It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had no idea how many foreign Nationals were missing when they traveled abroad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
wiki

Australia[edit]
2 Released/Rescued[edit]
John Martinkus, a journalist for SBS Television, was kidnapped on October 16, 2004. He was released on October 18, 2004, after his captors used Google to verify his status as a journalist.[2][3]
Douglas Wood, construction engineer was kidnapped along with two Iraqi business associates on April 30, 2005. The two associates were later killed. Wood was rescued on June 15, 2005 in a raid carried out by the Iraqi Army.[4][5]
Bulgaria[edit]
2 Killed[edit]
Georgi Lazov and Ivailo Kepov, two truck drivers, were seized on June 29, 2004, near Mosul. Lazov's beheaded body was found on July 14, 2004; Kepov's on July 22, 2004.[6]
Czech Republic[edit]
3 Released[edit]
Reporter Michal Kubal and cameraman Petr Klíma, of Czech television and Vít Pohanka from Czech Radio were kidnapped on April 11, 2004. They were freed April 16, 2004.[7]
Denmark[edit]
1 Killed[edit]
Henrik Frandsen was abducted on April 11, 2004, while working on a sewage project, and found dead the next day.[8]
Italy[edit]
4 Killed[edit]
Fabrizio Quattrocchi, a security guard captured with three others, was reported killed in a video released on April 14, 2004.
Enzo Baldoni, a reporter taken hostage in August and shown being killed in a video released on August 26, 2004. His Iraqi driver-translator was killed during the abduction.
Salvatore Santoro, a photojournalist, reported kidnapped and killed on December 16, 2004.
Iyad Anwar Wali, an Italian-Iraqi businessman, was reported killed on October 2, 2004.
6 Released[edit]
Umberto Cupertino, Maurizio Agliana and Salvatore Stefio were captured with security guard Fabrizio Quattrocchi on April 29, 2004. The three were freed June 8, 2004.[9]
Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, aid workers for a Bridge to Baghdad, were kidnapped along with two Iraqis on September 7, 2004. They were freed on September 28, 2004. Italy allegedly paid $5 million dollars in ransom for their release.[10]
Giuliana Sgrena, a reporter for Il Manifesto, was kidnapped on February 4, 2005. Her driver and translator managed to escape. When she was released on March 4, 2005, her car was shot at by US troops, and Italian agent Nicola Calipari was killed. Italy allegedly paid $6 million dollars in ransom for her release.
Japan[edit]
2 Killed[edit]
Shosei Koda, a tourist, was confirmed beheaded on October 30, 2004. He had been kidnapped on October 26, 2004 by Zarqawi's group.
Akihiko Saito, a security contractor, was kidnapped after a convoy attack and reported killed on May 28, 2005.
3 Released[edit]
Soichiro Koriyama, Noriaki Imai, and Nahoko Takato, Japanese citizens were kidnapped on April 8, 2004, but released on April 15, 2004.[11]
Macedonia[edit]
3 Killed[edit]
Dalibor Lazarevski, Dragan Marković, and Zoran Naskovski, were kidnapped August 21, 2004, near Baghdad. They worked for Soufan Engineering, which caters to the needs of the US military and its private contractors. On October 22, 2004, the Macedonian government confirmed the three had been killed.[12]
2 Released[edit]
Faruk Ademi and Rasim Ramadani, two contractors working for a cleaning company at Basra International Airport were abducted on February 16, 2006. They were released on February 20, 2006.[13]
Philippines[edit]
2 Released[edit]
Angelo de la Cruz, a truck driver, was taken hostage on July 7, 2004. De la Cruz was released after the Philippines withdrew their 51 troops in the country on July 20, 2004. His Iraqi security guard was killed during the abduction.[14]
Roberto Tarongoy, kidnapped on November 1, 2004. He was released eight months later, on June 22, 2005 after a ransom was paid.[15]
Poland[edit]
2 Released[edit]
Jerzy Kos, a contractor kidnapped on June 1, 2004, was freed in an operation on June 8, 2004.[9]
Teresa Borcz Khalifa, a Polish aid worker, was kidnapped on October 28, 2004. She was freed on November 20, 2004.
Romania[edit]
3 Released[edit]
Marie Jeanne Ion, Sorin Dumitru Miscoci, and Ovidiu Ohanesian, journalists, were kidnapped on March 28, 2005 in Baghdad. Their Iraqi-American translator, Mohammad Munaf, also went missing with them. They were released on May 22, 2005. Munaf was accused by the Romanian government of organizing the kidnapping and was arrested.[7][16]
South Korea[edit]
1 Killed[edit]
Kim Sun-il, a translator, was kidnapped on May 30, 2004 by Zarqawi´s group. He was beheaded in a video released June 22, 2004.
Ukraine[edit]
5 Released[edit]
Five energy workers from Interenergoservis were kidnapped on April 12, 2004, along with 3 Russians and a man immediately released, all were released the next day with the insurgents apologizing, noting that they did not realise they were Russian and Ukrainian.[17]
United Kingdom[edit]
5 Killed[edit]
Kenneth John Bigley, a civil engineer, who was kidnapped September 16, 2004. The two Americans kidnapped with him were beheaded and Bigley was beheaded around October 7.
Jason Swindlehurst, Jason Creswell, Alec Maclachlan and Alan McMenemy, four security contractors kidnapped with Peter Moore, a computer consultant, on May 29, 2007. Their captors were Shia militiamen who demanded the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq and release of all Iraqi prisoners in exchange for the hostages's release. Jason, Peter and Alan appeared in videos released in November 2007, February 2008 and July 2008. The captors claimed that Swindlehurst killed himself on May 25, 2008. However, that turned out to be a lie. The bodies of Swindlehurst and Creswell were recovered on June 19, 2009. On July 29, 2009, it was revealed that Maclachlan and McMenemy had also been killed. Maclachlan's body was recovered on September 1, 2009. McMenemy's body was recovered on January 20, 2012.[18][19][20][21]
6 Released[edit]
Gary Teeley, a laundry contractor at an American base outside Nasiriyah, was kidnapped on April 5, 2004. He was freed by his kidnappers on April 11, 2004.[22]
James Brandon, a freelance journalist for The Sunday Telegraph, was kidnapped after 30 masked gunmen stormed into his hotel in Basra on August 12, 2004. He was freed on August 13, 2004, by his captors.[7]
Phillip Sands, a freelancer reporter, was abducted on December 26, 2005, along with his interpreter and driver. His abductors were gunmen who planned on using him to get Britain to pull all troops out of Iraq and release all Iraqi prisoners. Phillip was filmed pleading for his life. However, the tape was never sent to Al Jazeera. On December 31, 2005, Phillip and his two colleagues were rescued by U.S. troops who revealed that no one knew they were missing.[7]
Norman Frank Kember, an aid worker for Christian Peacemaker Teams, was kidnapped along with two Canadians and an American on November 27, 2005.[1] He was freed in a Coalition raid March 23, 2006. See 2005-2006 Christian Peacemaker hostage crisis.
Richard Butler, a journalist working for CBS News, was kidnapped in Basra on February 10, 2008, with his Iraqi interpreter Aqeel Khadhir. The translator was freed on February 13, 2008. Butler was rescued on April 14, 2008 by Iraqi forces.[23][24]
Peter Moore, a computer consultant, and his four security guards were kidnapped from the Iraqi Finance ministry on May 29, 2007.[25] Peter and two of his security guards appeared in videos released in November 2007, February 2008 and July 2008. Their captors were Shia militiamen who demanded the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq and the release of all...

