It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are add-ons "legal"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
OK, so this may get me in trouble with mods, but I hope not.

I am in Canada and use Netflix; Netflix Canada sucks. Bad.

Now if I were to use an add-on for Firefox to access US Netflix, would that be "illegal"? Could/would Netflix ban even my regular Canadian account? Would they even know?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleOwl

Is there a difference??? I have netflix and live in the US but had no idea that it would be different in Canada. How do you know it's not the same??? Are the choices different???

I doubt you have anything to worry about though.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

We have much less to choose from than you guys in the US. For example, Action/Adventure has about 20 movies up here ... and TONS down there.

It's apparently due to licensing with the studios. And it's annoying

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Why not just go through a US proxy in the US, it's pretty easy to add to firefox without an Add-On.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Really???? That doesn't make any sense to me. So you can't even search for them???

Anyway, I personally wouldn't worry about getting in trouble for simply accessing the media which they offer everyone else. Even if they did find out and have a problem with it, I'd just tell them exactly why and that it's a bunch of BS and if they still complain I'd drop em.

I don't understand how all of Canada is not legally allowed to watch whatever we watch in the US though. Netflix has movies from many sources both main stream and independent and I would imagine that all Legalities are their responsibility, not Canada's. Very strange.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I shall look into this. I did the add-on simply because it was easy and I am not very techie. But I would try it

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

I have tried searching for titles and I get "not available" or "not available for streaming."

I understand it's only 8 bucks, but I want what everyone else gets for their 8 bucks.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

InvisibleOwl
reply to post by mOjOm

I have tried searching for titles and I get "not available" or "not available for streaming."

I understand it's only 8 bucks, but I want what everyone else gets for their 8 bucks.

Ya, I don't blame you!! I'd be pissed too. Why is your money any different than others???? I'd say they either owe you some money back or they should cough up the same service as they are giving everyone else.

I use an addon in firefox on occasion that allows me to watch vids that aren't allowed here as well and it works like a champ so I'd say do what you have to do. It's not like you're asking for anything special. You just want the same as what others are getting, so screw em. But that's just me. Take my advice at your own risk..

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

InvisibleOwl
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I shall look into this. I did the add-on simply because it was easy and I am not very techie. But I would try it

Shame, I got you a proxy list HERE for bunch of them, but that's cool. Whatever works best for you and the proxy is always a second option.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
No, it's not illegal.

I have Danish Netflix, and to get the US version which have twice the content i use this one, also works for Youtube sensored in your country and a lot of other stuff.

It's just an app for your selected browser.

CLICK ME

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The question you should ask yourself, is it illegal to mask your IP address? As far as I understand, it's not illegal to do it in Australia, UK, Canada or USA.

Do what you will with this information, but I will tell you there's millions across the planet masking their IPs as we speak.

www.addictedtomedia.net...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Mianeye
No, it's not illegal.

I have Danish Netflix, and to get the US version which have twice the content i use this one, also works for Youtube sensored in your country and a lot of other stuff.

It's just an app for your selected browser.

CLICK ME

Yep, that's it. Doesn't come up all that often but when it does I like having the option to find out what I'm "Not Allowed" to view for myself.

Don't ever let anyone try and tell you that the US doesn't censor the internet cause that is BS. I can tell you for a fact that I've had to pretend to be from the UK a few times just to watch some vids which were not allowed to be viewed here in the US. Freedom of Speech/Press my @SS!!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Why does this situation even exist?

Does Netflix pay the media creators based on where the viewer is located?

Did some media creator make a contractual condition that no Canadians can view their content because...?

Like why the hell wouldn't it be all content access to all users no matter where their location is?

Anyways, to answer your question: I think you are breaking contractual agreement if you do that, but I doubt they would sue you over it. I mean, I don't know for sure, so you might want to check the terms and services which you agreed to.

See term 6c

eta: The part you are probably interested in is: "only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such movie or TV show."

This is likely addressing the licensing agreement they made with the media creators with regard to which clients would or would not have access to it (you) but it is worded in such a way as to allow it to read almost whatever you want. E.g. You could take it to mean that you are in a location where they offer service so you have the right to view any content they host.
edit on 3/28/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies all. I will try to address all of you in one post

I agree that this situation should not exist; makes no sense to me. I can't understand why movie studios would not want as many people as possible watching their movies (and paying for this as Netflix users do. I am not attempting to take anything for free).

I like that list of proxies ... thanks. I am pretty tech illiterate, so the add-on was just the simple thing for me to do. I will look into proxies as well.

I was unaware of the term "ip masking" but I guess that's what I am doing. When I tried it briefly it looks like Netflix thinks I am a Canadian travelling in the US, so I get your content through my regular account.

As for #6 under contractual obligations, I guess I should read those
I never read fine print. Well I think I will take my chances; I have watched nearly everything I find interesting on the Canadian site, so if I am caught and banned, it's not much of a loss.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

If you're still bored I might be able to help ya out. I....Ummm....Know this guy, who isn't me, who knows a few other cool sites where you can watch just about any show/movie you can think of including older shows from years ago and ones that are current. Movies too. But I can't say, I mean, He can't say anything on here in public but if you're interested message me or send a pigeon my way and I'll get back to ya.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

so if I am caught and banned, it's not much of a loss.

You wont, Netflix are well aware of people doing it but don't care as long as people pay in there respected country.
It isn't Netflix fault, it's the copyright holders, so Netflix propably coulden't care less.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Starred just for making me laugh

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Interesting point. I had not considered that Netflix itself wouldn't care. I would imagine even they find it silly that studios won't allow certain countries to watch certain movies. Thanks

And yeah, I am perfectly happy paying for it, which made me wonder more if what I am doing is wrong

edit on 28-3-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I spend a lot of time down in Central and South America yu have to use a proxy to access your accounts in the states like netflix. I just gave up on it all and used torrents.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I'm in UK and use Media hint to get US version of Netflix. When media hint is installed into my browser the USA version of Netflix does have allot more shows than what is on UK version.
I do not know if its illegal though to install Media hint and view USA version.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join