It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Treatment to Kill Every Kind of Cancer Tumor

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
hello world

As some have said, the foxnews article dated 03/2013 links to a sciencemag article dated 03/2012. I read a similar article on sciencedaily published last week. I've been kinda waiting to see it pop up on here. At first, this is what I thought OP had posted. Cut to the chase..

www.sciencedaily.com...

In the method published last week, they manipulated CD95 vs CD47 in OP..

"Peter and his team tested cancer cells from nine different tissue origins. Instead of proliferating, the cells increased their size and the production of harmful reactive oxygen species, resulting in DNA damage. In their first attempt to divide, they died."

-- Worked 9 for 9

"To confirm the importance of CD95 for the survival of cancer cells in vivo, Peter and colleagues removed it from tissues in animal models and found that cancer could not form."

-- Cancer could not form in cells stripped of CD95

"We know CD95 is not essential for the survival of any tissue outside of the immune system because mice with a deletion of either CD95 or CD95 ligand complete an average lifecycle with no illness other than autoimmunity,"

-- Average lifecycle in mice, I'm assuming problems with immune system are combated with drugs.

"Peter is now working with Chad Mirkin, the George B. Rathmann Professor of Chemistry in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and professor of medicine at Feinberg, to induce DICE in cancer cells using small interfering RNAs delivered by gold nanoparticles." (DICE = Death induced by CD95 receptor or ligand elimination)

-- Delivery Method??

Now.. Am I wrong to see the implications for deep space travel? I'm assuming the mice had CD95 stripped at conception some how. Would it be possible to remove CD95 in every cell, of say an astronaut, to prevent cancer outright?

Anyway, I was real glad to see this OP. I hope the cure is available in time for those that need it.
edit on 28-3-2014 by DZER01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
As amazing as this news does sound, and I really hope nothing more than for it to be true, but....

Cancer research is a multi billon £ pound/ $ dollar industry, I cant see the government wanting to give that up any time soon. I am pretty sure they are already sitting on the cure.
edit on 28-3-2014 by TotalAddict because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TotalAddict

Those researchers, funding, tax dollars, and the resulting revenue stream could move on to something else that's important. If you're curing cancer that's some serious talent. Has to be other fields that would benefit from the influx of skill. If they were sitting on the cure, A) All the people that could have been saved. B) Wasting the time of all those scientists that continued research. yeah.. not cool. Between CD95 and CD47 it could be that the genie is out of the bottle.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Phage
Very encouraging.
One has to wonder though, wouldn't there be auto-immune effects? Wouldn't normal cells also be attacked? Seems like side effects might rival those of current chemotherapy in that regard.

I had this notion also.

My father suffers from Autoimmune diseases and he is on a series of drugs that are designed to suppress the immune system.... but if the cause of of Autoimmune diseases is an imbalance of CD47 then surely there is also research to be done concerning the bodies natural production of this clearly vital protein.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

iamhobo

OpinionatedB
reply to post by iamhobo

Too late for my daughter, but I am in tears of joy for the next woman who wont have to watch her baby suffer like that - and the next young adult who will be raising their children instead of others.

edit on 27-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost both my grandfathers to cancer (lung and prostate).

Big internet hug for you.

Thank you for your kind words...big internet hugs right back atcha!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Better late than never though! I am sincerely sorry about your friend.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Incredible incredible incredible if true, but lemme guess; It will cost $500,000 per dose? I hope this gets to, in time, to all the people who desperately need it. Start human trials immediately!! The eradication of cancer would be a good day on earth.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

"Scientists that found treatment to every kind of cancer tumor found dead.

Suicide by car accident ruled most likely cause."

Tomorrow's headline.........

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

Who will spend more money on health related medicines, procedures etc:

The person who dies from cancer or
The person who is cured and continues to live.

