It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alarm on Hill over Russian troop buildup, as NATO general briefs lawmakers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This does not sound good. NATO is sounding the alarm. Could be we will see war break out sooner than later. So I guess the troop buildup is getting larger than the allowed number of troops on a border. Who DIDN'T see this coming?

Source

The commander of NATO forces in Europe sounded the alarm on Capitol Hill Thursday about Vladimir Putin's military buildup along the border of eastern Ukraine, as some lawmakers raised concerns about whether the U.S. and its allies are doing enough to counter Russia's aggression.

Gen. Philip Breedlove, NATO's supreme allied commander for Europe, gave a classified briefing Thursday morning to members of the House Armed Services Committee. He plans to give several briefings, including on the Senate side.

"We're all concerned about what Russia is doing on the border of Ukraine," he said after the first briefing. "The size of the forces have a message that are not congruous with respecting the borders."

The ominous warning comes as lawmakers voice similar concerns, amid reports that Russia's troop buildup is growing.

edit on 3/27/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I am betting we will also see this followed up with another Obama wrist slap. Hard to believe that he just said the other day that he was not that worried about Russia....it appears he should be. If NATO is holding briefings on this then it has obviously escalated to the point of serious concern. I do wonder what, if anything, the US will do at this point. If there are that many forces at the ready and already in place, how can anyone possibly respond in time to stop anything?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Honestly, the West deserves what it is about to receive.

If any of the NATO members had an lower intestinal fortitude, we would have been all over Russia the first day.

Europe and American will have to go through another tough lesson, written with our children's blood.

How you liking those Democrats and Obama now folks?

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Putin can and will do whatever he wants with the Ukraine and NATO will not do squat. It would take a further push into Poland or another NATO Country. All the warhawks and doomsayers seem to forget that Russia is just protecting her flank and the LEGAL Presidents postion.

Ask yourself; What would the USA do if What happened in the Ukraine happened in Canada? Lets just imagine that Canadian Prime Minister and cabinet was run out of office by a bunch of thugs in what is basically a coup. The USA would have boatloads of soldiers there trying to help them take back what was theirs.

Until the country was back into proper repair you can also bet your bottom dollar that the border between Canada and the USA would see a much larger military presence along the borders.

The world is a stage and IMO we are not even close to WW3.

How you liking those Democrats and Obama now folks? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

More than I would like to have had the King of the War Mongers McCain and Palin in office. Were they in office I would be building my fallout shelter this week.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Mamatus because: added content.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I think Putin knows that the present regime in Kiev is in a very unstable position and may be making ready to rush in to halt the slaughter of Russian civilians imo. Paul Craig Roberts writes " The murder of ultra-nationalist Right Sector militant leader Myzychko by police of the acting Interior Minister of the American stooge government in Ukraine on March 25 has resulted in another Right Sector leader, Dmitry Yarosh, demanding the resignation of Arsen Avakov, the acting Interior Minister and the arrest of the police who killed Muzychko. Yarosh declared: “We cannot watch silently as the Interior Ministry works to undermine the revolution.” Right Sector organizer Roman Koval in Rovno, Ukraine, warned: “We will take revenge on Avakov for the death of our brother.”

How this will play out is uncertain at this time. The violence provided by the Right Sector and other ultra-nationalist groups was essential to the success of the Washington-backed coup in overthrowing the elected democratic government. But the Right Sector has emerged as both an embarrassment and a threat to the unelected coup government and to its Washington sponsors who are selling the Washington-installed puppet government as a progressive exercise in democracy. This sell is difficult when ultra-nationalist thugs are beating up the imposed government.

Could civil war break out in Kiev between the Right Sector and the government installed by Washington? We know that the Right Sector was sufficiently organized and disciplined to take over the protests. We don’t know how well organized is the Washington puppet government or what force this group has at its disposal. We don’t know whether Washington has provided mercenaries to protect the government Washington has installed. It is not clear at this time where the power balance lies between the Right Sector and the US stooge government. www.informationclearinghouse.info...

