It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Case Dismissed" There is justice.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

Please read the post---never said District Attorney

Actually, it did. See here:

The district attorney stated that was his reading of the statute as well and therefore his only choice was to dismiss the charge with prejudice. I smiled and thanked them both. The judge's comment was, "Well, I've learned something today. But you really should wear your seat belts." I smiled again and said nothing more.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

spooky24
To me bring into the public record a Judge and the word 'wink' is not very bright. The first thing I thought of was LBJ and Air Force One.
All you had to do was say 'my state' instead of identifying to the entire free world this case, a courtroom and the word wink.

Now that you have thrown yours and the Judges privacy rights right down the toilet by bring something into public sphere that is supposed to be secret, out for everyone to see.

Judges make a lot of enemy's-actually traffic court and DUI judges get more threats that criminal court judges. If you recall Charles Harrelson father of Woody is serving a life sentence for killing a judge-the whole thing started out with a parking ticket.

You see it doesn't matter the circumstances, however innocent they may be, an enemy of this judge could bring this all out in the open. While they are at it the case, your name, the judges name, the prosecutor's name are all fair game-remember YOU are the one that brought this up-no body forced you or dug this up-you provided it.

This is dirty business-I should know-you should do the right thing and find your friend the judge and show him word for word what you showed the world about his courtroom-and how he settles cases.

He is going to be livid-and the word 'wink' that is so awful so bad he is going to cringe when he sees that. God that is just terrible.

???? Excuse me, where did you see the word "wink" in my post? Where did you get the idea this was "secret"? There were about 60 other people in the court room---this was traffic court. Wow! just Wow!
I think what is "terrible" here are your reading and comprehension skills---did you even read the post? Have a nice cuppa tea and untangle your panties....sheese....

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

spooky24
Judges make a lot of enemy's-actually traffic court and DUI judges get more threats that criminal court judges. If you recall Charles Harrelson father of Woody is serving a life sentence for killing a judge-the whole thing started out with a parking ticket.

Maybe it started with a legitimate parking ticket. A parking ticket written because the public was put in jeopardy because of where Harrelson's vehicle was parked. Maybe, just maybe it started because it was just another revenue generating fraud by yet another bureaucratic group trying to meet their overblown budgets.

As far as the OP being ticketed after they gave the cop the text of the relevant law, at minimum these victims should be suing both the officer and the department. This scumbag cop needs his a** handed to him.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

diggindirt

spooky24
I'm only a few miles south of the base and I will never believe that this exchange occurred in a court in session that is public record.

"The district attorney stated that was his reading of the statute as well and therefore his only choice was to dismiss the charge with prejudice. I smiled and thanked them both. The judge's comment was, "Well, I've learned something today. But you really should wear your seat belts." I smiled again and said nothing more.

You are telling me that David J. Hale had this exchange with you and a non mentioned judge over a seat belt violation in open court?.
" But you really should wear your seat belts" That could get your mystery judge impeached for misconduct as it is not up to the judge to decide how laws are enforced. Also, you charged that you were given 'special treatment' by the judge because you knew him? This stuff is public record.

You rant and rail at the system yet you do EXACTLY what you rant and rail about- You smiled at DA Hale and the judge and get off?

What in the Sam hill would the District Attorney be doing in traffic court?

Good job-the officer was trying to save your life.

Huh?
I live in Kentucky. The County Attorney is David Harrington. (Please read the post---never said District Attorney)

Ummm...errr...what!?!?

The district attorney stated that was his reading of the statute as well and therefore his only choice was to dismiss the charge with prejudice.

That is a direct quote from your OP...

I still do not think you have shot your chance at a movie deal however...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Cynic
Nice to see you know your stuff!
But why did the Prosecutor ask that the charge be dismissed WITH prejudice?
Sounds like he was pissed off that someone lower on the food chain than he actually beat him at his own game.
Great job!
Now go after the idiot that thought he could do an end run on the State's statute and your rights under same to get your personal apology.

"Dismissed with prejudice" means that the case is legally dead and can't be brought up again. He wasn't pissed at all, he was sitting there shaking his head at the abject ignorance of the officer I suppose because he sees this a lot. There were at least a dozen dismissals of charges just in the time we spent in the courtroom that day for citations that shouldn't have been written. Most were for "no insurance card in possession" despite the fact that the statute was changed last year to allow for the "insurance card" to be displayed on an e-gadget, the local PD won't stop demanding a paper card be shown. It is up to citizens who are being impacted to make complaints against these out of control cops. Thus my complaints to the chief of police.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

LucidWarrior

Please read the post---never said District Attorney

Actually, it did. See here:

The district attorney stated that was his reading of the statute as well and therefore his only choice was to dismiss the charge with prejudice. I smiled and thanked them both. The judge's comment was, "Well, I've learned something today. But you really should wear your seat belts." I smiled again and said nothing more.

