It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants NSA overhaul, Rand Paul offers WIN/WIN situation (lawsuit settlement)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
How would Obama get a WIN/WIN out of this? Well, he said he wanted to overhaul the NSA (WIN) but it needed to be an act of congress, but a settlement would be faster (WIN).

Obama says he wants change in the NSA, to add more hoops for the NSA to jump through to collect data but says that it needs to be done through an act of congress, which is funny because it seems when he really wants to get something done, he uses the pen. Rand Paul offers Obama a settlement on his NSA lawsuit because a court settlement/judgement would secure MORE of our rights and do it MUCH faster.

Now....will Obama accept the settlement and collect his $200 as he passes go?

www.randpac.com...

WASHINGTON, DC – Earlier this week, President Obama indicated that he would like to end the collection of metadata by the National Security Agency. Rand Paul and FreedomWorks are currently plaintiffs in Federal District Court over this issue. While the White House has indicated that new legislation is needed to end mass data collection, a court settlement would put an immediate halt to this illegal and unconstitutional activity.

“If the White House is serious, they don’t need to wait for legislation from Congress. They can act today to settle this matter. They should stop collecting phone data. They should acknowledge they need a warrant to access such information in the future and they should accept that this data is protected by our Fourth Amendment rights,” said Rand Paul.

Matt Kibbe, President of FreedomWorks added, “It’s interesting that the President chooses civil liberties to drag his feet when it comes to using his ‘pen and his phone.’ Settling the lawsuit with Rand Paul and FreedomWorks would restore the rights of every American with a phone to protection from unwarranted searches and seizures. While we still need to continue the fight to protect our rights online, settling our lawsuit would be a good start.”

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I can see it now. No matter what Obama says or does, there will be plenty of haters on ATS to trash him. It doesn’t matter that he didn’t establish the NSA policies or protocols to begin with, or that he might be attempting to do something positive. People here will passionately rant against him. If he didn’t seek a congressional solution he would be pummeled as a lawless misfit and dictator. If he does seek congressional approval he will be labeled as weak and powerless.

Either way, the haters will still hate him, and will slander him and fault his actions; as if they could do any better.

PS: At least he's moving in the right direction...

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

netbound
I can see it now. No matter what Obama says or does, there will be plenty of haters on ATS to trash him. It doesn’t matter that he didn’t establish the NSA policies or protocols to begin with, or that he might be attempting to do something positive. People here will passionately rant against him. If he didn’t seek a congressional solution he would be pummeled as a lawless misfit and dictator. If he does seek congressional approval he will be labeled as weak and powerless.

Either way, the haters will still hate him, and will slander him and fault his actions; as if they could do any better.

PS: At least he's moving in the right direction...

This is his chance to put his money where his mouth is, does he really want change at the NSA or is it just lip service? We know when he really wanted change with guns, he legislated with his pen through executive order (fact). Now he is saying he wants change with data collection, he is offered two avenues of change, to continue with his unconstitutional executive orders (obviously not a win because it would seem tyrannical) or simple settlement of the lawsuit to get a court judgement (WIN).

NO congress
NO hold up
ALL change
ALL day

What president who truly wishes for immediate change wouldn't take a stab at this?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If Obama had issued any "unconstitutional executive orders", as you put it, he would have been brought up on it. EVERY president has issued executive orders when there was no other way of getting things done. It's a constitutiuonal right. One which, I might add, has been used less by this president than most others.

I knew this was going to quickly degrade into an Obama hating thread. That being the case, I doubt I'll be participating any further. These rants never involve logic or reasoning, just biased and hateful finger pointing.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

netbound
If Obama had issued any "unconstitutional executive orders", as you put it, he would have been brought up on it. EVERY president has issued executive orders when there was no other way of getting things done. It's a constitutiuonal right. One which, I might add, has been used less by this president than most others.

I knew this was going to quickly degrade into an Obama hating thread. That being the case, I doubt I'll be participating any further. These rants never involve logic or reasoning, just biased and hateful finger pointing.

For the record:

You just completely avoided the main issue here, whether he will put his money where his mouth is and get some real change at the NSA.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

eLPresidente

netbound

For the record:

You just completely avoided the main issue here, whether he will put his money where his mouth is and get some real change at the NSA.