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I can't stand you russian sympathizers. The moves putin has made are acts of aggression, an illegal occupation that looks like it will continue to grow. These are the moves of a desperate mad man Putin needs a war to boost his economy. These times are very reminiscent of ww2. I hope not, but if it comes to that, i hope the west plants a big flag in moscow after the soviets defeat. no more 38th parallel bs go all the way and solve this problem once and for all.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Mamatus
Lets just imagine that Canadian Prime Minister and cabinet was run out of office by a bunch of thugs in what is basically a coup. The USA would have boatloads of soldiers there trying to help them take back what was theirs.

Our border is large and landlocked so we don't need boats just truck loads.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

TechniXcality
reply to post by Mamatus

I can't stand you russian sympathizers. The moves putin has made are acts of aggression, an illegal occupation that looks like it will continue to grow. These are the moves of a desperate mad man Putin needs a war to boost his economy. These times are very reminiscent of ww2. I hope not, but if it comes to that, i hope the west plants a big flag in moscow after the soviets defeat. no more 38th parallel bs go all the way and solve this problem once and for all.

It's not that everyone are Russian sympathizers, it's just that a large amount of people on ATS are not ignorant of the facts on the ground up to and including Russia's annexation of Crimea. Now seeing all the political infighting going on in Kiev, and western nations not in lockstep, Russia will likely invade East Ukraine also. What some call unintended consequences of failed western intelligence backed coup d'etat
edit on 27-3-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yet nobody raised much alarms when America started building bases outside America and invading other soverign countries terratories.

I honestly want to see Russia, Iran et al start setting up bases next to America.
I honestly want to see BRICs nations setup their own payment platform to bypass SWIFT.

And honestly, I won't shed a tear if a dirty bomb goes off in America. The only fear is America's retilation dragging the rest of us into it.

Tired of hearing yanks cry 9/11 sympathy in my ears, Ive become deaf to their rants kinda like a car alarm going off in the street, nobody gives a damn about em.

edit on 27-3-2014 by kathat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The only war between the East and West will be a war of words leading to more sanctions and possible diplomatic expulsions.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

TechniXcality
reply to post by Mamatus

I can't stand you russian sympathizers.

You think I am a Russian sympathizer? lol! I am not. What I am is a rational and critical thinking guy with a bend towards logic. I don't kin well to statements like yours. Because not only are you wrong, you were rude.

Everyone keeps forgetting that the A sitting President and ally of Russia was illegally overthrown and run out of his Country in an illegal coup. One does not need to be a Russian sympathizer to see this little bit of logic.

Sadly when talking about Russia some people see only Putin "invading" another Country. The truth is that very wealthy people with ties to big oil and financial interest in privatizing Ukraine's resources invaded weeks before Putin did.

Would it surprise me one bit if Putin invaded all of the Ukraine very soon? No it would not. Nor would it surprise me if Yankovich was reinstalled as President. That is all within the rights of Yankovich until he is legally tossed out of offie.

Yankovich wants his country back and he asked Russia to help him get it. All in all they are being pretty darn non-violent. All that will change when the people of Kiev get violent.

I do not support Russia, I think Putin is a thug and a ego maniac. I can not however ignore the truth.
edit on 27-3-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

edit on 27-3-2014 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

Finally we hear from a real American. It's refreshing.

I can finally stop worrying that the world is too complex to fit into neat little boxes sealed with righteous brute force.
It relaxes the mind to contemplate the important things, like what to purchase next.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

kathat
Yet nobody raised much alarms when America started building bases outside America and invading other soverign countries terratories.

I honestly want to see Russia, Iran et al start setting up bases next to America.
I honestly want to see BRICs nations setup their own payment platform to bypass SWIFT.

And honestly, I won't shed a tear if a dirty bomb goes off in America. The only fear is America's retilation dragging the rest of us into it.

Tired of hearing yanks cry 9/11 sympathy in my ears, Ive become deaf to their rants kinda like a car alarm going off in the street, nobody gives a damn about em.

Ouch, that hurts my feelings. I love you too.
*sighs in America*

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Rosinitiate

kathat

*sighs in America*

Yer own fault. Can you please keep your president at home, he costs us too much when he visits. We don't want him here. I would have thought the lack of handshakes and applause would hit home, obviously it will take more obvious measures to get the point across.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

kathat

Rosinitiate

kathat

*sighs in America*

Yer own fault. Can you please keep your president at home, he costs us too much when he visits. We don't want him here. I would have thought the lack of handshakes and applause would hit home, obviously it will take more obvious measures to get the point across.

