It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Video! : Bilateral Cochlea Implants Allow Woman to hear for the very first time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The moment a 39-year-old woman heard for the first time, thanks to cochlear implants, has been captured on video.

Joanne Milne burst into tears when she heard a nurse reading out the days of the week.

Ms Milne, from Gateshead, was born deaf and during her 20s she also began to lose her sight, due to the rare medical condition Usher syndrome.

She said she was delighted by the results of the "life-changing" procedure to fit implants.
'So happy'

Ms Milne said: "The switch-on was the most emotional and overwhelming experience of my life and I'm still in shock now.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This is an absolutely awesome and lovely video, I can't even imagine her feelings at that time.
We need positive news and happy stories from time to time and this brought a tear to my eye
A happy tear.

edit on 28/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Officially balling! What a great way to begin a Friday. Thanks for the share!
Note: I do believe it sounded "high pitch" because the woman DID have a rather high pitched voice.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Incredible! Great job by the physicians. I would like to see her reaction to some classical music for the first time. Nice post, S&F for you.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Omg thats amazing,wow imagine gaining a completly new sense of sound.
Pass the tissues.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Oh, the things we take for granted.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I love happy crying. The idea of being so happy that you can't or don't want to control crying seems so beautiful.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

TNMockingbird
Officially balling! What a great way to begin a Friday. Thanks for the share!
Note: I do believe it sounded "high pitch" because the woman DID have a rather high pitched voice.

It really does get to you huh? I think anyone who is not moved by that, has no heart LOL

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I love these type of stories.

You can feel the RAW emotion coming from her (and others that are so fortunate to have things fixed).

A tear in my eye as well.

And to know she was stricken with blindness as well, in her 20's I think.

God Bless her. And thank you for putting this up, I hadn't see the full video yet.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Got me too. Really great video. On my lunch break n sharing it with others as I type this.

Thanks OP!!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
So is this a procedure that's available for everyone now are are they just being tested on her?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

you made us all bawl!!!! she was going blind in her twenties,so, was she totally blind at this point???? what a great clip!!!!!!+

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Watching this again at America O'clock - makes me tear up too

Almost nothing I can say - not very often we get to see something so overwhelming in the good category

Lovely post

:-)

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Antipathy17
I love happy crying. The idea of being so happy that you can't or don't want to control crying seems so beautiful.

Absolutely, it really is a beautiful thing.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What a thing to behold.

Yes this story went in to much more detail on BBC Radio 6Music last Wednesday as dj Lauren Laverne played some tracks from the mixtape Jo's friend Tremayne made for her, as the first music she'd ever heard.

The show's blog has the tracklisting and a bit more background to the story here;

They played out Bat For Lashes' Laura which reduced almost everyone listening in the UK to sobbing tears at the first word.

Love the inclusion of Ozric Tentacles... that kind of noodly psychout should come with a health warning on its own.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by firesnake

Yeah I saw the mixtape thing.... just amazing.
To be 39 and to have never heard the sounds of our planet, let alone the beauty that is music.

I cannot fathom how incredibly profound an experience that must have been

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

blupblup
reply to post by firesnake

Yeah I saw the mixtape thing.... just amazing.
To be 39 and to have never heard the sounds of our planet, let alone the beauty that is music.

I cannot fathom how incredibly profound an experience that must have been

I think that the quality of the implants is much, much lower than native human hearing, it's barely similar to the real thing.

Music may sound like be incomprehensible buzzing.
edit on 1-4-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join