He's not going to do any thing to fix the NSA!
You and everyone here knows what Obama has said in the past and recently:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
In all fairness, what the NSA is doing is not only legal, but was authorized under the Patriot Act and other policies. When the Patriot Act was passed under a wholly Republican regime, there was some debate among citizens - obviously, privacy and security were not a concern then.

I find it funny and typically hypocritical that most folks these days are more than happy to share information with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, et al., yet they are offended when they find out a legal arm of the US government was following legal courses of action to protect the nation.

While many folks believe the NSA is out to collect information on them, I will quietly remind them the government is represented by the people. YOU make the choice! Quit your friggin complaining and stand up and make a difference instead of complaining about your entitlements on your i-[____]!

Getting off my soapbox now...

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jrflipjr

I find it funny and typically hypocritical that most folks these days are more than happy to share information with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, et al. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many of us DON"T and NEVER HAVE!

Privacy does have it's limitations, But you should still do everything in your Power to Protect Your's.

edit on 26-3-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
BuBuBuBut ....

Obama Promised !!

He Promised.

He said.

Obama: Spying on Americans

As a presidential candidate, Barack Obama announced: "I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorists without undermining our Constitution and our freedom.

That means no more illegal wiretapping of American citizens.

No more national security letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime. That is not who we are."

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

jrflipjr
In all fairness, what the NSA is doing is not only legal, but was authorized under the Patriot Act and other policies. When the Patriot Act was passed under a wholly Republican regime, there was some debate among citizens - obviously, privacy and security were not a concern then.

I find it funny and typically hypocritical that most folks these days are more than happy to share information with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, et al., yet they are offended when they find out a legal arm of the US government was following legal courses of action to protect the nation.

While many folks believe the NSA is out to collect information on them, I will quietly remind them the government is represented by the people. YOU make the choice! Quit your friggin complaining and stand up and make a difference instead of complaining about your entitlements on your i-[____]!

Getting off my soapbox now...

The fourth amendment was the fourth amendment when they passed the Patriot Act and Bush signed it and the fourth amendment is still the fourth amendment under Obama, who is in dereliction of duty for not abiding by his oath of office letting this happen under his watch.

BILL OF RIGHTS - AMENDMENT IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The only difference between then (majority of Americans paranoid of terror) and now is that we have the NSA revelations that has caused over 70% of the American people to lose faith in the government and to deem it "too big".

To put it simply, Americans didn't care about privacy when the patriot act was passed, they cared about revenge, they were tricked into an emotional reaction (we should all know this by now). Today Americans see the program for what it really is and want it stopped.
edit on 27-3-2014 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   
What the video recorded and BitTorrent has done to the movie industry the NSA spyware scandal will do to all the american software giants

Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Twitter,Youtube Amazon , Ebay plus the next big ten are all american software giants so is it because only Americans know how to cut code or is it that they all received massive amounts of money from the NSA/CIA/FBI and now work as a team to shut everyone else out.

You might not care if you are being recorded 24/7 but company's outside the USA do care and are well aware of just who has been watching them and that is why it's the beginning of the end for Goolge & co who between them all are now able to censor what we get to see on the internet.

Tweet more than one or two negative comments about Google on Twitter and they block anyone from seeing your Google tweets except you and also restrict the flow of your other tweets and if you dare kick up then your account gets blocked 100% but not always closed because keeping you on twitter ranting and raving stops you posting somewhere else.

From the other side you can find the odd one or two negative comments about Twitter if you do a Google else it would become too obvious that Google is protecting Twitter but they do it enough to make you notice if you are looking for it.

It was all fun and free with the candy man handing out sugar coated coke but now you are addicted you suddenly have all these terms and conditions as long as your arm to comply with and SEO bull# being used as an excuse as to why your site is on the last page of a Google search results and raise you neck up to far and you end up on one of them safe browsing lists or being blocked by everyone's ISP

This has all happened slowly like boiling the frog but it's starting to come to a head as more people notice and then America will learn just what a cyber war is when people vote with their money or feet.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Hmmm. Obama said he wanted "universal healthcare" and then he passed a law requiring everyone to buy insurance. Let's wonder what he'll do when he says he wants "change" in the NSA.
edit on 28-3-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

netbound

So this hasn't happened in your world?

38 Changes to ObamaCare...So Far

more than 38 significant changes already have been made to ObamaCare: at least 21 that the Obama Administration has made unilaterally,

I understand this is 38 changes total, I'm just trying to call attention to the 21 that Obama implemented without Congressional approval.

new topics

top topics

join