It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunshot victims to be suspended between life and death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It seems science in the medical field is advancing at an alarming rate for certain things but there's still no public cure for cancer. Sad.

This seems like it's straight out of a science fiction novel.

Doctors will try to save the lives of 10 patients with knife or gunshot wounds by placing them in suspended animation, buying time to fix their injuries

NEITHER dead or alive, knife-wound or gunshot victims will be cooled down and placed in suspended animation later this month, as a groundbreaking emergency technique is tested out for the first time.

Surgeons are now on call at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to perform the operation, which will buy doctors time to fix injuries that would otherwise be lethal.

"We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," says Samuel Tisherman, a surgeon at the hospital, who is leading the trial. "So we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

I'm all for it if it can indeed save more lives. I don't see the ethical downside.

Source

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
He's not going to make it unplug him.... whats that? oh he has insurance? Try harder damn it there's a life at stake!
edit on 27-3-2014 by crucified because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The interesting question is what will they say when they wake up.

This could turn out to be quite interesting folks. I'm definition keeping an eye on this one. Star and Flagged.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

I've watched vids about this, and it does seem to work. It reminds me of a docu I watched about a frog that lives in the arctic. During the winter every cell in its body coats itself with sugar, then the entire frog freezes solid! In the spring its once again the same happy frog. I remember it caused a commotion amongst the religious because people were suggesting thaat during winter it was dead,, but in the spring it came BACK to life!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

I don't know why, but this is kind of mind blowing to me, although I'm not at all surprised. It really is like a work of sci fi!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ah, one day they will freeze prisoners to serve time....much cheaper on tax payers!

"To freeze a being solid, then hang him on a wall like some trophy?"
―Han Solo, expressing his disdain with the Galactic Alliance's carbon-freezing methods

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Freeze non criminal victims.

Gang bangers let them play the lottery to see of they live.

Criminals doing time should do every stinking day of hard time..

They should only be frozen just long enough in cases where freezing will allow them to spend even more of there lives in jail.
And should have the frozen time not count on there sentence.
It would mean if they are frozen for a year the get a extra year in jail.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

imitator
Ah, one day they will freeze prisoners to serve time....much cheaper on tax payers!

"To freeze a being solid, then hang him on a wall like some trophy?"
―Han Solo, expressing his disdain with the Galactic Alliance's carbon-freezing methods

Why would 20 years going by in an instant be a deterrent to crime?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
imo its just creating a whole new drug/pharmaceutical market for dealing with the fact that US has the highest # gun homicides of all compared to all other 'developed' countries (which is a bloody shame in and of itself).

cooling the body down for any length of time opens it up to fungal, bacterial infections, hypothermia, pnemonia, nerve damage, brain damage, teratogenics, and who knows what else.

but yea its a good technology to have on reserve but to be using on a daily basis in america nationwide? time to look at the bigger picture as to why so many ppl are being shot and massacred in america or wherever it is, in the 1st place

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Nah.... They wouldn't freeze the brain into a comatose state.

I'm sure they could keep the prisoners brain active while frozen, probably plant a chip to control part of the brain to keep up with the time of day, adjust their biological clock with seasonal changes and length of time etc.

They would be awake and aware, a prisoner in their frozen body. They wouldn't be in jail cells, but in refrigerated like lockers used in mortuaries and funerary chambers.

That would be hell....

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

imitator

OccamsRazor04

Nah.... They wouldn't freeze the brain into a comatose state.

I'm sure they could keep the prisoners brain active while frozen, probably plant a chip to control part of the brain to keep up with the time of day, adjust their biological clock with seasonal changes and length of time etc.

They would be awake and aware, a prisoner in their frozen body. They wouldn't be in jail cells, but in refrigerated like lockers used in mortuaries and funerary chambers.

That would be hell....

Then biological processes would continue, and the brain would need to be fed, while the body was frozen .. sounds very complicated and even more expensive.

top topics

join