It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Poverty Myths, Busted

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Work ethic:

I am 45 year old, work 55-58 hours a week on my feet, make $13 / hr and support a family of 4 on my income alone. I am constantly putting one thing off to pay for another, qualify for zero assistance, and have stood by my disabled wife for 7+ years since her accident, even though she does not qualify for or receive any SSI disability.

edit on 27-3-2014 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I call BS on those numbers. They probably include things like health care, which you have to add to the average wage rate.

No one is living it up on welfare. Go look at income apartments and try to shop on what you get in food stamps. Life is hard on welfare.

If anything, it shows that the min wage needs to be increased.

By the way these numbers are from the Koch brothers.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Just curious why handouts to the poor piss you off more than handouts to the rich?

Gee I don't know why.

People cry about corporate welfare all the bloody time on here.

But what they will never admit is social programs ARE CORPORATE welfare.

How the EFF can one be bad, and the other 'good'?

Rob from the rich, and give to the so called poor so they can go out, and buy more stuff.

If you're so pissed off about how many of your tax dollars go to the poor why not make a charitable donation so you can write it off instead?

That does work both ways there.

IF people are so 'pissed' off about the bloody evil rich, Why don't they cut a check to the poor ?

Instead of outsourcing it to someone else using government fascsism.

edit on 27-3-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

If your wife is disabled, she should be able to get social security?

I'm not sure where you live but you certainly couldn't live in a large city with that income.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Why dont people just pay their employees better so we dont have these problems in the first place?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I have a real problem with #1 on that list, I think someone forget to add a zero to that figure. 9%? Really? I'm not some rich scumbag saying this im far more familiar with this list than I would like to be, lol. Most women I know end up pregnant and the guy ends up being spotted by them as often as a bigfoot.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Bundy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by neo96

Why dont people just pay their employees better so we dont have these problems in the first place?

Seriously ?

Why don't employers pay their employees better ?

EMPLOYERS ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES:

Social Security contributions.
Medicare Contributions.
Workmans comp Insurance.
Unemployment Insurance.

Then they deal with asinine TAXATION
Then they deal with asinine REGULATION.

Then they deal with certain people telling them to pay for their health insurance.

And then 'PAY THEM MORE'.

what a GD joke.

IT is obvious why.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

You struck many nerves when I read your post, so I just had to reply to the original post you made in this thread...

Point 1 - Whatever happened to investing in your own future? Single or not has nothing to do with raising a child well, invest in your own future it's flesh and blood after all.

Point 2 - I totally agree with this point, well said.

Point 3 - Again totally agree, race has nothing to do with it, investing in your child is not inclusive or exclusive to races but problems can occur. Married fathers can be 100x worse than "this is my child's father, my boyfriend... Totally irrelevant.

Point 4 - I agree but don't on this, life should be profitable and skills should have an equal demand equally. It's not the failing of a student if he or she has educated them self on a career path that is not viable to live by and again life/work should be profitable and worthwhile. No other way around that without copping out on the short time life has given you.

Point 5 - initiative and responsibility... Not everyone was born to be an city planner and neither was everyone born to be a teacher, education and knowledge is easily accessible this much is true. But HOW much time should be wasted on being what "society wants you to be" be spent? I have seen far too many people being demoralized because they didn't fit the standard or your not born in the right city. If so many are failing at life maybe it's not the people who are failing themselves???

Point 6 - Why in god's name are these things called education... you go to be educated to be educated right? So how are those who have little education supposed to know the education they are learning is absolutely useless? That is not the failing of a student by any means.

Point 7 - I hear this often in the UK too, again I say make life profitable and poverty will not exist in the form it does. Charity is a noble and righteous cause. It should have little to do with pity or guilt but rather necessity.

Point 8 - I totally agree, we are being failed on multiple fronts it seems.

Point 9 - Sad but often true, I blow money like it's playful little bubbles... I earn mine though and I'm educated enough to know better. Some however are not.

Point 10 - 3.7 trillion dollars over five years is pennies compared to the overall treasury the US of A has to play with, Personally I'd say 10% of every fiscal year should be donated to ensuring the betterment of one's nation, primarily it's people and everything left over should be blown on fancy BBQs... That last bit is a joke but then again so is the priority of western ideology of where the money that belongs to the people should be spent.

Anyways, I really enjoyed reading you're thoughts expressed into literature, it got me thinking and that is never a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Stormy, let's not make this issue about male vs female. If you really want to go there, I know many stories of men getting shafted by the system (and I have been through it) simply because they are men. As a man, if you split up with your partner you are pretty much doomed if you have kids and you can't afford a good lawyer. It really doesn't matter how #&*$tty a mother your child has, she will get custody, and you will be on the hook for child support. It does not work the other way around, and men have to fight tooth and nail for their kids (and usually lose). The only hope you have as a man fighting for custody is that your ex is such a train wreck that she signs custody over to you for crack money. That or you have enough money to buy a team of lawyers. It really is that bad. So lets not turn a poverty issue into a battle of the sexes.

