It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont want to work again... EVER!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
When my marriage ended, I went from being a casual employee to having to work full time. My standard of living changed dramatically. I say I worked full time but really, I've always had 2 jobs, both either part time or one part time, one casual. At first, the change in my standard of living was hard but really, I have a nice little 60 year old house that I've fixed up myself and I have everything that I really need, and my needs are quite simple. I have 26 inch tv flat screen in my living room and 2, 15 year old tvs in other parts of the house. My kids don't have smart phones, and they both have part time jobs for their own spending money and to put away some money for University.Because I have part time or casual jobs, that means I can adjust my work schedule any time I want. If I'm saving up for something big, I can work long, hard stretches. If I want to kick back and relax a little, I accept fewer shifts. It's a nice balance for me. Depending on what profession you're in, this might be an option if you want more down time. One of my jobs gives me benefits so that's taken care of. I don't use credit cards, except for emergencies. If I can't pay cash for something, I don't buy it until I can.
Okay, this isn't early retirement but it at least I'm not tied to working every day, I know I can take time off whenever I need to, I just have to plan for it and manage my money and budget carefully.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Buy a block of land, a tent and work on the land each day to grow and harvest your own food. Charity starts at home.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I got laid off my job 8 months ago, although I'm out of paper and low on food, I've never been as stress free as I am today. I spend my time making music, and learning things I wouldn't have the time for otherwise. I think we should start communities where each person is responsible for a specific task related to the survival of the whole. I would have no problem working if the outcome is betterment of humanity. I can't be part of a system that goes against our long term survival.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

OtherSideOfTheCoin
I have been working now for years, since I left school really I have never been out of work or education for any significant length of time, recently I actually changed jobs and I love my new job. The other day though I became very jealous, one of the girls I work with had her last ever day of work, she was heading off to retirement.

It dawned on me that I still have at least 20 years before I will be able to go into work one day and leave knowing I will never have to “work” another day in my life.

This pissed me off.

I really got thinking about it and I have decided, I don’t want to work anymore, it’s not a laziness thing, its not because i “hate my job”, its quite simply because I hate the idea of having to work these 40+ hour weeks for the rest of my life. I think the ages of 20-60 are a individuals most productive, so it sucks that by the time it comes to my retirement I will have worked for even more than those 40 years, I will basically have wasted that time selling it in exchange for money and a huge chunk of that money will go to paying for my taxes and retirement which won’t actually come along for at least another 20 years. In short I am basically spending my best years “working for the man”, just so the man can t take a huge chunk of it away to pay taxes and another big chunk so that while I am withering away he doesn’t need to worry about me. Really by working I am just a slave to money and those who have the biggest pile of it

It totally sucks.

Like I say, I do enjoy my job, but I would much rather spend these years of work, "my best years", doing charity work, spending time with my family, studding something I really want to study and just kicking back and reading a good book on a tropical beach somewhere.

Surly this is the dream that most of us must have, to never work again but still be productive just not in terms of money but rather in terms of bettering ourselves and those around us.

The only barrier is those horrible little bits of paper that I have to go to work for just so I can eat at the end of the day. I feel like I am in a prison of work and money that I will only get kicked out of once “the man” deems that my time is no longer worth anything. The idea of getting a “job” so you can sell your time and skills to someone else for a tiny portion of their huge pile of cash (most of which you have to give “them” back in some way) forces us all into this social prison that I think prevents us all form achieving true full self actualisation. It prevents us from becoming the very best we can be or being who we truly want to be, who we fantasised about being as kids because we have all been crammed into this big cage of time for cash.

So now I want to quit my job, that’s the only way out of this prison, they don’t get my time, i don’t get their cash but i do get my freedom.

I never want to work again

I just haven’t figured out how I would survive and enjoy my life without becoming homeless when i am no longer a slave to “them”.

So if any of you have any advice about getting over this barrier I would love to hear it.

edit on 27-3-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2014 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

this is my dream too man.
the only idea I have is the restructuring of society to support a shorter work day/week

its as close as i can get.

if I could just get $600 a month from internet business I could live in japan forever!

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

MrMaybeNot
I got laid off my job 8 months ago, although I'm out of paper and low on food, I've never been as stress free as I am today. I spend my time making music, and learning things I wouldn't have the time for otherwise. I think we should start communities where each person is responsible for a specific task related to the survival of the whole. I would have no problem working if the outcome is betterment of humanity. I can't be part of a system that goes against our long term survival.

direct democratic republic

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I've read through all the comments.