To be fair, we don't really want him either. If you haven't noticed its no more our say who leads our nation than another nation has a say when we come in and bomb it.

Don't just blame us, all nations are guilty by either being compliant, partners or abstainers. The US is a manifestation of all the evil in this world, and I can assure you it doesn't originate here. But we are one helluva canker sore on the planet.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Amusing.

You guys debate who is right, America or Russia

Would anybody debate who was right and wrong if our god damned politicians would have kept their focus on foreign enemies instead of the American people and we didn't have a govt that is run by corporate lobbyists whose only concern is turning people into worker drones?

What does our govt do these days? Debate social issues that interfere in peoples lives steal our wages? Everything they do these days involves things like upping police forces so people don't do drugs so corporations have more man hour time at work, or debate race so corporations have a universal work force or interfere in our habits so we are more productive or run over old ladies farms so everyone has to eat gmo laden crap or spy on us so we don't rebel over these things all for corporations that make our lives suck...

Maybe we should have kept doing like we did for the last 50 years and focused our energy on other powerful nation states not catered to the whims of the lobbyists of mega corporations

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Current leadership in Ukraine is a catastroph at best. It is a playground for local oligarchs, to run campaigns and rampage against each others, and loot as much as it goes there between. What is interesting to see, in the current state of affairs in Kiev, is, how long does it take before these thugs have managed to kill each other, or alternatively started a small scale civil war.

Alternative 1: Putin re-establishes some level of order and management in to Ukraine as a whole. A period of Russian administered dolls running the state, until after a transition period, things settle into normal.

Alternative 2: Putin divides Ukraine into two states. The western one housing all the current loonies, and the eastern part being a de facto republic of the Russian Federation.

Alternative 3: Putin just watches as Ukrainians themselves manage to bring the state down to oblivion, a new revolution, and life re-starts.

During this period, Nato, EU and USA, can just watch and take notes, and do their best to avoid mixing into something which could end up being Yugoslavian civil wars on steroids.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The only issue Russia is right on, is the coup overthrew a democratically elected government. That's it. There were no cries from Crimea and he didn't need to rush in to stop a slaughter of ethnic Russians. Anyone using that excuse is a straw man, and a liar. Where are all these Nazi's, not one ethnic Russian was slaughtered or threatened before Putin said it was so, and all the west haters call it a heroes move. Knock it off be true to yourselves. It was a preemptive strike. Granted they handled it beautifully without an "official" shot fired. People just went missing from their posts. Some came back others still haven't.

Russia is just as much the devil you claim the US is. They signed the Budapest agreement. Their word means nothing as well.
edit on 27-3-2014 by MrStyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

TechniXcality
reply to post by Mamatus

A friend of mine made a similar statement. He asked if id rather be Russian....I said absolutely not. Im a veteran...disgruntled for sure...upset with America. I think what bothers me the most isn't Russia invading...although they got the Crimera vote without as much as firing a shot for the most part. The Ukraine was overthrown ...by your standards....illegally...and Russia supported the community that wanted to remain Russian. There are several more districts that want to be Russian and they will be, im sure, eventually soon. Nothing seems that odd about this at all. But lets look at what America has done.

We went to war with Iraq for weapons of mass destruction that were never found...it was later changed to Al Qaeda is in Iraq...which im sure there were some resistance fighters but claiming we were there for Al Qaeda is complete bs. We can make arguments against Afghanistan and I believe in that war slightly more...but Iraq? Why? You know America has their hand in 1/2 this # that goes on in this world....I do sympathize with Russia....if America did this we just force everyone to agree with our position...Russia is going at it almost alone. And successfully I might add.

America has pissed off the world...and we are getting less and less support. Soon I will sympathize with America...when we are struggling to hold the country together....and that day is coming probably sooner than later.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

Doubt anyone would disagree with that Mr Styx

None the less Putin comes off as a hero because, let's face it, a lot of us would rather our govt be doing what our govt should be doing... protecting us from external threats not treating us like internal ones. Just about anything that keeps our govt busy with REAL threats is kind of welcome these days.

never thought I'd say it but... YAY COLD WAR IS BACK

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join