It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taking diet drinks and breastfeeding...???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have a friend who takes this diet drink and thinks it's safe and all that crap because the company says so. Well she breastfeeds and also donates to babies who need breast milk. I find it wrong that she takes such things and breastfeeds. She has always had weight issues for as long as I've known her and she always seems to want the fast and easy way out. Sorry but imo there is no fast and easy way. It's a life style change and it's hard esp if you are use to a certain way of life.

She posts on her FB ALL day about this stuff and honestly it's getting annoying to where I'm about to block her posts. She sounds like a sales person and calls herself an "Ambassador" because that is what the company calls people who sell it. I just want to tell her to get off her butt and change her diet! Exercise or be active. She will talk about eating healthy and then the next post is about what junk she just ate or she mocks people who can cook and eat "organic." Sorry but how can you mock ME when I chose to change my lifestyle for my health?

The stuff she takes I looked up and the ingredients are not as natural as she thinks. Just because the company says it's ok doesn't make it so. If what you eat and drink passes on to your child in breast milk then how is this ok, and how is it ok to donate your milk to others with such a diet? She had told me to use a donation bank when i had breastfeeding issues but I said no way. I don't know what that person puts into their body why would I want to let my child have their milk if they don't take care of themselves?

I have known her for years and she has always been a bigger girl. She had a lot of problems while pregnant and a lot was due to diet. She would make comments about how certain things changed after she lost weight and I would sit here and think, well duh!

IDK I just hate when people blindly believe those weight loss scams. I consider them scams because what happens when you get to your ideal weight and you stop taking that "magic drink" and you don't change your eating habits or lifestyle? The weight comes back!!

I know when I was pregnant and then breastfeeding i was very cautious about what I put in my body because of how it would react in my sons system.

I know it's not my place to say anything but I just wonder why people don't think before they do something on how it affects their kids?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

What goes into your body when pregnant or breastfeeding is what goes into your baby.
Be smart people......damn people are dumb these days.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Most "diet" drinks replace the sugar with chemical sweeteners, not something anyone should be consuming, let alone a pregnant mother!
As for feeding with breast milk from banks....I shudder with the thought! Some babies are born with problems and for those the milk banks give them the chance to live, but to put a healthy baby at risk should imo be considered child abuse!
edit on 27-3-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

DrumsRfun

What goes into your body when pregnant or breastfeeding is what goes into your baby.
Be smart people......damn people are dumb these days.

What kills me is her kids are ALWAYS sick, always. In and out of the hospital. I'm like did you ever think that what you are feeding them through YOU is the problem?! Maybe? Not saying it is but if you are feeding them through you shouldn't you be more careful?

She isn't a bad person but she pushes this crap so much and to see all her friends fall for it too, it just kills me!

I am trying to lose my baby weight but I would NEVER take a diet pill or drink or anything that is a "quick fix" for losing weight. I am active and changed my diet. It is coming off, slowly but it's there!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

I am trying to lose my baby weight

I think that baby weight is there for a reason. If times were hard and food was scarce that baby weight would supply you with what you need to continue making milk for your child.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

VoidHawk

mblahnikluver

I am trying to lose my baby weight

I think that baby weight is there for a reason. If times were hard and food was scarce that baby weight would supply you with what you need to continue making milk for your child.

That's a nice way to look at it but you don't need weight to produce milk. The weight is there because I gained weight from having a baby, not much but I gained it. I don't mind my weight I just want to lose to top heavy and tone up.

