It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark launch F-16 jets to patrol Baltic airspace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I been seeing people in the forums saying that NATO is not doing anything, but that is horse dong.. It´s like a ants nest over here in Europe, and NATO is sending a clear message to Putin. We are ready and this will end now or there will be retaliation.

jyllands-posten.dk...

Several countries feared Russian attack. Denmark sends fighter , confirms minister.
Danish fighter must soon patrol the airspace over the Baltic States after fears of a possible attack from Russia.

It confirms the Danish government now officially after a meeting of the Foreign Policy Committee at Christiansborg Thursday.

"This is an attempt to send a clear signal to the Baltic countries - which is our good friends and are also small countries like ourselves - that we are in solidarity . They are nervous , and they have asked NATO to intensify surveillance , and we want to help , "said Foreign Minister Lidegaard (R).

Behind the decision facing an almost united parliament - only Unity believes that Danish participation in the mission can ' go wrong '.

ALSO READ FACTS: F -16s to be on patrol over the Baltic States

Six fighter

Officially, Denmark send up to six fighter aircraft for the mission led by NATO. Four aircraft is expected to be active , while two additional aircraft will be on standby . The final number depends on NATO.

The Danish aircraft is expected to be ready around 1 May

It is far from the first time that Denmark is sending warplanes to the Baltic countries , at least four times previously Danish F-16 fighter aircraft made ​​known air defense readiness of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Russia invading Denmark next. Yeah, there is nothing in Denmark to care about.

Danes want their spotlight in the fear mongering too. Considering the head of Nato is a Dane.

They are also replacing those planes with better ones. So they have to wear them out I suppose before scrapping or selling them.

edit on 27-3-2014 by kathat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

kathat

They are also replacing those planes with better ones. So they have to wear them out I suppose before scrapping or selling them.

I don't think you got the message, I hope Putin does

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

kathat

But there is something to care about in Baltic States. Russia is a country to be suspicious of, especially considering the history.

I´m glad at least something is done.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Cabin

kathat

But there is something to care about in Baltic States. Russia is a country to be suspicious of, especially considering the history.

I´m glad at least something is done.

Considering they are both EU and NATO member states, it is VERY VERY unlikely Russia is going to attack them.

Again this is just NATO flapping its wings to ensure legitimacy in their existence. Legitimasing their Expansion Eastwards has to be convayed to non-NATO states that they should JOIN nato. That is all this is. Advertisement to get members to NATO.

All this is, is just a waste of tax payers money and aviation fuel.

A lot of people seem to have lost grip of reality and common sense on here.

Some kids get to fly about pretending to be Top Gun, well, I would too if it wasn't my money I was spending

Never let a good crisis go to waste they say. This is the ultimate in Viral marketing.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
it must be drone central over there on the border of Russia and the other countries. CIA...NSA...nato generals, European generals, etc. they all must are getting turgid with thoughts of Rambo-esque combat scenarios

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

jimmyx
it must be drone central over there on the border of Russia and the other countries. CIA...NSA...nato generals, European generals, etc. they all must are getting turgid with thoughts of Rambo-esque combat scenarios

I should make a RC plane in the shape of Obama's arse and fly that around.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kathat

1) These countries are also quite separated (having distance) with strongest allies. These countries have small population, small armies. Everything depends how fast NATO is able to send out military as large as Russia has. If Russia managed to occupy any of these nations before NATO arms arrive... Also it would create a very bad choice for US:

Any Russian coercive moves against the Baltic republics would create an ugly choice for Washington between a bad outcome and worse one. The bad outcome would be to back down in the face of a Crimea-style action against a NATO member. That would be a humiliation for the United States and raise serious doubts about Washington’s other security commitments. A worse outcome, though, would be to try to fulfill the article 5 pledge and risk a catastrophic war against a nuclear-armed adversary over meager geopolitical stakes.

www.thedailybeast.com...

Would Americans want to start (a possible nuclear) war against Russia just to save 3 small states in North-Eastern Europe, even though the 5th article would require it if anything happened? Putin has gambled a lot recently and gotten away with it so far. That might be another one of his bets, although the riskiest one.

2) Also somewhat of a coup can not be totally ruled out, "protection of Russian-speaking citizens". Extreme propaganda and brainwashing done by the Russian channels in addition to rigging some election can bring the wanted results. Although, no one in these areas wants Russia back, the Soviet Times were hard enough.

