It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Please Do Away With Automatically Putting In A Link When Copying Text On ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I HATE websites that do this. If I'm replying to another member I don't want to have to select the html every single time and delete it. It's annoying and if someone doesn't want to link here this isn't going to change anything.

I know it only takes a few seconds to delete the link when copy/pasting but it just feels insulting and pointless. Perhaps I'm missing something. Was this requested? Does it have any benefits?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I know it only takes a few seconds to delete the link when copy/pasting but it just feels insulting and pointless. Perhaps I'm missing something. Was this requested? Does it have any benefits? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is annoying and people are going to be doing it on accident all the time. Look how many double posts occur.

I was hoping maybe there was something new integrated into the reply function but it appears not.
edit on 2620140320141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
OMG that is stupid, when did they start doing that? I haven't been on the forum for awhile and it never used to be like that.
ATS management seem to be making lots of dumb changes recently, like censoring urls to websites you want to link to.

This just adds to the list of reason why I rarely visit here anymore.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

I think it was today this got added. Possibly yesterday. It's a mild inconvenience, but it's insulting. I get that ATS is a business and wants traffic, but this sort of thing feels invasive and weird.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense to me. ATS isn't a news source. It's a forum. I have never seen a forum do this. Is there a big problem with people poaching ATS content? If so, is this really going to do anything? It takes a second to highlight and delete. It just seems like a needless pain in the ass to protect content, and in reality offers 0 protection. It's just a pain in the ass.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Isn't it just there so a person can click the reply to username and then read the post that is the source of the reply?

That's been here quite a while. Actually, I sometime use it to see what was in the post since it may not be quoted completely.

Am I referring to the wrong issue?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Never mind... I see what happens with the copy/paste (not quote) now...

So if I quote you, I will get a link? I'm confused, I haven't had this happen... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

no this is what Domo is talking about.

Can We Please Do Away With Automatically Putting In A Link When Copying Text On ATS? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

or this, a quote from your post

Isn't it just there so a person can click the reply to username and then read the post that is the source of the reply? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

see the small print behind the bold link, it just started today or yesterday when the new social media bar came in.
it's part of the new trendy ATS.

edit on 27-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Isn't it just there so a person can click the reply to username and then read the post that is the source of the reply?
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I just copy/pasted what you wrote into QUOTE. See the annoying link? If you copy any text on ATS now it adds that BS.

Copy what I just wrote, open a new tab and paste it. You get the obnoxious -See More at: URL

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Big time s&f. This behavior is spammy and virtually always unwanted. Bad move, ATS.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Pseudonaut
Big time s&f. This behavior is spammy and virtually always unwanted. Bad move, ATS.

Quoted you to see what you guys are referring to.

I do not see anything as of yet....

maybe when I submit this...

Edit: Nope. I don't see what you guys are referring to.

Is it within the sharethis script?

Do I need to allow that script to see it?
edit on 3/27/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Copy and paste - not quote (I thought the same thing at first)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Bleeeeep

Pseudonaut

Quoted you to see what you guys are referring to.

I do not see anything as of yet....

maybe when I submit this...

Edit: Nope. I don't see what you guys are referring to.

Is it within the sharethis script?

Do I need to allow that script to see it?

It doesn't show when you reply with a quote, like above, but when you copy/paste like this:

Big time s&f. This behavior is spammy and virtually always unwanted. Bad move, ATS. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27-3-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Copy and paste - not quote (I thought the same thing at first)

I enabled that script, copied your reply, clicked reply to you, pasted your text, typed bbc quote tags around your reply, and then typed the steps I took to make this post. lol... let's see if it works.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

It doesn't show when you reply with a quote, like above, but when you copy/paste like this:

Like this?

Test.

Edit: I cannot get it to work, and the irony is: I requested a feature similar to what you guys are describing:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I think it was disabled.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Did the links link back to the quoted posts? Will be sad if I missed out on that awesomeness simply because the url was too intrusive to the post.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Seems to be back and yes it takes you to the post that the text was copied from.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Bleeeeep
Edit: I cannot get it to work, and the irony is: I requested a feature similar to what you guys are describing:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Except your suggestion actually makes sense and would be a benefit. Not knowing where someones quoted post came from can be a PITA.

OP is not even talking about quoting posts using the quote button,
he's talking about:
1. highlighting some text in a post
2. copying it (right-click copy, or just ctrl-c)
3. pasting it somewhere (even in a notepad on your PC)
at the end of the pasted text there will some extra text such as

- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27/3/14 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/3/14 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Doesn't work on this pc for some reason, but ty for the description.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
My guess it has something to do with the new share floater thingy.

So that if someone would share something of this site it would give a link back

<<   2 >>

join