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
wow thanks to wiki we have the above information. I guess we will have to wait until wiki is updated on any newbies... latest statistics.

It is really above scary to think that you could go on a holiday and then end up being sold in a market place for money?

Anyway, it is all conjecture on my behalf of course, but all of this info makes me feel less inclined to travel anywhere.

There are so many risks with regard to travelling.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

You can be put off the risks of travelling all you like, but that just leaves you scarred in your own little cultural bubble. I travelled through Central America, where we were told it could be dangerous. To be honest I have felt more intimidated walking through my home town on a weekend in rural England than I did any of those Central American countries. Admittedly Belize was a little intimidating, but nothing that you don't expect from leaving your comfort Zone

You have to take some risks in life.
edit on 26-3-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The American government has done a good job of making the world hate us, so I believe I'll be keeping my happy a** at home. It's bad enough people hate me in America, I couldn't imagine going to a country where practically everybody was taught to hate you.

I might be told I'm scared, and I'll never leave my box, but I'm fine with that, I can explore the rest of the United States and be happy with that, because I know chances of me being kidnapped and sold on the black market are slim to none.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Just do what most American travellers do and put a Canadian flag on you back pack.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Lol, that could work, but I think I sound a little too southern to pass as a Canadian.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
If something like what this www.abovetopsecret.com... thread talks about I would imagine some higher profile people may be reconsidering just what flight they may want to take ...Once you are on the ground it's not hard to be pulled off the flight ...

new topics

top topics

join