It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Glass of Wine While Breastfeeding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
For centuries women have borne children and drunk wine and beer. Why is it that modern women flip out because a woman was having a glass of wine while she breastfed her kid. So what? Who cares? Did the kid die? No. Was it drunk? No.

So why are people calling the cops on the mother? Grow up, America. Do you think the French flip out over a glass of wine and a tit? No.
edit on 3/26/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

Story heard on CNN (TV).
edit on 3/26/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

I wholeheartedly agree!
It relaxes the mother which in turn increases milk production. Both of my kids turned out fine. They didn't catch the aids or even a case of the derps.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

the owlbear

I wholeheartedly agree!
It relaxes the mother which in turn increases milk production. Both of my kids turned out fine. They didn't catch the aids or even a case of the derps.

I don't understand the mindset of people who call the police on these women. If I were the cop I'd tell her straight out that there's no way I'm arresting her, she's not breaking the law, and probably, in the future, to have a glass at home because people get stupid about it.

BUT, she should be able to have a glass in public in peace.

I wish people would mind their own business.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

It won't long before they are calling the cops on breastfeeding mothers who drink soda.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I agree too..I don't know why americans are so effing crazy about so many things..it's like someone always has to be in your business..nose stuck up you arse..whatever..why can't people just live THEIR lives..tattletales!

edit on 26-3-2014 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

greencmp

It won't long before they are calling the cops on breastfeeding mothers who drink soda.

I hadn't thought about that. You're probably right. Or eating a cheeseburger.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

That's what I told my ex. She would have a beer or half a glass of wine, not very often, but on occasion when visibly pregnant and also while breastfeeding. It isn't going to kill the kid or retard development unless you're downing gin with your corn flakes...then I dont think motherhood is for you.

People in the US have been duped by the medical industry who feared lawsuits from carnivorous lawyers preying on Ob/gyns if a kid happens to have the slightest thing wrong. Easy to say, "well shouldn't have drank that one glass of wine because little Jimmy would have been okay (never mind the oxygen deprivation during labor) "

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Why flip out? According to the NIH, alcohol passes into breast milk. In what quantities is arguable, but why take a chance with a baby who doesn't have a fully developed liver capable of processing it? Yes, infants and young children do not have livers functioning at the level that adults' do- hence the lowered dosages for medications, etc. The responsible solution here is that if a woman wants to drink, just bottle feed (even milked pumped from earlier in the day) for that time.

Edit: For the record, I'm not one of those anti-breast feeding twats.
edit on 26-3-2014 by FatherStacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Neopan100
I agree too..I don't know why americans are so effing crazy about so many things..it's like someone always has to be in your business..nose stuck up you arse..whatever..why can't people just live THEIR lives..tattletales!

This story is a prime example of what I call, *people feeling out of control in their own lives*, syndrome. Because they feel like they have so little or no control over what happens to them. They lash out at anyone they feel they can exert some form of control over.

By calling the cops, they blatantly show how so insecure and fragile mentally they really are.

People who resort to these kinds of ridiculous actions attempt to show vicariously, through the cops, that they do have some control on something. Even it it's complete strangers that are doing nothing wrong.

It's not like the woman was putting wine in a sippy cup and giving it directly to her child. Even Jesus drank wine...and condoned it.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Des

edit on 26-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
What gets me is that all throughout history women have drunk wine and beer while pregnant and breastfeeding and no one had a problem with it. Why do modern women get so hysterical about it?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Restricted
What gets me is that all throughout history women have drunk wine and beer while pregnant and breastfeeding and no one had a problem with it. Why do modern women get so hysterical about it?

I had the occasional drink while I was and pregnant and breastfeeding, but my tolerance to alcohol went down drastically following pregnancy so it was very rare as half a glass of wine would make me tiddly. I was far more concerned therefore with having the delayed reactions associated with alcohol than what effect it would have on my son.

In terms of historically, in the 'good' old days, beer and wine were drunk instead of water due to the water being rife with disease carrying bacteria. It was not a choice and not really a good example for modern behaviour, we are better informed of the consequences, and we don't have to do that anymore because of sanitised drinking water.

Research has shown that alcohol intake actually impedes the flow of milk, and often, because of the 'odd' taste, baby will refuse it anyway. While I do not agree with calling the cops on mother's who drink, or even think that there is anything wrong in having the odd drink, it is better to abstain for the most part. Information is available to us that enables us to make informed choices about diet etc, and this can be taken to extremes a lot of the time, and used to judge those who don't appear to be following it to the letter. Yes, alcohol in excess can be very harmful to your unborn or nursing child, but a small glass of wine with your meal, a couple of times a week, between feeds, is perfectly acceptable.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'd be far more concerned about someone on daily medication, but then that's a major reason why I didn't breastfeed beyond the first few days - I was going to have to go back on daily medication.

Yeah, the alcohol will go through to your breast milk, but the baby likely won't find that breast milk appetizing and won't drink it until the alcohol leaves you milk, too. It's why they suggest you eat those foods you want your child to eat while you are breast feeding - the food's taste will affect the flavor of the milk and start forming your kid's palate.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Destinyone

Neopan100

This story is a prime example of what I call, *people feeling out of control in their own lives*, syndrome. Because they feel like they have so little or no control over what happens to them. They lash out at anyone they feel they can exert some form of control over.

By calling the cops, they blatantly show how so insecure and fragile mentally they really are.

People who resort to these kinds of ridiculous actions attempt to show vicariously, through the cops, that they do have some control on something. Even it it's complete strangers that are doing nothing wrong.

It's not like the woman was putting wine in a sippy cup and giving it directly to her child. Even Jesus drank wine...and condoned it.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Des

edit on 26-3-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Very well-put. When we lack control in our own lives we crave to control others.

top topics

join