If weight was a factor in producing milk I'd be producing no problem but i had problems after about a month and a half and couldn't produce. I envy women who can breastfeed for years or pump 24 oz at a time. I'd be happy if i got that all day!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

mblahnikluver
That's a nice way to look at it but you don't need weight to produce milk.
So long as you eat properly. If you lacked food your body would consider that weight a reserve, and use it to produce milk.
Our bodies are just the same as the way they were when we roamed the plaines as hunter gatherers, and a little weight would ensure mothers could feed there child during times of food shortage. These days most people have a regular supply of food so dont actually need the reserve.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

That's the only way to take it off and expect to keep it off. There is no quick easy weight loss method if you ask me. In fact, the slower you take it off by an actual lifestyle change the more chance it has of being permanent.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Not necessarily so. La leche league encourages a beer a day. Some things dont pass into the breast milk. The OP doesn't say what this diet drink is but most don't contain anything stronger than caffeine as a metabolizer. . Many are full of vitamins. Some things that are very healthy make the milk taste bad to t h e baby. Broccoli can turn a baby off. Loaded with iron and a vitamins low fat but if you breast feed avoid it. Onions too. Garlic which smells strong doesn't affect milk at all.
This person's friend has caloric needs tbat surpass what is recommended for women. If she cuts out sugar she will loose weight naturally just by lactating.
Some of you guys expect women to become saints when pregnant or breastfeeding and god you get so judgemental if you think they are doing something wrong.
Lots of perfectly healthy babies are born each year to women who smoke, women who have a drink or two a day,or don't eat a perfect diet. And sometimes a woman can do everything perfect and not have a healthy baby. So chill a little. If this ladies baby is growing and the milk she sells is not being rejected there's probably no problem. I don't advocate drinking or smoking while pregnant of course I'm just saying most of the time the baby is fine .alcoholics should not get pregnant however unless they can control their drinking because I've seen the affect of fetal alcohol syndrome.
I am 58 years old and nursed three babies one in the seventies when no one was breastfeeding and bottles were the accepted norm. I had to insist that the hospital not give my son a bottle. My youngest was born in 95 and everyone was breastfeeding. I do encourage all moms to give it a try it's good for baby and helps you get back in shape and shrinks the uterus back to its normal size .

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Low carb is fast and easy and you're never hungry or feel deprived. Look at some of Susanne Summers books. Yummy food that is not "diet" at all. I lost 87 lbs on her sumersize program.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by DrumsRfun

This person's friend has caloric needs tbat surpass what is recommended for women. If she cuts out sugar she will loose weight naturally just by lactating.

She doesn't seem to cut sugar out at all. Big soda person.

Some of you guys expect women to become saints when pregnant or breastfeeding and god you get so judgemental if you think they are doing something wrong.

Where did I ever state anything you just said? I was asking about taking a diet drink while breastfeeding and how it would possibly affect the child. I am not being judgmental at all. I friggin breastfed myself and i make my own childs food thank you. I came here to discuss something that kind of bothers me. You don't see all her posts. She contradicts herself with her own diet and thinks some drink is going to magically make her lose weight.

Lots of perfectly healthy babies are born each year to women who smoke, women who have a drink or two a day,or don't eat a perfect diet. And sometimes a woman can do everything perfect and not have a healthy baby. So chill a little. If this ladies baby is growing and the milk she sells is not being rejected there's probably no problem. I don't advocate drinking or smoking while pregnant of course I'm just saying most of the time the baby is fine .alcoholics should not get pregnant however unless they can control their drinking because I've seen the affect of fetal alcohol syndrome.

Where did I say ANYTHING that you just said? I didn't. I am not talking about smoking or drinking. I am talking about a diet drink and MY own questions. It's not a crime to question someone esp when they have certain health problems and then go on about it yet do something that doesn't make sense for their health problems. I am allowed to pose a question or concern esp when she donates milk to other babies. I would NOT want milk from someone who was taking diet drinks or pills or had the diet she does. That is mainly my concern. With her kids do whatever she wants but with other peoples kids no you should be mindful of what you eat when you are feeding anothers child. I would not want her toxic food in my childs body.

I am 58 years old and nursed three babies one in the seventies when no one was breastfeeding and bottles were the accepted norm. I had to insist that the hospital not give my son a bottle. My youngest was born in 95 and everyone was breastfeeding. I do encourage all moms to give it a try it's good for baby and helps you get back in shape and shrinks the uterus back to its normal size .