And I think I've got a solution to your dilemma.

It's not ideal, not really what you want, but it's a kind of happy compromise, and probably the most sensible and doable suggestion of all.

You're in the same profession as me and, like me, you want to retire (I've still got another 13 years left), or else you want a lot more free time.

Try this:

1 Pack your nursing job in (but don't sign off the register and carry on paying the annual retention fee, just in case you need to nurse again at some point in the future).

2 Start looking round for work as a care assistant - though obviously not at the same place you're at now.

Think about it.

You already know how to do the job having been a nurse.

It's one of the few jobs that's very easy to get. For anyone.

Okay, it's a big drop in your hourly rate (£5 or £6) but it's still better than JSA and there's a lot less stress and responsibility than for a nurse.

But the best perk of all is the hours, because any time you fancy some time off work - you just throw a sickie.

The carers at my place (I'm sure it's the same for you) throw sickies all the time; it doesn't even register with the manager.

There's no Spanish Inquisition when they return to work, whereas if you or I were to phone in sick, there'd be a public enquiry.

It works best if you've got a sprog; no one at work would have the temerity to question if little Johnny is in hospital yet again with a mystery virus.

Whammo, two, three weeks, a month off work.

If the funds are a bit low, join an agency as a nurse and do the odd weekend night shift.

Just a suggestion.

I'm considering it.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
You have every right to be pissed off!

Start expanding your awareness. There a lot of youth in our country who feel the same way and are beginning to find alternatives to this slavery. All you need is food and shelter, learn self sustainability & permaculture and begin taking small steps in this direction. Remove all ties to the current system and do not create new ones, dont support it in anyway and spread awareness to others. Find a community with similar interests and band together, if you cant find one, create one. Create the plat form for this to occur, you may need to do a lot of research. We need doers!
Every-time you create or spread awareness you help another gain inspiration. And one day, we will have that alternative.

www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Well Then,

Just Marry some Rich Idiot

and stroll on down to the Political "Party".

www.youtube.com...
edit on 28-3-2014 by Wildmanimal because: add link

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I resigned my Job about 2 years ago, I was lucky enough to have got myself to a mortgage free situation. I sold my house and moved to a rural area that was much cheaper to buy into. I now grow my own food, live as cheaply and as simply as I possibly can, have solar power and spend my days working for myself and others in the community. I hated school, I hated work, we are programmed to be a specific way in this society and if we are not people scorn us. People can call me lazy, but I work harder than most in full time jobs, the thing is I don't get nearly as tired as I used to because I enjoy what I do and I am not governed by anyone. I used to think people like me were lazy good for nothing folk (this was what I was told by family and society). However all I can say is that people who shun this corporate, competitive and aggressive society are more advanced than the fools (like myself) who buy into it.

Make your own freedom, live your life how you want to, not how you are told. Anyone who thinks they have exclusive rights on how to do that are arrogant and egotistical. My old friends would assume people on welfare were lazy, but surely if you live in a democracy and a free country you have the right not to work if you don't want to? There is no freedom, we are slaves until we walk away.

Congratulations for seeing the truth, now go do something about it

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   

schuyler
I have no problem at all with your attitude as long as you pay for yourself. Nobody owes you a free ride. What really pisses ME off is people who are "on disability" (and then they snicker) or are able-bodied but get on some sort of "assistance" program paid by me. But if you can perfect the 4 hour work week instead of the 40, my blessings to you.

By your own reasoning and judgement so if tomorrow you met with an accident that left you long term disabled what would you do?

Would you sit there high and mighty starving yourself and being homeless and too proud to accept welfare? I doubt it very much.

Don't judge others until you walked a few steps in their moccasins, is that not a wise Native American maxim?

Anyhow, it's not your money. It does not belong to you. It has the Fed's mark on it! Like Jesus said give to Cesar what is Cesar's and to G-D what is G-D'.s

Hey meet me...Mr Successful! I've pulled it off in my own way and have all the hours of the day and enough money to do stuff. It's so bloody boring, isolating and lonely. As Rickymouse said you lose track of mainstream life. Give me a career I can enjoy any time over this. If you have a job that pays enough, that you can handle getting up every morning for and it does not make you miserable to do so, then you have cracked it and can build on that situation.

