It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How our universe is like a giant ocean.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
First I would like to say I’m not a professional anything when it comes to space science or the universe. I gather my information from similarities of observable events that we can perceive to piece together my thoughts on how I feel things work.

Many people think space is empty except for matter (planets, starts, etc). I feel that the empty space is actually a different form of “matter” like water but the particles are just space farther apart (or very small). I don’t gain my thought from a math equation but rather observable events here on earth. Let’s first take a look at our spiral galaxy.

We are a “spiral” galaxy and you can see why it’s called a spiral galaxy from the picture above. Now I would like to show you a picture of an ocean whirlpool.

Notice a similarity? They both form a “spiral” type appearance. Both the whirlpool and our own galaxy have a force in the center that is causing this reaction and it creates a similar result.

Now I’m sure some people will point out that there are different types of galaxies like elliptical galaxies and irregular galaxies like the pictures below.
www.astro.cornell.edu...

With that said there are also different forms of whirlpools that take those same shapes. Some look rather “round” while others don’t resemble much of a whirlpool at all.

Next is how our own solar system moves through our galaxy/universe. Here is an interpretation of how that looks.

And here is a picture of how a propeller moves through water which I feel represents how our own solar systems moves through our own galaxy/universe.

In the end I feel most of the universe can be explained by observations of our own planet just on a different scale. We can’t look at the universe from the outside in however we can observer similarities just like the apple that fell from the tree.

Edit- sorry for the bad pictures I need to work on that.

edit on 27-3-2014 by LightSource because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSource

I agree with many of the Electric Universe concepts. Basically that space is an aether carrying plasma currents. Either way, space holds the most beauty I have ever seen.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

The solar system "spiraling' through space does not actually look like that. It implies that the Sun is actually going in a rather straight line and everything follows in spirals.

It doesn't.

Our Sun is in orbit around the centre of the Milky Way's centre of mass (its barycentre, in Astrophysicist speak). Yes, the Sun is travelling around and around a centre of mass "out there" somewhere.

Our sun is also "wobbled" in its position relative to the barycentre of the solar system. The Planets wobble the Sun and cause it to orbit just like they orbit the Sun.

Most orbits are elliptical, not circular and due to the inclination plane of the orbits relative to the "path of the Sun", would sometimes preceed the Sun on its path and sometimes lag after the Sun on its path. A spiral just doesn't do to describe such complex motion.

The mechanics of elliptically orbiting bodies dictate the motions of the planets and stars far more accurately than some "spiral" interpretation. In fact, the whole "epicycles" nonsense was brought about by people trying to fit the motions of the planets into poorly conceived 'regular' geometric models.

All of this just illustrates how ineffective a spiral is in describing motion in the universe. Just toss the idea, it' may look pretty, but it's worthless.

edit on 27/3/2014 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
How our ocean is like the universe is more fitting title

the ocean is inside the universe, by a long shot, and the universe have more weird things than the ocean.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
And just as man gazed across the oceans on earth,pondering the possibilities of strange lands and creatures we find ourselves doing the same with the ocean of space.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Did you edit those images in paint? If so just pull the white canvas back from the bottom right and you will lose all the whitespace.hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fatpastyhead

Yes I did thanks for the info!

top topics

join