It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Case Dismissed" There is justice.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Would all of the members supporting seat belt laws show the same support for a law mandating that everyone wear a helmet 24/7?
It would save a lot of money in health care costs. Ever look at how many people suffer head injuries because of falls... especially in their homes.... especially in the shower/bath? We need to have this law for the same reason that there are seat belt laws.

What? You wouldn't like wearing a helmet 24 hours a day? Who cares... you are a moron if you don't wear a helmet... look at the statistics. I know a nurse that sees these injuries every day in the ER. Think of their children!

CDC

An estimated 1.7 million TBI-related deaths, hospitalizations, and emergency department visits occur in the U.S. each year. Nearly 80% of these individuals are treated and released from an emergency department. TBI is a contributing factor to a third (30.5%) of all injury-related deaths in the United States, or about 52,000 deaths annually.
edit on bu312014-03-31T10:16:59-05:0010America/ChicagoMon, 31 Mar 2014 10:16:59 -050010u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I certainly care about others' lives; isn't that the compassionate thing to do? My entire family's lives were saved by seat belts when caught by a crosswind on a motorway in NZ, in the 70s.

More contemporarily, my work in head/brain injury means that I would never let anyone I even vaguely cared for ignore their buckle. If you have seen marriages and families runied because Mommy didn't want to wear her belt; reduced to a baby, needing Daddy to take her to the toilet and feed her, to never to see you marry, or run for a bus with you, never to tell you off for being home too late...you'd feel the same.

And I have to say, OP, you do come across as righteous, condescending and smug - never a cool look. I wonder if it was your attitude, rather than the legislation, that made the officer dig his heels in. Those flies prefer honey to vinegar.....

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Good for you!

I don't think it's any of the governments business whether I choose to wear a seatbelt or not. If "they" were really concerned about people's safety and seatbelts then wouldn't there be seatbelts on school buses? I rest my case.

It's just a business for counties to make money. We are supposed to be free and make our own choices but that went out the window long ago. Now, they even try to dictate what we eat. Revolution and arrest warrants is the only way forward.

I still love the mountain man video where he owns the judge in court. The best Youtube vid I've seen in a long time. More people need to be like you and him.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Did you ever do anything more than view a video of Tertelgte? He was convicted by a jury of obstructing a police officer and resisting arrest back at the end of November. In January, he made another court appearance for a hearing for the fishing without a licence charge and an a additional resisting arrest charge. He was cited for contempt for his behaviour during this hearing and given 30 days in jail. He still has trial dates set for 25 April for fishing without a licence and 2 May for resisting arrest.

Apparently he doesn't mind using the courts to declare bankruptcy, having done so twice.
edit on 31/3/14 by erwalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Despite all the "caring" about my family, and me, and the name calling, nobody will address my questions about fat people paying their fair share and how fat people get diseases and can't care for their families properly. I even posted a link showing just how much these fat slobs cost all of us each year and all I heard was ....silence?
How is that situation any different? How is that not protecting one from their own stupidity? Perhaps because it isn't politically correct to point out one's stupidity in reference to food? Why not? Why do they have the "right" to be stupid about food and I don't have the "right" to make my own decisions about whether or not I want to wear a seat belt even though my refusal to do so has never cost anyone a single dime.
And just for clarity: Posting a video of someone running from the law at speeds in excess of 100mph and crashing will not affect my behavior because I don't do that. I'm a law-abiding citizen, haven't had a speeding ticket since 1975 and that one was for 51mph in a 45mph zone, going downhill in a place I later learned was a speed trap. I've been in two accidents. Both times I was sitting still and was rear-ended, not my fault.
As I stated earlier, my luck might end tomorrow and I might get T-boned but I've avoided quite a few accidents by being a defensive and aware driver. On the other hand, I might slip and fall in the shower and get worse injuries than in an car accident. I'm certainly in the shower more often than I'm in a car.
I might fall on the stairs and break my neck. I make dozens of trips up and down the stairs in my home every day.
I might get run over by a cat and get a bad ankle sprain, so bad that my husband has to care for me. Yeah, that happened to me back in December, was on crutches for weeks, far worse injury than any auto accident in which I've been involved. Gotta get that fast little cat a governor!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

diggindirt
Everyone keeps telling me how I MUST wear a seat belt because I'll cost someone some money but nobody has answered any of my questions about where "protecting you from your stupidity" will go and where will you draw the line. I am an adult. My husband is an adult. We are able to make this decision for ourselves. Our children are grown and weaned. They are old enough to make their own decision about whether or not to wear a seat belt. The grandchildren always belt themselves in.
Even though this started out as as a legal matter discussion---I'll call you out one by one on this issue, please give me an answer.

If you are 30 or more pounds overweight, shouldn't you have to submit to government oversight and pay extra taxes because of all the money you are costing the health care system?
BMorris:
Pimpish:
Aliester:
Domo1:
AutumnWitch657:
Nightstalker78:
elethia:
Iamnotadoctor:
bluesilver:
signalfire:
Fat people cost all of us billions of dollars per year in unnecessary health care costs because they can't discipline themselves to eat healthy foods and exercise. Shouldn't they be taxed for all that extra weight they are carrying around? If, after one year of monitoring, they have become any less stupid,(they haven't attained their ideal weight) by your philosophy, shouldn't they be detained in a weight-loss facility so as to avoid all the terrible things that happen to fat people and their fat children?
www.phitamerica.org...