A life of no or little work gets really tedious and you end up dreaming about careers. It's a vicious circle and I think most people at least subconsciously know this and spend their adult lives working.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I have all major expenses paid off in life. I work part time by choice oh its awesome.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

What's holding you?

The belief "you have to work"? Rise above the conditioning of our culture, and do now, right now, at this moment, what excites you the most. You don't need to have a home. You don't need to work 40+ hours a week for the rest of your good years. There's nothing else to do, life happens now and the future will never come, only this moment will get there. So what's the difference? There's no pension waiting in 20 years for now, we are not meant to hold our lives from early 20's until we reach 65. Even if you get a medal by that time, it sure doesn't worth it. It's not an accomplishment, to reach old age at all cost. Living a secured struggle free life is not the purpose, we miss life by seeking a comfortable risk-free living, but the risk is high, and the price is invaluable ... You give away your life, spending 40+ a week with the purpose of maintaining that comfort, believing you need all that you currently have.

Life is waiting for you to make the jump, to decide to act out of fear or out of excitement. What is it that you choose? Are you going to make an excuse or are you going to find a way to make it work? Choice is yours, and you are always choosing.

edit on 28-3-2014 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

You are born, you will give 90% of your life to work. Then die all wrinkly with a bad back, sore joints. Cronic pain and not a dime to your name.

And to top it off your spirit will be so messed up from this experience it will never want to come back to earth again.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Darkblade71
I guess I am one of the few who want to work.

Without work, I tend to go stir crazy and think way to much for my own good...lol

BINGO!!! There you have your answer. If you don't work to death, you'd start thinking and thinking as a process brings along more things. And that gets unpleasant for the puppet masters. They don't want you to think.Enough said...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Give me a career I can enjoy any time over this.

What work did you do before you retired? Maybe you can still do that.

If you still want to work then why aren't you doing so?

The beauty of retirement is not that you don't work any more but that you don't have to.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I enjoy my job. I'll probably die while I'm working. I don't plan on retiring. To do what?

Fish?
I do that now.
Read?
I do that now.
Travel?
I do that now.
Spend time with the family?
I do that now.

"People who refuse to rest honorably on their laurels when they reach retirement age seem very admirable to me."
-Helen Hayes

"Age is only a number, a cipher for the records. A man can't retire his experience. He must use it."
-Bernard Baruch

"Retirement at sixty-five is ridiculous. When I was sixty-five I still had pimples."
-George Burns

"Retirement kills more people than hard work ever did."
-Malcolm Forbes

"To retire is to die."
-Pablo Casals

"Choose a work that you love and you won't have to work another day."
-Confucius

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Become a musician dude. We hate work! haha But we get by alright

You work your own hours
You can drink on the job
There are no drug tests
You have many people working below you(roadies, groupies, stage hands, etc)
You can sleep in almost every day(except for when you have to go to court)
You get to eat good(if you force your venues to accommodate, and if you're a good band accommodate they will! KING CRAB LEGS WOO! WOO!)
If you don't have a vehicle then catch a ride with your guitar tech(assuming you're a guitarist)
Stay away from the singer; they all have '___'(lead-singers-disease), however, they always seem willing to lend you 20 bucks here and there if you can stomach talking to them. Wait until they are buzzing before you ask; That way, you can tell them that you already paid them back. They're like drummers; stupid and will believe anything.
If you have some big bills coming up, you can just gig more. You will also eat more, drink more, more excess!!! yay!

The best thing is; You don't even have to have any talent to be in the music biz. Hell, Bob Dylan made a good career in music. If he can do it then anyone can.(zips up flame suit)

edit on 28-3-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Work for yourself. Start a business from your home/kitchen. Huge companies started as simple ideas.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Life sucks then you die. The daily grind can be extremely tiresome.
It can also peck away at your mind if you think about it too much.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

WeRpeons

I have 4 years left before I can retire. Yippie!!! The only problem is, I don't have the energy like I used to have in my younger years. If I had the chance to do things over, I would have invested a good portion of my paychecks into investments.

Lol ....

I did just that 'Bank' shares ...

After all banks are safe, aren't they??? They cant fail? .... Can they?

They did fail ... the taxpayer (which included me) bailed them out, And the

'shareholders' (including me) got 'NOTHING'

And the Bankers still got their bloated bonus's

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join