I get you. But the money comes from treatment whether they live or not. And my guess is that a lot more people die from the plethora of cancers than are cured. Wondering what those stats are, by the way.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

SaturnFX

kathat
Ok so they can cure it, what it cancer being replaced with to keep us perpeptually ill?

McDonalds.

And if that fails, KFC and Starbucks!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

iamhobo
reply to post by Phage

Hopefully the side effects aren't too bad, but I'm sure those experiencing chemotherapy would do just about anything to try something new.

One can only hope I suppose.

LOL Side Effects? ...

Thank goodness it isn't Nano Bots that Did the JOB

( The Fiction )

Ever Seen, the Episode The New Breed from 1990s version of The Outer Limits ?
"The New Breed" is an episode of The Outer Limits television show. It first aired on 23 June 1995, during the first season.

The New Breed (The Outer Limits)

Dr. Stephen Ledbetter makes a technological and medical breakthrough when he creates a type of tiny machine, known as nanobots, capable of curing any disease or imperfections in the human body.

Stephen's best friend Dr. Andy Groenig tells him that he wants to marry Stephen's sister, Judy. Overjoyed at the news, Stephen shows Andy the nanobots and explains what a remarkable breakthrough they are. Andy later discovers that he has pelvic cancer, and has approximately one year to live if the hip and leg are not removed. In desperation he sneaks into Stephen's lab and injects himself with the nanobots. They quickly eliminate his cancer.

Stephen embarks on a series of tests to find out exactly what the nanobots are capable of. Andy is submerged in water and unable to breathe, but the nanobots keep him alive. Things begin to go wrong when Andy wakes up the following day to find that the nanobots have responded to the tests by giving him gills, allowing him to breathe underwater in the future. After telling Stephen of this, they both agree that the nanobots must be deactivated immediately. Stephen is unsuccessful — he takes measure after measure to stop them, but he is never able to eradicate all of them. The nanobots continue making "improvements" to Andy, including giving him eyes in the back of his head, bones above his stomach, keen hearing, and jellyfish-like stinging tentacles on his skin.

en.wikipedia.org...

( The Reality )

South Korea scientists develop cancer-treating nanobots
Robot tech hitches ride on bacteria genetically engineered to locate tumors – and that don't have side effects.
By Reuters and Haaretz | Jan. 8, 2014 | 12:42 PM
www.haaretz.com...

How will nanobots help cure cancer?

by Elizabeth Sprouse
health.howstuffworks.com...

Scientists unveil world's first cancer-fighting nanobot

By Michelle Starr | December 18, 2013
www.cnet.com.au...

Life Imitates Art
Art Imitates Life

Combine Nanobot, Synthetic cells and re- Engineered cells then we have a Problem.

OHHH Yeah

Ray Kurzweil Says We’re Going to Live Forever
Interview by ANDREW GOLDMAN
Published: January 25, 2013
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Strewth
reply to post by iamhobo

"Scientists that found treatment to every kind of cancer tumor found dead.

Suicide by car accident ruled most likely cause."

Tomorrow's headline.........

Yup Agreed ... to extent ..

Dead Scientists 2004-2014
www.stevequayle.com...

( here just a few )

Anne Szarewski, 53, pioneered the cervical cancer vaccine.

Dr. Kentunuti worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and dedicated her whole life to being a doctor and helping kids with cancer

Franco Cerrina, 62. Died July 12 was found dead in a lab at BU’s Photonics Center on Monday morning. The cause of death is not yet known, but have ruled out homicide. Cerrina joined the faculty of BU in 2008 after spending 24 years on the faculty at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He co-founded five companies, including NimbleGen Systems, Genetic Assemblies (merged with Codon Devices in 2006), Codon Devices, Biolitho, and Gen9, according to Nanowerk News. NimbleGen, a Madison, WI-based provider of DNA microarray technology, was sold to Basel, Switzerland-based Roche in 2007 for $272.5 million. Cerrina, chairman of the electrical and computer engineering department, came to BU two years ago from the University of Wisconsin at Madison as a leading scholar in optics, lithography, and nanotechnology, according to his biography on the university website. The scholar was responsible for establishing a new laboratory in the Photonics Center.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Very cool, I have lost one brother to Leukemia and now have a second brother with asophagial cancer. This drug holds promise. I'm not an oncologist but, could the uptick in blood cell production bring about any issues with bone marrow, kidneys and liver?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DZER01