Sorry. (insert red-faced icon here) I'll take my 40 lashes....you are entirely correct. I did mis-type on that, but earlier I had stated it was the county attorney. Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

juspassinthru

spooky24

Maybe it started with a legitimate parking ticket. A parking ticket written because the public was put in jeopardy because of where Harrelson's vehicle was parked. Maybe, just maybe it started because it was just another revenue generating fraud by yet another bureaucratic group trying to meet their overblown budgets.

As far as the OP being ticketed after they gave the cop the text of the relevant law, at minimum these victims should be suing both the officer and the department. This scumbag cop needs his a** handed to him.

Well, since we're retired and can't claim loss of income due to his actions I'm doubting we could get very far in court so I'm going for a little education for the officer by his boss. If his boss won't address the issue, I'm pretty sure the chief's boss, the mayor, will do so. I could probably overlook it had he not threatened to take us to jail but in all my 60 years I've never before been threatened with arrest for anything, nor has my husband. I do believe that calling in the K-9 unit and another unit was a bit over the top. It is my belief that my bumper sticker, which says, "Washington and Jefferson grew hemp. Why can't we?" was probably the reason he called in the K-9 unit. They might have been able to intimidate a teenager or some chump who didn't know their rights but it won't work on these old geezers.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

kosmicjack
So your pre-1981 vehicle has seat belts, which you refuse to wear? Seems silly to me. Mind you, I'm against seatbelt laws..but for common sense.

I don't see this as some victory for justice, just an overblown battle of wills. Irresistible force meets immovable object and wastes taxpayer money.

reply to post by totallackey

LMAO!
edit on 3/28/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

My body, my choice. I took the time and effort to lobby on this law when the Feds threatened to take away Federal highway funding unless Kentucky made this a primary stop law so now I get a choice if I am traveling in my vehicle.
It wasn't me that wasted the taxpayers' dollars, it was the arrogant, ignorant police officer who apparently has issues with the ability to read. You really think people should be jailed for not wearing a seat belt?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Seat belt laws are pro & con. A persom in an accident that's wearing their seat belt and it saved them...will always be PRO seat belt laws. But on the other hand you have the person that was not wearing a seat belt and perhaps thrown out of a vehicle and that in fact saved their life...they would be CON on seat belt laws. IMHO, to have them and choose not to use them is just stupid. I bet your insurance company just loves you....Get into an accident and explain to your insurance company WHY you were not buckled up...and watch them refuse to pay out & then drop you like a hot rock.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thanks for your opinion but it is just your opinion.
My opinion is that people who eat fast food loaded with high fat content and who knows what else are idiots and they are costing society far more in health costs than a few folks who make the choice not to buckle their seat belts. It's my opinion that people who walk around drinking sodas with aspartame are idiots who are ruining their kidneys and brains and costing society a bundle in increased medical costs. It's my opinion that people who drive with cell phones to their ear while operating a vehicle are idiots too but I see people doing it all the time, even cops.

The difference between you and me? I think that if you want to do those things, you should be perfectly free to do so because it's not up to me to protect you from yourself.
And just for your information, my car is very safe, has regular six month check-ups with the mechanic and is made of metal, not plastic. I've survived two rear-endings with only a tail-light broken. The other guys' entire front cap fell off both times because the car was made of plastic. Those cars probably need seat belts to be safe.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

openyourmind1262
Seat belt laws are pro & con. A persom in an accident that's wearing their seat belt and it saved them...will always be PRO seat belt laws. But on the other hand you have the person that was not wearing a seat belt and perhaps thrown out of a vehicle and that in fact saved their life...they would be CON on seat belt laws. IMHO, to have them and choose not to use them is just stupid. I bet your insurance company just loves you....Get into an accident and explain to your insurance company WHY you were not buckled up...and watch them refuse to pay out & then drop you like a hot rock.

Nope, insurance company recognizes the Commonwealth law on the subject. They do love me by way. I've been insured since 1972 and have never had a claim that they had to pay. In the two rear-ending accidents in which I was involved the use of seat belts was never mentioned and the claim for the busted tail lights was below the cost of my deductible. So yeah, they love us and so does the Commonwealth because we pay a bunch of money in insurance surcharges each year.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

diggindirt
Well, since we're retired and can't claim loss of income due to his actions I'm doubting we could get very far in court so I'm going for a little education for the officer by his boss. If his boss won't address the issue, I'm pretty sure the chief's boss, the mayor, will do so. I could probably overlook it had he not threatened to take us to jail but in all my 60 years I've never before been threatened with arrest for anything, nor has my husband. I do believe that calling in the K-9 unit and another unit was a bit over the top. It is my belief that my bumper sticker, which says, "Washington and Jefferson grew hemp. Why can't we?" was probably the reason he called in the K-9 unit. They might have been able to intimidate a teenager or some chump who didn't know their rights but it won't work on these old geezers.

It has ceased to amaze me at this point how obtuse people can be about the discussion regarding the misuse of power by government.

