once.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Nyiah
I've heard so many people refer to it as "P**sy Soldier Syndrome." Here's a plate of crow them them to choke down, eh? I have CFS/ME, and people with it have noticed how similar GWS is, to the point where some people with CFS/ME call it Military CFS. I've always felt for the people with GWS, nobody wants to live in what feels like a Yugo body (referring to the "you go, it don't" joke)

Looks like they are looking at mitochondrial dysfunction as being the possible source for CFS as well. Mitochondria are supposed to reuptake ADP and recycle it back into ATP and apparently there are possible issues with that in patients with CFS.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

To the OP:

I'm curious as to why these soldiers have mitochondria dysfunction as well and I hope they pin that down as well. Even though the mitochondria is tucked within our cells, it still can develop mutations from environmental sources. So could've been anything from an infection, a drug used, or something external in the environment.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Its depleted uranium.

www.gulfwarvets.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Some of it's mycoplasma. I got that little gift just as my term of service was ending. Felt droopy and draggy for months, then came down with what looked like pneumonia with nothing culturable.

Eventually they found it. I ate so much doxy I could piss bacteria to death.

Did you know you can form mucus casts in your lungs like little molds of your bronchi? I yacked up this thing towards the end of my mycoplasma period that looked like the flying spaghetti monster. Really gave me a turn. I was looking at this thing that looked like a tan ball of worms about the size of a golf ball. Not much fun.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
CFS and fibromyalgia are the same disorder.

They are a small fiber peripheral polyneuropathy. one form fibromyalgia with pain as the main symptom.
and Chronic fatigue syndrome with fatigue as the main symptom.

forums.phoenixrising.me.../small-fiber-neuropathy-in-cfs.6743/
www.painresearchforum.org...

Its old news that the VA does knows what CFS and fibro is.

They now know and treat veterans for a real medical disorder and do not play it off as a All in your head disorder.

I will say that there are a few contract doctors that work mostly a VA clinics that may give the All in your head disorder.
because i got one of them fired when he claimed fibromyalgia was not a real disorder.
I was DXed by a professor of Rheumatology from UCLA teaching at the VA.

I have also been DXed with peripheral nerve disease.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Yep. Years and years ago, they discovered that fibromyalgia patients actually had higher quantities of what was called P. P is a receptor for the brain and is associated with pain response. Never tried digging for the paper but my mother heard about it as a research presentation at her workplace (research hospital). I believe that was the discovery that turned fibromyalgia from being perceived as "all in your head" psychological issue to a real physiological issue that is, well, technically, "all in your head" because it is the brain messing up. Disturbances in dopamine and serotonin levels, iirc, were also found.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
reply to post by ANNED

technically, "all in your head" because it is the brain messing up. Disturbances in dopamine and serotonin levels, iirc, were also found.

No its not in the brain and dopamine and serotonin levels are only down because of the high pain. with CFS the fatigue makes many feel depressed and some doctors then DX them with depression that is not there.
Simon Wessely("the most hated doctor in Britain") was the leader if this and he proved to be a shill for the insurance industry and used bad studies to help save the insurance companies billions of dollars.
en.wikipedia.org...

Increasing serotonin levels with antidepressants only helps pain in less then 20% of fibromyalgia and makes the fatigue worse in CFS.

fibro and CFS are peripheral nerve disorders not central nervous system (CNS)disorder(brain.)
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Also as high a 40% of the people DXed with fibro and CFS do not have ether because there are many doctors out there that use both as a DX just to get rid of patents they do not want to deal with.
they will give these people antidepressants and when they don't work will tell them there is nothing that can be done.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Good news and good find.
...Buggered mitochrondria play a role in a whole LOT of new chronic diseases. Nice to see all the breakthroughs now that epigenetics is taking some attention from genetics (a false god if there ever was one).

new topics

top topics

join