Not everyone can breastfeed and the whole breastfeeding helps you get back to normal size imo is a crock. Everyone I know has breastfed and they didn't go back to normal size, nor did I.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

No there isn't!

My mom is heavier and she lost weight by walking 3 nights a week and changing her diet. She lost about 70lbs this way. It was also much healthier too.

I have had friends who take diet pills, drinks or shakes and they get sick from them. One friend passed out and had to be hospitalized.

I was always small before i had my son about 110, now I'm 140 and I'd like to lose about 20lbs. It's taking some time but it's healthy. I was in no rush to lose 40lbs of baby weight. It is coming off on it's own the right way.

People want everything NOW and in a pill form or a drink form.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I breastfed all 3 of my kids and when breastfeeding my 2nd (2011) i noticed alot of my friends were on a herbal weightloss drink thing and they even said it produced more milk, but it didn't have half the vitamins & nutrients a nursing mum should be taking in so i didn't even bother i joined the gym instead, and lost my weight like that (then i got pregnant again and put it back on argh! Lol) i dont understand why everyone gets sucked in to these fad's ive been down that road and you just put the weight back on once you stop & you can't stay on them forever, working out & eating properly is the way to go i know how hard it is to find the time i have 3 kids under 6 but it doesnt take much and if its actual baby weight it will come off fairly quickly then its just maintaining it.

Its frustrating seeing someone doing something you disagree with im sure many mums disagree with things i do aswell, but everyone is different we all raise our kids differently id just kindly show her any usefull info that you think she should read and if she still chooses to use the drinks & nurse then you have done all that you can!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Low carb is fast and easy and you're never hungry or feel deprived. Look at some of Susanne Summers books. Yummy food that is not "diet" at all. I lost 87 lbs on her sumersize program.

My friend lost 80kgs (i76lbs roughly) doing low carb!! That was over about 2 years. But that was on Atkins and it bothers me that you cant even have that many good carbs like fruit & veg on them, i love fruit & veg too much! Lol. And chocolate.. Haha! But that one has cool chocolate bars that are low carb and are yum!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Well, the important point is that no matter what type of method you use to lose the weight, it better be a lifestyle change instead of a "diet" because after you lose the weight you will most likely go back to the way you were eating before and gain it all back. I was a seasonal dieter for 20+ years... I would alter my diet, work out and lose the weight in time for the beach, and then over the fall and winter find myself right back where I was for the next spring. It gets very tiring.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

That's exactly right, this is the instant gratification generation! The only way to do this for life is to change your lifestyle. You have to eat healthy for the long run, not try to drop a bunch of pounds as fast as you can all the time waiting to reach your goal so you can go pig out on some pizza. And you have to stay active. I used to work out only as long as it took to get to my target and then I'd stop until next year. Now I work out all year round and run every day. I don't always eat like I should but the meals that I indulge in are the exception, not the rule. My diet has become more healthy all year round as well.

I'm 55 now and my wife is 32. We just had our second child 5 weeks ago tomorrow and I have to stay healthy for them!

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Consuming caffeine as a breast feeding mother is not good. It will disrupt the babies sleeping pattern. Lack of sleep can slow down the rate at which the immune system develops which explains the reason why they are sick a lot.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Anyone drinking the diet drinks and breastfeeding is placing the baby at risk. Those things aren't healthy for adults. NONE of them, as far as I am concerned. The newer ones haven't had enough testing to be sure, and the older ones aren't safe. If she's worried about drinks causing weight gain, she could switch to water, or brew tea and only lightly sweeten it.

I know what you mean about the pushy behavior. Had a friend (emphasis on had) that used to do that all the time, over literally anything she decided was "good". A new diet plan (and she was really THIN), a water purification system that costs far more than a tap filter, a ridiculously overpriced vacuum, a political candidate, anything. She wanted everyone to respect her choices, but she had no respect for others who chose something different.

new topics

top topics

join