It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Appeals Court Upholds New Texas Abortion Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

A panel of judges at the New Orleans-based 5th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned a lower court judge who said the rules violate the U.S. Constitution and served no medical purpose. In its opinion, the appeals court said the law "on its face does not impose an undue burden on the life and health of a woman."

Texas lawmakers last year passed some of the toughest restrictions in the U.S. on when, where and how women may obtain an abortion. The Republican-controlled Legislature required abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital and placed strict limits on doctors prescribing abortion-inducing pills.

These are a controversial set of laws that were passed primarily by Texas Republicans. While I support abortion rights, I don't necessarily see these laws as infringing on the rights of women to have an abortion. What they do accomplish is the closing of several abortion clinics that didn't meet the new tougher medical standards.

Source
edit on 2014/3/27 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Good.

An abortion is an invasive procedure, and you risk your long-term reproductive health and your life. This needs to be treated like any other invasive, out-patient procedure that has those inherent risks.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Yep. Doesn't take away a bit of choice. Might make people plan their lives a little better, take less risk.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

This is such a tough issue. I started on the complete universal availability side of this argument and have gradually come around to the complete universal availability without government subsidy side.

It is an awful thing as I understand it for women and I hesitate to even voice my opinion being a man but, the morning after pill isn't a jolly rancher and as Ketsuko had so accurately understated in another thread, pregnancy is not a disease.

It shouldn't be illegal but it mustn't be a commonplace and thoughtless ill-considered impulse.
edit on 27-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

greencmp

This is such a tough issue. I started on the complete universal availability side of this argument and have gradually come around to the complete universal availability without government subsidy side.

It is an awful thing as I understand it for women and I hesitate to even voice my opinion being a man but, the morning after pill isn't a jolly rancher and as Ketsuko had so accurately understated in another thread, pregnancy is not a disease.

It shouldn't be illegal but it mustn't be a commonplace and thoughtless ill-considered impulse.
edit on 27-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

I used to have trouble voicing my opinion on this. But screw that....i have every right to have an opinion. Not only does it take some of my own genetic input to create that child, if it is carried to term I am expected to finance it legally, and provide love/nurturing/guidance morally.

No, that sword cuts both ways. I have every right to have an opinion.

That said....Uncle Sam has no right really having an opinion.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Cutting the supply won't stop the demand. The fact that clinics are closing right and left, and women, especially poor women, will find it nearly impossible to find safe abortions, won't stop the demand.

Women will still seek abortions at the same rate as before. It's just that they will be going south of border, finding "medication" at swap meets, self treating and going back to tried and true home remedy methods. We'll see more women trying to self abort and bleeding out in the emergency rooms and dying alone from infection and shame.

Make no mistake about it, these laws were never meant to benefit women. They separate the haves from the have nots, as women of means will always be able to find a way to abort. But poor women will be risking their lives for the same outcome. Many of them will die, just like back in the 40's.

Shame on Texas.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Excellent counterpoints. Though I am firmly Pro Life, I respect your opinion and the balance it brings to the debate. Star for your thoughts!!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by windword

Excellent counterpoints. Though I am firmly Pro Life, I respect your opinion and the balance it brings to the debate. Star for your thoughts!!

Well said! Bloody well said. I find your stand refreshing and wish more posters could achieve this balance.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Love the decision. Glad it was upheld. Now the only people who can intervene is SCOTUS. I do not see that happening when the law is only protecting someones health. Although there are pro-abortionists in SCOTUS. We will see.

In the end I'm pro-life. I just want to see the corner abortion stores shut down. If it's done properly I still think you're committing murder. I mean it's like waltz in and buy yourself an abortion today! They should have a street sign.

It's just downright disgusting.

edit on 27-3-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

windword
Cutting the supply won't stop the demand. The fact that clinics are closing right and left, and women, especially poor women, will find it nearly impossible to find safe abortions, won't stop the demand.

Women will still seek abortions at the same rate as before. It's just that they will be going south of border, finding "medication" at swap meets, self treating and going back to tried and true home remedy methods. We'll see more women trying to self abort and bleeding out in the emergency rooms and dying alone from infection and shame.

Make no mistake about it, these laws were never meant to benefit women. They separate the haves from the have nots, as women of means will always be able to find a way to abort. But poor women will be risking their lives for the same outcome. Many of them will die, just like back in the 40's.

Shame on Texas.

This is a GOP passed law. What you recommend is the motive above would only hurt the GOP, as the "have nots" tend to vote democratic, and also tend to procreate at a higher rate.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I never claimed that the GOP was smart. They seem to be disinfranchizing themselves at every turn.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I never claimed that the GOP was smart.

Touche!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

windword

What a horrible reality. In my opinion, a hormonal and irrationally thinking pregnant woman is the last person in the world that should be "choosing" whether someone lives or dies.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

That's the way it's been since time in memorial. Take up your complaints about hormonal women with the man upstairs.

new topics

top topics

join