"Free government is founded in jealousy, not confidence.  It is jealousy and not confidence which prescribes limited constitutions, to bind those we are obliged to trust with power.... In questions of power, then, let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
edit on 28-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Mental note to self: Self never move to Kentucky.

(post by AreUKiddingMe removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have two questions.

1) Does this car come equipped with seat belts ?
Ok I missed the officer saying you had seat belts installed or the car came with seat belts

2) Soooo, why weren't you both wearing them ?

I couldn't conceive of getting in the car and not putting on a seat belt. It's second nature to everyone in the family. Like putting the key in the ignition.

This is absolutely a true story, a coincidence, and a great illustration.
A lady wrapped her Lincoln towncar around the light pole in front of my house just last Saturday . The pole was deeply embedded into the front of her car and her door was folded and couldn't be opened. She had to slide over and get out the passenger door. She walked away without a scratch.
Her airbag did not deploy. She had her seat belt on.

Seat Belts Save Lives
edit on PM000000310000000331340312014-03-28T20:40:06-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM000000310000000331341312014-03-28T20:41:32-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM000000310000000331342312014-03-28T20:42:33-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Just because you lost friends in car fires doesn't mean that's going to happen to you. (I am sorry for your loss. )
It doesn't even make it likely. How many lives were lost by flying through a windshield. I'm your age and I remember cars without seat belts and how often there were accidents where people died by going through the glass.
If you're not secure with the old style belts or worry it may jam have new ones with push button release installed. Do what ever it takes but please
Buckle Up...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

The district attorney stated that was his reading of the statute as well and therefore his only choice was to dismiss the charge with prejudice

This could allow them to use the ticket against you later.

if you are caught in a post 1981 car and you were not wearing your seat belt thy might try to make this a second offense.
and in many cases a second offense is 2 to 3 times the fine of a first offense.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Just because you lost friends in car fires doesn't mean that's going to happen to you. (I am sorry for your loss. )
It doesn't even make it likely. How many lives were lost by flying through a windshield. I'm your age and I remember cars without seat belts and how often there were accidents where people died by going through the glass.
If you're not secure with the old style belts or worry it may jam have new ones with push button release installed. Do what ever it takes but please
Buckle Up...

The answer to your question is that they make me very uncomfortable so I don't like to wear them. I have that right in my state because I lobbied the legislature to exclude antique and vintage cars from the law.
I could easily say to you---just because you can hold a cell phone to your ear, it doesn't mean you should. Lots of studies are beginning to show that those nifty little devices that are held next the brain are causing problems with brain function, especially in children's undeveloped brains.
Lots of studies are showing that fluoride in the water is decreasing intelligence.
See how that works?
Do you know who first lobbied for seat belts? Was the medical profession? or insurance companies? If you are my age then you will remember that it was the insurance lobby that supported the mandatory seat belt laws. They simply paid docs to line up behind them and say "Seat belts save lives." time and time again. If you've ever talked with ER docs and nurses about the subject you'll find that a goodly number wouldn't fasten a seat belt on a dare, especially the shoulder/chest belts. While you're at it, ask them about all the injuries from air bags and how many children and small people were/are killed by air bag deployment.
Then, governments realized they could bring in a ton of revenue....and well, it's been pretty profitable for them. They even get grants from the federal government to set up "Click It or Ticket" roadblocks...they are SO concerned with our health....nah....if they were actually concerned with our health they wouldn't be pouring toxic waste into the drinking water and sending SWAT teams to organic food stores, co-ops and farms.
You know, don't you that people are hurt/die all the time from parachutes failing to open when people jump out of perfectly good airplanes? Why has this practice not been banned by government? I lost a former student to a failed parachute when she was doing what she loved best---jumping from a plane for fun. It was her right and although I miss her I would never have told her "You shouldn't do that because you might get hurt." That's just crazy talk. She was an adult human being who knew the risks and made her decision.
You may be right, I might be in an accident someday and die due to not wearing a seat belt. Then again, I might trip on the stairs tomorrow and break my neck and die or spend the rest of my days regretting that I decided to go downstairs to get a drink of water.
In the end---it is my life and my choice.
My husband has already survived a ruptured aorta back in '85, which the docs say make him 1 in 5 million people. He was on a motorcycle, doing the speed limit, wearing a helmet---but the inattentive driver hit him in the chest rather than the head. Geeze, ya just never know do ya?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

It is the job of the government to protect its citizens and making driving laws are one way they do that. It's hardly an invasion of civil rights.
If not to save your own life than to keep from becoming a bloody projectile perhaps taking out a pedestrian. Or maybe you just fly sideways into the driver and they loose control of the car, crossing the medium and crashing head on into a lady on her way to work. Killing all involved. Take out two or you know a church van full of five year olds going to see Disney on Ice.
But it's a citizen's right to make this decision so, Sic Semper Tyrannis !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join