It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gunshot victims to be suspended between life and death.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I came across this on reddit.

And thought i would share it here on ATS for those of you who do not use reddit.

www.newscientist.com...|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL|online-news# .UzROO73n_fp

Text We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," says Samuel Tisherman, a surgeon at the hospital, who is leading the trial. "So we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

Text The technique involves replacing all of a patient's blood with a cold saline solution, which rapidly cools the body and stops almost all cellular activity.

Every day at work I declare people dead. They have no signs of life, no heartbeat, no brain activity. I sign a piece of paper knowing in my heart that they are not actually dead. I could, right then and there, suspend them. But I have to put them in a body bag. It's frustrating to know there's a solution."

It will be interesting to see the outcome .
Ill surly be keeping an eye on this experiment .

Humbly

LSH
edit on 029111131329311th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 031111131331311th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 040111131340311th by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see if these people survive, would they have a near death Experience..?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
And hopefully, it will be useful for people who also suffer life threatening injuries OTHER than gunshot and stabbing...

Also funny how everything from science-fiction gets to get another name than what it is known by, except lasers, which don't look like sci-fi lasers... lol

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

NowanKenubi
And hopefully, it will be useful for people who also suffer life threatening injuries OTHER than gunshot and stabbing...

Also funny how everything from science-fiction gets to get another name than what it is known by, except lasers, which don't look like sci-fi lasers... lol

Indeed! , maybe this will lead to long term suspension!

It's strange how we evolve into our past scifi
Creations..

Maybe the creators of scifi really were receiving future revelations ;-)

Thanks for the reply
LSH

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I can imagine in 100's of years they might be talking about suspended animation for months or years or - dare I say - indefinitely?

Who knows. Maybe parts of our brain in the future will be synthetic....

Often I think about these things and realize I won't live to see what they'll become in the far future. For me, advances in technology are always exciting. Of course, there're unseen consequences to these technological developments that can be much less friendly and/or exciting. I know I share this interest in technology with many who have come before and who have died. Ultimately, what this is about is controlling our environment, so we can live proactively and not forever be at the mercy of nature. If not for science, many people alive today would be dead, long ago, many before they even reached the age of 5. Of course, science can turn bad, and so we should always work to keep our humanity.

The hope is people or creatures dying today will one day get a second chance to live again. And instead of a bleak future, it's a brighter one.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks we're just meat and bones. I don't believe we can exist without some supernatural elements or beliefs. I do not advocate we throw away everything we're in favor of becoming robots or members of a hive mind. Sometimes I think this life is part of something we cannot yet understand. I do not believe in God or an after-life, but I cannot rule out their existence. Sometimes, I wish there was a God or an after-life because I despair. Despair? Well, I feel sad about conditions we live in and are forced to undergo.
edit on 27-3-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The whole trick to suspended animation is getting control of the mitochondria. They tend to do quirky things on the way down and up, resulting in lethal cellular damage and apoptosis. That's why you get reperfusion damage.

A current approach is to use hydrogen sulfide to shut the mitochondria off. Cooling (like the OP) can also do the trick, but it's harder to control. A nice signaling protein would be better, if one exists.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Very interesting...

Wonder about NDExperience impacts?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Wow ,thanks for the wonderful posts guys.

It kind of brings about a hope of longevity.

However i fear i won't live long enough to see it . . .

But that's life ,we have to live and die so others may get a chance to see this beautiful world

LSH

top topics

join