3) Russia has claimed they want their historical areas back, never defining the exact areas. Baltic Nations are in the Russian interests hemisphere. Although these countries, have never legally been part of Russia. Russia just invaded these small nations, never caring whether these nations want Russia or not. They never have wanted to be part of the Russian empire, they are too different, yet Russia just took them.

Due to painful history with Russia and Russian recent aggressions, there is a reason these nations want the protection to strengthen, to be ready. Just in case. No one knows what Putin might do next and better safe than sorry.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

kathat

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are sympathetic to Putin's Russia and the neo-soviets.

From the perspective of Denmark, I can imagine there are plenty of things to care about.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

kathat

Except for the fact that no ship can leave the Baltic without passing through narrow straights of Danish controlled water.

If it interests you, go ahead and read Chapter 4 of the book: "War Plans and Alliances in the Cold War: The Warsaw Pact's Special Target, Planning the seizure of Denmark."

books.google.com...
edit on 03America/Chicago31pm2014-03-27T12:21:43-05:00201403America/Chicago31 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

kathat

Someone is about to make a $*it load of money with weaponry and aircraft sales. Fearful situations are the merchant's golden occasions. Does anyone know who is the major weapons producer and seller? (rhetorical question of course. we all know who that is)

edit on 27-3-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

They've already bought the new weapons. They're waiting on delivery of F-35s in the next 5 or 6 years. I think their first two are already delivered, and are in the testing program at Eglin AFB. As for new missiles, they're putting their own missiles, as well as some bought from the UK on their aircraft.

(Let me guess, the US is involved in THAT too, right?)
edit on 3/27/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is a part of the NATOs Baltic Air Policing. Since Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania do not yet have airforces NATO members send fighters to defend that airspace since 2004. Normally it is only 4 but, with Russia being nutty they have increased that number as of late. Last year it was this force that was called in to chase off the Russian bombers doing a simulated bombing run on Stockholm because the Swedes were unprepared. The same sort of force operates in Iceland for the last few years since Russia started sending bombers in their direction.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

MrSpad
This is a part of the NATOs Baltic Air Policing. Since Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania do not yet have airforces NATO members send fighters to defend that airspace since 2004. Normally it is only 4 but, with Russia being nutty they have increased that number as of late. Last year it was this force that was called in to chase off the Russian bombers doing a simulated bombing run on Stockholm because the Swedes were unprepared. The same sort of force operates in Iceland for the last few years since Russia started sending bombers in their direction.

let's just hope nobody gets trigger happy up there...
what's the likely outcome if a (hypothetical) radar glitch identifies a Russian jet as being on the wrong side of the border (or a NATO one on the Russian side)?
I haven't seen the world this jittery since before the USSR disintegrated.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Elysarian

Barring an actual attack on either a ground target or the interceptors themselves any incoming aircraft will be visually identified first.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Elysarian

MrSpad

let's just hope nobody gets trigger happy up there...
what's the likely outcome if a (hypothetical) radar glitch identifies a Russian jet as being on the wrong side of the border (or a NATO one on the Russian side)?
I haven't seen the world this jittery since before the USSR disintegrated.

They have been doing this in the baltics since 2004 and as with the case of the Russian bomber run on Stockholm they are used to dealing with the Russians. Both sides have protocals that they follow. They do not just shoot each other down they give plenty of warning etc. In fact if you count the Cold War the West and Russia have been playing these games in the air for 60 years with nobody ever crossing the line. Neither side has an interest in war with each other, and the Russians have plenty of non NATO targets to mess with already.

However, Russia has also conducted military exercises near the Swedish island of Gotland, resulting in the Swedes deploying a couple of fighters. And also they have made the Fins worried do to exercises in the Karelian Isthmus leading to Finalnd deploying more fighters to the area. As Sweden and Finland are not in NATO, and thus not covered under its attack on one is an attack on all clause, the Russians may be less careful because they have nothing to fear.
edit on 27-3-2014 by MrSpad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

greencmp

kathat

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are sympathetic to Putin's Russia and the neo-soviets.

From the perspective of Denmark, I can imagine there are plenty of things to care about.

Judging by your join date, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that you are sympathetic to Putin's Russia and the neo-soviets.

fixed that sentence.

top topics

join