It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big 6 Energy companies competition inquiry - now were at risk of blackouts! WTF

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

A report by regulator Ofgem has called for an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) which could take 18 months.

Centrica boss Sam Laidlaw said it would cause delays to investment and "an increasing risk" of blackouts.

Source

The big six - SSE, Scottish Power, Centrica, RWE Npower, E.On and EDF Energy - account for about 95% of the UK's energy supply market.

ok, this is absolutely absurd! these 'Big 6' are basically saying "Let us charge what we want or we will cause blackouts" i mean...... wow,

lets have a quick maths lesson...

in 1981 (when i was born)

In 1980
a TV costed £77.28 a year ($128.36) to run
a 60 Watt Bulb cost £27 a year ($44) to light
a Refrigerator costs £53 a year ($89) to run
To wash and dry clothes would have costed £306 a year ($508) run

Today
A Plasma TV costs £27 a year ($45) to run
A 60 watt light bulb costs £15 a year ($26) to light
A Refrigerator costs £29 a year ($42) to run
To wash and dry your clothing costs is £180 a year ($300) to run

So taking the average cost for 1 KW today is £1.80 ($2.99) compared to the cost of a KW in 1980 of £3.48 ($5.78) so today it is %51 cheaper

yet the average electricity bill a month in 1980 was £48 ($79.73) today the same bill with inflation would cost £205 a month ($340) that's %427 more!

so how is that then??? the items use half the electricity yet cost 4X as much!!!

now i know inflation has alot to ask for, but today electricity is cheaper to make, as we have more options, Fossil fuel (coal, oil, natural gas) nuclear, hydroelectric, wind, solar and geothermal, compared to 30(odd) years ago. We have programmes on washing machines, Dishwashers etc to come on at night when its cheaper.............

so why can these major 6 companies hold us to ransom? carry on paying or we'll turn off the lights attitude.

anyone will think these big companies run the world

sources www.eia.gov... www.forbes.com... www.theguardian.com...

edit on 27/3/14 by Phatdamage because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/3/14 by Phatdamage because: cant spell

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I remember an article or where somebody stated that the UK power companies were going to get price rises and more profits by faking rolling blackouts saying there is too much demand and thus prices have to go up.

I go out of my way to buy lower power devices. In fact a lot of my computer gear runs at lower power than a plasma TV or indeed most big TVs.

In fact the biggest thing you can ever do, is turn off your TV's. Saves a good chuck of power.

I bet many have many TVs on in many rooms.

Stream it online on a lower power Screen
Easy, no fat power goblling TV/Radio Freeview Tuner in there.

Want to heat a room, clay flower pots and small candles in a metal tray.

Learn your room layouts, walk around in the dark, I do it often, then again I do astronomy so I am used to it
Carry a torch, one red led one white led.

edit on 27-3-2014 by kathat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

Also, most of our big industry consumers of electricity no longer exist! That means there ought to be a huge surplus of electricity.

Its all a scam, and those involved should be hanging from the gallows, especialy when we have old people FREEZING TO DEATH because they cant afford to heat their homes!

In the uk there is now a saying amongs the poor "EAT OR HEAT"

Lest build the gallows!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kathat

i agree, most of my house is set to run cheaply, dishwasher and washing machine come on after midnight, everything is unplugged when i go to bed or out,
also found out to charge your Iphone for a year costs £6 ($10) technology costs less....

it annoyed me when i read that this from 2013:

Big Six’ UK energy groups’ annual profits soar to £3.7bn

Source

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Critical services should be nationlised, energy, communication, transport et al. At least on the major backbones.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

VoidHawk
Lest build the gallows!

agree'd bet the ones in power would make us build them!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Phatdamage

VoidHawk
Lest build the gallows!

If a large crowd started buildin gallows outside their head office, I am sure that would get a message across

Also carry burning torchs and pitchforks chanting for greater effect.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kathat

didn't work for Ukraine!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

kathat

Phatdamage

VoidHawk
Lest build the gallows!

If a large crowd started buildin gallows outside their head office, I am sure that would get a message across

Also carry burning torchs and pitchforks chanting for greater effect.

And thats why we have so much tech being used to minotor the people, they are scared stupid that we might actually do it.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Phatdamage
reply to post by kathat

didn't work for Ukraine!

