It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are add-ons "legal"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This is one of the biggest reasons there are piracy problems. I pay for about half a dozen different services, and I find myself watching movies lent to me by friends who simply download and burn them, or load dozens on to data sticks and toss them to their friends when done.

There was actually a service in Canada that simply did exactly what you are asking about awhile back. I think there was some push and shove legally between the two, or hollywood was raising a stink over it, but I don't remember anything happening from it.

The production companies behind the scenes are part of the problem, and all the distributors that want "exclusive rights" as well as wanting to charge licensing for each area, without offering a reasonable blanket license.

In other words, every distributor and retailer is trying to be "exclusive" but all you end up with is lop-sided, extremely lacking libraries. So I can sign up to half a dozen services, pay for thousands of media I do not want, or am not interested in... But I still need all six because each one has a single release I'm interested in....

And they wonder why people click "download" instead...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleOwl

I live in Ontario and I use Un-Blockus to acess United States Netflix because it has twice the amount of flicks to watch . It is perfectly legal and lots of companies offer this service for 4 or 5 bucks a month . The reason Netflix Canada sucks is Rogers Communications and Bell Media buy up all the rights so no one can show it . They hate Netflix because they charge $8 a movie . Enough said
Cheers and enjoy

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm here to provide an alternate view!

I am in Canada, and found that while the library is small, they often to get new releases faster than US. The Marvel movies have shown up there on average at least a month ahead of US Netflix.

Not that we don't use a proxy... We've got our PlayStation and tablet configured with UnblockUS, and cycle through the available countries there, while Keeping the Mac (also connected to our TV) and our phones on Canadian. It gives a pretty good view of everything that comes out.

(Side note: Lots of Disney movies on Ireland... but lots of Disney TV shows on US.)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

boncho

In other words, every distributor and retailer is trying to be "exclusive" but all you end up with is lop-sided, extremely lacking libraries. So I can sign up to half a dozen services, pay for thousands of media I do not want, or am not interested in... But I still need all six because each one has a single release I'm interested in....

And they wonder why people click "download" instead...

Absolutely, plus you have say Universal signing deals with netflix, Lionsgate being exclusive to amazon prime, 20th century fox doing a deal with LoveFilm.... so you never get all of the content, it's so fragmented.
Which is why things like popcorn time, XBMC + loads of others have become so popular.
It's not that people mind paying or like stealing, but they are FORCED into seeking content from illegal places or watching streamed content from free sites because it is ALL there, all tv shows, all movies.
If all these companies stop putting the mighty $$ first and actually cared about building up a huge customer base and cared about providing a great, all encompassing service, it would reduce piracy massively, to the point that it would almost be negligible and they would make even more money.
Their own greed is costing them money.... ahh the irony.

edit on 28/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ezappa

Yeah that's the one I am using now. Interestingly, when I disabled it and went back to Canadian, Netflix made me sign in again, though I am usually always logged in. Perhaps a coincidence ...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ghosthunterrlive

Hmmm, did not know that. I assumed the problem was Hollywood studios, not the near monopoly of providers we have up here.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

That's interesting; I was unaware. The smaller library has led me to watch things I would not normally check out and for the most part, it's worked out. The movies I watched were generally pretty good.

I love Marvel movies, so I will be sure to keep checking the Canadian site. Though I am sure X-Men First Class was on the Canadian Netflix, but now it's gone. I suppose I misremembered ...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Something you said here made me want to warn you about "add-ons". You said it was just easy to do....watch out for other "add-ons"....some are made to carry virus, pop-up adds, worms, trojans, phishing scams...you name it.

Not all...or even a majority of them...but you said you did because you arent very tech-savvy, and it was easy and attractive. They feed on people like that. Always check stuff out. ATS is a great place for that! These members are in the know!

MS

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

This had not even crossed my mind. The one I am using is Media Hint ... I did some googling and it seems safe, but I will beware and run spyware/virus checks regularly. Thanks

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

A small explanation here...there are files, videos, music links, ads...that say "CLICK HER TO WATCH NOW" etc (you know the kind)...and when you DO click them...it can release malware, virus-worms etc....even install a file into your own files saying something like "file is deleted-re-install"...and it will....keep going and going...so you can see why its so hard to get rid of the bad stuff.

Watch what you click...in emails, ads, video and music, add-on, "download this free software"...or "you are using the old version of...click here to..." See? So, it pays to ask around before you click open and add-on stuff.

I know just a bit about this stuff....but stick around ATS, ask questions....and you'll get a lot of helpful encouragement and advice.

Good luck to you! MS

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join