I read that article also. Here is something interesting that may fit in as an adjuvant to the whole thing. www.nature.com... There are inhibitors of CD95 in some everyday foods. Also a chemical in the Rutabaga can kill certain types of cancer. It is a type of caffeic acid. There is another chemical in the rutabaga that causes growth of normal cells also, but that is heat liable. Cooking destroys it Celery is a very potent medicine also, a chemical it contains can also help stop us from getting cancer if consumed occasionally, that is a heat stable compound also.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Rezlooper

bbracken677

intrptr
reply to post by Oaktree

No money in a cure.

You said it. The money is in the medicine. Besides, I don't see anyone struggling to remove all the carcinogens from our environment. As long as they keep pumping cancer causing agents into our bodies, I don't really see the point in a cure.

"You're cured, now go eat and drink and breathe some more polluted swill. We'll be waiting."

Who will spend more money on health related medicines, procedures etc:

The person who dies from cancer or
The person who is cured and continues to live.

Actually, the person who dies after a long struggle to live. Maybe several months of treatments, maybe several years, but how much do you think all that cost versus popping a pill and it all goes away. Granted, the pill will probably be a 30-day treatment at $2,500 per pill a day, or some other costly way. I'm sure it won't be cheap either way.

Yeah, but the company that comes out with a cure will X the competition and achieve virtual godhood in the industry. You seem to not understand the dynamics involved with competition and profit. Most of my life was spent in the corporate rat race and that whole philosophy of "hiding" cures is ludicrous at best. When it comes to competitive edges, cures will trump half-assed symptom treatments by a mile and a half.

Perhaps it is as simple as a cure for cancer is much more difficult than cures for other diseases (see my list of cures during the 20th century) than other diseases.

Not everything is a conspiracy. Corporations exist to make money and defeating the competition is king. It's like warfare but in the economic sense. To hide a cure is tantamount to a country at war hiding a weapon that could end the war, rather than using it to win in order to extend the war. Like McDonalds hiding a fabulously cheap recipe/food that is healthy and would kick ass if presented in their menu...but instead choosing to maintain the balance of power between the fast food chains and burying it.... lol

For a Drug company to hide a cure for cancer would be like being dealt 4 aces and then folding. It's stupid.

Hiding cures makes for good fodder for the conspiracy grist mill but makes absolutely no sense in the real world.
edit on 28-3-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

This article is over a year old... I had to do a double take too. Stupid 2014... Perhaps a follow up on all this is in order? Still neat!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

wouldn't there be auto-immune effects?

There are. But:

Although macrophages also attacked blood cells expressing CD47 when mice were given the antibody, the researchers found that the decrease in blood cells was short-lived; the animals turned up production of new blood cells to replace those they lost from the treatment, the team reports online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

(from the OP source)

Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet. Evidently few people bother to click links.

Still, as you say, human trials.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Ah. 2012.

So, trials this year. Probably be a while yet.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Oaktree
I surprise myself with my pessimism lately.
If this turns out to be true, I would wager this never sees the light of day.

All the research will be purchased, patented, then deep-sixed until the "cure" can be turned into something that people become dependent on for life, rather than actually curing a disease.

No money in a cure.

Um, yeah...it has already seen the light of day. Jesus, took all of one half page for someone to be the sad trombone sound.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

OpinionatedB
reply to post by iamhobo

Too late for my daughter, but I am in tears of joy for the next woman who wont have to watch her baby suffer like that - and the next young adult who will be raising their own children.

edit on 27-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

too late for my husband as well, agree with what you said

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join