It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia school reportedly complains 8-year-old girl not feminine enough

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Christian Voice
Even better, home school students excel the most.

We homeschooled until 5th grade. Then went to a Catholic school until High School graduation.
My daughter ended up skipping a grade and is now getting her degree at a top end University.
The public schools here in the city simply are not safe.
Other parts of the country are probably better ... but not in this city.

link   

FlyersFan
- It's a private school so they can do what they want.
The private school can set dress standards and students have to follow them.

I see your point.

Problem is these people are being intrusted with a public service of educating kids.

The School admins by there ridiculous attitude show they have no intelligence or brain cells. Should they be entrusted to look after children.

They should be some minimal standard when it comes to education. Having brainless idiots teaching children helps no one. It just end up with even more uneducated American idiots for the world to laugh at.

Theres freedom and then there out right abuse and damaging vulnerable youths.

link   
It's right there in the Admission Policy.

From their website....

On those occasions in which the atmosphere or conduct within a particular home is counter to or in opposition to the biblical lifestyle that the school teaches, the school reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse admission of an applicant or to discontinue enrollment of a student. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, living in, condoning or supporting sexual immorality; practicing homosexual lifestyle or alternative gender identity; promoting such practices; or otherwise having the inability to support the moral principles of the school (Leviticus 20:13a; Romans 1:21-27; Matthew 19:4-6; I Corinthians 6:9-20).

Timberlake Christian Schools

How many Tax Payers Dollars are subsidizing this Bigotry?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

I live in TN as well and our low public school test scores have nothing to do with religion. I would imagine that poverty has a lot to do with things. A lot of inner city under priviledged children in TN.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

crazyewok
Problem is these people are being intrusted with a public service of educating kids.

It's a money making private school. I don't know if it's a 'public service'.

The School admins by there ridiculous attitude show they have no intelligence or brain cells.

Agreed.

They should be some minimal standard when it comes to education.

I would imagine it would be state-by-state as to what the requirements are for teaching in schools.

Theres freedom and then there out right abuse and damaging vulnerable youths.

Tricky subject. One persons 'abuse' is another persons 'faith.

I would think that the gender-paranoia displayed by the school about 'not being feminine enough'
would be damaging to ALL the students subjected to that thought process.

link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

As I said, school systems need to be judged individually on their qualities, be they good or bad. Not all religious schools are bad nor all public schools. Nothing will be perfect. There will always be outliers and incidents.

link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Not bigotry and no tax dollars. It costs parents a minimum of $4000 per year per student not counting books and uniforms. Parents send their children to private schools to put them into a certain environment and if others do not wish to adhere to their guidelines then they can take their children elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The school has a dress code that included school uniforms and she wore a school uniform (shirt and slacks) to school. As for the haircut she liked her hair short and before the first time she cut it it was down to her waist. She donated that hair to cancer victim.

link   
Whats the next complaint? her boobies too small?

link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

That's interesting. A student can be expelled if they are living in an environment of 'sexual immorality'??
So if Mom and Dad are divorced and get a girlfriend or boyfriend who stays overnight, the child can be
expelled? That's not exactly the fault of the child.

Well... it's their school so they can run it anyway they want.
I find that extreme .. but it's their choice.

link   

BritofTexas
How many Tax Payers Dollars are subsidizing this Bigotry?

You were on a pretty good roll until that.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

FlyersFan

It's a money making private school. I don't know if it's a 'public service'.

Its a difficult one to be sure and a thin line.

Yes its a money making private school. But on the other hand they are being entrusted with the care of the public children.

Its a tough one. And we have a similar problem here in the UK drawing the line. When does private become public? And how far should regulatory body's get involved in education. I dont know if there is a right or wrong answer.

FlyersFan
I would imagine it would be state-by-state as to what the requirements are for teaching in schools.

Still you would expect some sort of standard. I mean you wouldn't want extremist Islamic schools being set up?
I know a few years ago in the UK we had that issue.

FlyersFan
Tricky subject. One persons 'abuse' is another persons 'faith.

Again its a thin line. Some line has to be drawn or you get religious schools being set up to recruit extremists. Its not a road the US wants to go down.

FlyersFan
I would think that the gender-paranoia displayed by the school about 'not being feminine enough'
would be damaging to ALL the students subjected to that thought process.

I know.

Its a tough call here and one of those grey areas with no simple answers.

link   

dawnstar

The school has a dress code that included school uniforms and she wore a school uniform (shirt and slacks) to school. As for the haircut she liked her hair short and before the first time she cut it it was down to her waist. She donated that hair to cancer victim.

I'm actually a little concerned that teachers are spending more time checking their students out and less time educating them.

link   
Double post.
edit on 27-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Funding for public schools is according to standardized testing. Ironically, the higher the scores, the more money received. All teachers must be vetted and either hold a teaching certificate, or in special circumstances, be working on one while holding a temporary.

In most states, private religious education is up to the institution. Teachers do not need any higher education, certification, or experience. A standardized test is given to those about to graduate to make sure students are on par with their peers statewide. Homeschooling is similar to private, some states used to require education certification, but many of those laws have been relaxed.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

No, here in the States Private schools are not entrusted with public children. These children's parents pay the school heftily to send their children there. Before a parent ever pays a dime they are taken on a tour of the campus, shown statistics on the school's achievements, and shown the school's doctrine and policies in detail. This girl's grandparents knew full well what the school's policies were and still insisted on sending her to school the way they did.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I think we have a different view on what public is.

They are still being entrusted with peoples children and you would expect some sort of standard.

And yes there a likely thousands of good high achieving christian schools.

Problem is Extreme schools like this are going to bring bad publicity down on ALL christian schools. And that's a bad thing. Public opinion is a fickle thing.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Why is this a bad school ? The girl has had issues for three years now with her gender identity and obviously her grandparents will do nothing about it. The school certainly will. She was mistaken as a boy on more than one occasion .

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Christian Voice

Why is this a bad school ? The girl has had issues for three years now with her gender identity and obviously her grandparents will do nothing about it. The school certainly will. She was mistaken as a boy on more than one occasion .

She 8!

EIGHT!

The is no gender identity issues, THERE IS NO GODDAM ISSUES FULL STOP!

When I was at school there was lots of tom boys. Guess what? By pubity they all grew out of it! In fact I still have 2 long time friends from then and they are married to men with children!

Its anal and stupid.

And Christians like you and them give the rest of us Christians bad names.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Christian Voice

If a little girl has issues with her gender identity, shouldn't she be supported instead of reprimanded? And I repeat: if it's that big of a problem, all the more reason to switch her to a public school where she doesn't have to feel like an oddity for wearing short hair.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join