It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap and easy fire starter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ok,one of the biggest issues for survival is fire.Lighters,matches,flint,rubbing sticks,etc.Granted,everything eventually runs out of fuel or such.Basically,all you need is a spark.While this isn't a lifelong source like a magnifying glass,its cheap and quick! A welding striker! Its a device to light torches with,they cost about 3 bucks,and the replacement flints are 3 bucks for a 5 pack.So,for 6 or 7 bucks,you have years worth of sparks with a simple squeeze!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Corn chips.
Best fire starter ever. Of course you need a spark.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blkcwbyhat

Why not just buy a ferro rod??
goinggear.com...

I have what you are talking about but have never tried it in the woods and when needing a fire....I am not that brave or patient to try that under extreme circumstances.....I'll stick to the ferro rod.
Try both and come back and tell us what worked out in real life for you.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Cotton balls covered in Vaseline work well. You'll still need some source of ignition, however.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
yeah but a sparkler doesnt really throw sparks down into a tinder. I agree it is a cheap sparker though

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

tinner07
yeah but a sparkler doesnt really throw sparks down into a tinder. I agree it is a cheap sparker though

If you hold the sparker with the flint up, the sparks fall right into the little pan that holds the 'frizzen'. Put your tinder in the pan, spark, blow and there you go.
Personally, I prefer my permanent match.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

It is hard to come up with a "fire starter" any more direct, simple and weatherproof than a propane lighter (or several). For a backup, a magnesium striker.

Several months ago there was a person having survived the war in Bosnia in 2001 and he strongly supported having a supply of propane lighters. In fact, he made himself a little business by making a tool to recharge the throw-aways from a larger container. In a really bad, on-going situation, propane lighters will make ahellofva hot (no pun intended) trade item.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Holy crap... DRYER LINT! It's cheap and it catches fire like crazy!

Honestly, my BOB has two gallon sized Ziploc bags with dryer lint stuffed in it. Once you get enough lint stuffed in it smush all the air out of the Ziploc and make it more compact for storage. I have some lighters, but also have several flint/spark throwers as well.

Dryer lint has yet to fail me.
edit on 28-3-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have used a welding type spark lighter for years as a fire starting tool. I am surprised they are not sold in camping supply stores. And the alcohol prep pad from your first aid kit will lite real easy and will burn for over a minute. More than enough time to get a good fire going. I even keep a spark lighter in my truck just in case.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

Those flint strikers can light charred tinder, flammable liquid soaked material if you have it,an option to consider, but it would be backup...

My suggestion is to get familiar with the primitive ways, understand the work involved and their success rate, invest in a good ferro rod ( and know it's limitations).. most important is to become familiar what will help you create fire from the natural materials in your area....

There's no easy fix.... you have to put in some dirt time in your area to understand what will effectively produce fire when you need it...

Solar ignition is great, when the sun is shining... Friction methods can be great, if you aren't battling a rainstorm...

Flint & Steel works well if you have charred material...

If you want to master fire making, don't rely on a single source, be proficient in as many methods that you can learn, and never stop learning...

It just might save your life someday... .02

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Maybe, if that's ALL you had. I have lighters in every vehicle and all over the place plus matches. Any pants carry at least one lighter. If I can't figure it out after the first 24 hours, I have a more serious problem.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

Our Firestarter for the Backyard and camping are made of cardboard egg cartons, dryer lint and melted wax. Place the lint in the egg catton and pour the wax all over the carton. Once cooled, you have a dozen ore more Firestarters that work in even wet conditions.

Still even better, birch bark. The oil in that stuff just ignites with a small spark.

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

edit on 17-7-2015 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
in wet times....a lighter and plexiglass.....it won't gout no matter what

posted on Jul, 17 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Pretty much have lighters as my mainstay, but also have storm matches (strike anywhere, waterproof/windproof), and a couple of firestarters as well as the old trusty flint/steel. Can never have too many ways to make fire. I'll second the dryer lint idea. Always works. I keep a ziploc bag of it in the GHB.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I agree that multiple options are best. I have a striker, several disposable lighters and a pack of home made waterproof matches in my BOB. I also like to collect the round black fungus that grows on the underside of dead ash trees- I forget the name of it- it ignites with a small spark and can keep an ember for hours if wrapped properly, also a small roll of bicycle inner tube. A couple of thin strips will keep the fire going whatever the weather.

posted on Oct, 26 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant used dryer sheets work extremely well with any striker when i go camping i carry around a vunck in a ziploc sandwhich bag one sheet equals four fires usually.

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Batteries and steel wool work well. Check out this video:

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: blkcwbyhat
Ok,one of the biggest issues for survival is fire.Lighters,matches,flint,rubbing sticks,etc.Granted,everything eventually runs out of fuel or such.Basically,all you need is a spark.While this isn't a lifelong source like a magnifying glass,its cheap and quick! A welding striker! Its a device to light torches with,they cost about 3 bucks,and the replacement flints are 3 bucks for a 5 pack.So,for 6 or 7 bucks,you have years worth of sparks with a simple squeeze!

They are good and they will be good the survival purpose also but know that they dont last more than about 100 strikes and that it may to 3-4 strikes per ingnition so get a handfull of packs.

Come to think of it, I had acess to hundreds of them once upon a time.

new topics

top topics

join