Depends on whom you ask.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree with all of you that costs are out of control. Soon it'll be the elites who can use electricity and gas while we are left for dead eating scraps. I mean have you seen the standing charges so basically you pay for the supply and the equipment makes no sense. Same with telephone line rental haha give me a break so we pay for the calls and also get hit by £14.50 a month for line rental. They upgrade their tech then charge that to us who are paying their salaries.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Europe is all connected on a power grid, perhaps if you could dump your supplier and just buy from somebody else, try buying from the republic of ireland suppliers.

If they say you cannot do that and prevent you, file a complaint in the EU courts because companies can buy from any supplier around Europe usually.

I believe also the republic of ireland also sell to customers in the north which is in the UK, so I don't see why you cannot buy from there or somewhere else. Energy is all the same, just a matter of who you pay the bill to. Kind of like virtual internet service providers and virtual mobile operators.

Also, call suppliers up and negociate a fixed energy rate price for a set time, a lot do that to get new customers signed. Generally electricity goes up anyway.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Sk8ergrl
I agree with all of you that costs are out of control. Soon it'll be the elites who can use electricity and gas while we are left for dead eating scraps. I mean have you seen the standing charges so basically you pay for the supply and the equipment makes no sense. Same with telephone line rental haha give me a break so we pay for the calls and also get hit by £14.50 a month for line rental. They upgrade their tech then charge that to us who are paying their salaries.

your right about the supply, for instance if you walk into a shop and buy an xbox one game it costs £48, yet if you buy it direct from xbox of the dashboard it costs £52!!

so no case, no book, no shop staff to pay or transport costs yet it costs %8 more....... for less!!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I remember when everyone, well almost everyone, bought into the privatisation scam - basically people were conned into buying what they already owned, they made a quick couple of quid and eventually the majority of utility companies became privately owned.

Since then the largest electricity suppliers have conspired to effectively operate a monopoly, obscenely over charge people and under invest in the industry all whilst recording record profits for their shareholders and syphoning money out of the UK.

Personally I'd nationalise all utilities and most of the other businesses that were sold off on the cheap.

Yet another case of people today paying the price for Thatcher and her follies.

Where did all the money that was raised go to, did any of it get re-invested in this country and its people?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kathat

Of course , did you think when they sold most of our energy suppliers off to foreign buyers this would not happen ? Did the UK think that 23 out of 29 ministers are millionaires and will probably be heavily investing in these highly lucrative businesses ? It's only a matter of time before the black outs start , the big 6 have been colluding with each other for some time now and will hold the UK to ransom . The writing has been on the wall for a long time , some of these companies have been prosecuted for millions. SSE was fined £10 mil for lying to it's customers , who do you think will pay that , the very same customers lol

It's a joke that isn't funny , this coalition is going to do nothing . Dave Moron and his cronies didn't win the last election and yet they have cart blanch . They proved their worth and who they were supporting at the last budget , it wasn't the poor that's for sure . Food banks , who ever heard of food banks 7 tears ago ? Atos , now there's a good old English company , sorry what's that you say ? I got it wrong , it's what ? A French company , and who ? EDF , surely not EDF as well . Tighten you belts , the big 6 will increase their prices year on year and will be supported by the pigs from Whitehall from every political party. The UK masses are going to be energy screwed, I hope you're prepared .

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's subtle threats by these companies, mess with our profits and we'll turn the lights out.
The sooner gas and electricity are nationalised, the sooner we can stop these parasites.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

That is absurd and down right greed. The main reason why they switched everything to digital is to charge people for services I mean look at xbox live, you need gold membership to access sky even though your a sky subscriber so your paying more fees for the same service your already paying for.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

more for less, seems to be the way this country is going. at this rate in 30 years time your bill will be %400 higher, what are we leaving for our kids????

don't know if someone out there wants to do a calculation for fuel.. my brain hurts form all the numbers

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It wouldn't be the first time that an energy company went ahead and used blackouts as a threat to make a buck. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned Enron and the California Rolling Blackouts. The problem with diminished competition is that it allows for inordinate control over certain sectors of a market where, if they don't like the way things are going or want to make more, they can literally cripple an area. It's really kind of like being held hostage for the sake of profit.

www.nytimes.com...
articles.latimes.com...

edit on 27/3/14 by WhiteAlice because: I am my own grammar nazi.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

good video, haven't seen it before, don't know how much more the people will take, not only here in the UK but the world.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join