Pfft! Like 20-25 years ago, I did star your previous reply & this is NOT a F VS M thing......as my daughters say, THAT was THEN, THIS is NOW! Capiche?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

neo96

onequestion
reply to post by neo96

Seriously ?

Why don't employers pay their employees better ?

EMPLOYERS ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES:

Social Security contributions.
Medicare Contributions.
Workmans comp Insurance.
Unemployment Insurance.

Then they deal with asinine TAXATION
Then they deal with asinine REGULATION.

Then they deal with certain people telling them to pay for their health insurance.

And then 'PAY THEM MORE'.

what a GD joke.

IT is obvious why.

Please sir, can I have some more?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by StormyStars

( You're like spam ) Take it however you want....

Im span I was talking about the 1-5 year relationship period the OP quoted then you decided to change the context to 18 years, and add all the house chores in. No Madam, your the spammer here.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Can you prove this or are you just repeating what rush, fox news, and hannity assert? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its real life dude, where you been living under a rock?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So its not the poor people thats the problem, its the taxes?

What if we cut all the social programs and taxes and the wages dont go up?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

LDragonFire

The truth will not matter to the media induced propaganda machine that wishes to hurt and destroy the poor and underclass.

What side is ATS on?

On the media side. Had several running battles with folks about this subject and the poor here. America is the they can make it on there own country don't ya know.

It boggles my mind some of the arguments about food stamps etc here. Don't mention raising the minimum wage, they will come out of the woodwork to argue with you and flame you. It is terrible how most people think about the poor and down trodden in this country.

The Bot

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by neo96

So its not the poor people thats the problem, its the taxes?

What if we cut all the social programs and taxes and the wages dont go up?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

StormyStars
reply to post by MasterOfTheDamned

All I see here is, nearly 2/3 of all poor mothers are not with their child's father for a minimum of 5 years after the child is born.
Which raises the question as to how many of those 2/3 of absent fathers pay child support. With these numbers I would say society needs to change the way they view having children, you should at least be in a stable relationship first.

Really? Care to state YOUR active position in relationships & work ethics? If in a relationship, who's the proverbial bread winner? Do YOU have children? With whom, 1 or more women? Are YOU paying child/maintenance support? If you were married with children, had a lower paying job despite educational levels, & your wife left you AND your children, or you took your children & walked, what EXACTLY would you expect & from whom?
OR have you not heard of couples together for 5-10 years before having children & divorcing or splitting 10-15 years after children?

I am not in a relationship, I have no children, I CHOOSE not to be in a steady relationship because I am not financially stable enough for any such thing to be viable. If any such thing happened I would expect that I was a moron for having children with a person who would do such a thing. I have heard far too much about such a thing, and every time I do it is said that they didn't get along "anymore". The ones I have seen myself, they never got along and were only in the relationship for the all to common reason of that they enjoy sleeping together and nothing more.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

dlbott

LDragonFire

The truth will not matter to the media induced propaganda machine that wishes to hurt and destroy the poor and underclass.

What side is ATS on?

On the media side. Had several running battles with folks about this subject and the poor here. America is the they can make it on there own country don't ya know.

It boggles my mind some of the arguments about food stamps etc here. Don't mention raising the minimum wage, they will come out of the woodwork to argue with you and flame you. It is terrible how most people think about the poor and down trodden in this country.

The Bot

thats why our modern man will fail miserably....people do not care about their fellow man they just spout hate and intolerance....the have's will bash the have nots and vice a versa because our species is sick and greed is at the top of the reasons why

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

dlbott

LDragonFire

What side is ATS on?

The Bot

thats why our modern man will fail miserably....people do not care about their fellow man they just spout hate and intolerance....the have's will bash the have nots and vice a versa because our species is sick and greed is at the top of the reasons why

Very true. Both classes view each other as parasites.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Um corporations have been earning record profits for years. They can afford to pay more but that doesn't look good to the investors that want that extra dollar on there dividend check.

Oh the poor rich people how we all should feel sorry for them by bashing the poor.

edit on 27-3-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

StormyStars

Stormy, let's not make this issue about male vs female. If you really want to go there, I know many stories of men getting shafted by the system (and I have been through it) simply because they are men. As a man, if you split up with your partner you are pretty much doomed if you have kids and you can't afford a good lawyer. It really doesn't matter how #&*$tty a mother your child has, she will get custody, and you will be on the hook for child support. It does not work the other way around, and men have to fight tooth and nail for their kids (and usually lose). The only hope you have as a man fighting for custody is that your ex is such a train wreck that she signs custody over to you for crack money. That or you have enough money to buy a team of lawyers. It really is that bad. So lets not turn a poverty issue into a battle of the sexes.

Pfft! Like 20-25 years ago, I did star your previous reply & this is NOT a F VS M thing......as my daughters say, THAT was THEN, THIS is NOW! Capiche?

Actually it's still that way now. I have seen it several times in the last 10 years, and you are making this an F VS M thing with every post i've read from you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join