It's called sales tax, they already pay moreof it on food, clothing, their own healthcare, their gas bill, etc etc.

Just another reason to add to why I'm a fan of CONSUMPTION tax and not INCOME tax. Pay tax on what you purchase. IF you are completely self sufficient, then you live essentially tax free!!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by singingbones

More contemporarily, my work in head/brain injury means that I would never let anyone I even vaguely cared for ignore their buckle.

Yet you let them walk down stairs without wearing a helmet.
How does one live with that?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

butcherguy
reply to post by singingbones

More contemporarily, my work in head/brain injury means that I would never let anyone I even vaguely cared for ignore their buckle.

Yet you let them walk down stairs without wearing a helmet.
How does one live with that?

Sarcasm isn't clever.

Yes, someone can fall over in the shower or fall downstairs. However, putting a seatbelt on doesn't affect people negatively in any way. Or shouldn't anyway. I think most sensible people would say there are only benefits to wearing one.

Plus to make a flippant comment about wearing a helmet all the time is mute because we are generally not affected by others when walking or showering etc. Yes, people get injured but we are under our own steam, NOT affected by others actions. However, with a car, you are interacting with other drivers all the time. You are relying on others not hitting you at speed. Or someone running out in front of you. The only way you can legitimately comment about using a helmut in everyday life is if you are likely to risk having someone run into you at 30mph.
edit on 1-4-2014 by bluesilver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bluesilver

Wasn't sarcasm... who is the clever one?

Plus to make a flippant comment about wearing a helmet all the time is mute because we are generally not affected by others when walking or showering etc.

How is anyone else affected "generally" (your term) by me not wearing a seat belt? Please don't use the insurance excuse, because falls are covered by health insurance... but you know that already.

It wasn't flippant.

The only way you can legitimately comment about using a helmut in everyday life is if you are likely to risk having someone run into you at 30mph.

Are you denying that people suffer traumatic head injuries through falls?
Try again.
Seat belts, like HELMETS protect the person wearing them... no one else.
edit on b000000302014-04-01T09:33:09-05:0009America/ChicagoTue, 01 Apr 2014 09:33:09 -0500900000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

However, with a car, you are interacting with other drivers all the time. You are relying on others not hitting you at speed.

Oops, I forgot to ask....

How does someone wearing a seat belt prevent them from hitting you? Wearing a sweat belt does not affect anyone but the person wearing it while they are driving. It protects them, I don't deny that.
edit on b000000302014-04-01T11:50:05-05:0011America/ChicagoTue, 01 Apr 2014 11:50:05 -05001100000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Your lucky you were not summary executed by the cops!

I agree when it comes to adults it up to them is they want to risk being thrown through a windshield.

Dunno why we need law to regulate stupidity.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

According to NICE....
Aetiology
Falls (22-43%) and assaults (30-50%) are the most common cause of a minor head injury, followed by road traffic accidents (25%). Road traffic accidents account for a far greater proportion of moderate-to-severe head injuries.[4]

Link www.patient.co.uk...

In clinical terms, minor means aspirin, watch for mild concussion; mod to major means re-learning to walk and speak, short term memory and cognitive problems, lowered anger threshold, seizures etc...all the things I wish didn't earn me my salary.

So no, thank you, I don't ask loved ones to wear a helmet while strolling to the shops. But seatbelt. I still kinda gotta go with a big, fat yep.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Comment??? Sure... Force them to do what you want when it doesn't affect you in the slightest???? No, that's wrong...

Jaden

I'll wear a seatbelt most times whether mandated or not, but you and government do not have the authority to force me to.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It is good that you had the charges dismissed, now you need to get them expunged from the record.

I wear seatbelts as a matter of course because of experiences I have had personally, and things I have witnessed happening to others because they were not effectively "restrained".

My first experience with wearing or not wearing seatbelts cost me a nice 68 mustang when I got sideways on an icy road, hit a curb under the snow and ended up in the passengers seat where I could not control the car and keep it from going into a body of water nearby to the road.

A not-so-minor traffic accident which resulted in a fire, the driver burning to death because they were knocked unconscious by the impact of it....Where they would have survived and escaped burning to death if they were conscious...

A guy nearby where I live was riding his motorcycle and biffed a deer, to be run over shortly thereafter by another motorist because he was not wearing a helmet and was unconscious and lying in the roadway.

I always hear about people arguing about their rights and such regarding seatbelts and helmets and so on without exercising much common sense at all really.

When trying to exercise your rights, there is a point at which it becomes simple bull-headedness versus common sense.

Many laws only exist because many really do not have an actual realistic and carefully thought out understanding of the risks and responsibilities of sharing space with others while going about their daily meaningless movements.

Yes, the carnage on the roadways makes me angry to witness and I would really like to see many lose the right to move around aimlessly while putting others into danger.

Really though?, how many more people have to be needlessly slaughtered on the road and lose property and cause damage before people get a clue?.

Car insurance and such can't protect you from just being plain stupid.

No offense intended, I just call it like I see it.
edit on 9-4-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: yak

edit on 9-4-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: yak yak

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join