It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold viruses communicate by coughing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Could it be that cold viruses communicate between infected humans by the sound of coughing? Have you noticed that when someone cough almost immidiately someone else coughs also, you just can't seem help yourself from coughing after someone else coughs. Perhaps the cold virus is so advanced that if no one else coughs it causes a sneeze to spread itself, but if most are infected around, i.e. they cough, then the cold virus will not spread itself thus conserving its vital resources. Have you noticed that when you have a cold virus you are more likely to sneeze in public then at home when you are alone; just a coincident or are you being purposively controlled by the cold virus that has infected your body?

I got this wild idea after reading about a advanced computer virus that used the computers sound cards to communicate between different infected computer when the computers were not connected to a computer network.

Someone in science should perhaps record the sounds peoples coughs and see if they can find any kind of "language" in use.

-MM

edit on 26-3-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

That is an excellent theory, or at least unique. Stretching the envelope is the way to go, or at least for a portion of the day.

I know I often sneeze when I first walk into the sun. Maybe, in your theory, when all primates (including us) lived outdoors, some of us sneezing when the sun came up was a survival mechanism for the germs and other lung-inhabitants as well, so they could mix with their neighbors.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Hate to be a grammar Nazi but it is spelt cough not coff.
edit on 26-3-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Dp

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Colds spread by coffing? Meh...everyone knows they're spread by Ekans... sorry, couldn't resist...

somewhere leering at Pikachu

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

sosobad

Hate to be a grammar Nazi but it is spelt cough not coff.

Fixed.

-MM

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Aleister

That is an excellent theory, or at least unique. Stretching the envelope is the way to go, or at least for a portion of the day.

I know I often sneeze when I first walk into the sun. Maybe, in your theory, when all primates (including us) lived outdoors, some of us sneezing when the sun came up was a survival mechanism for the germs and other lung-inhabitants as well, so they could mix with their neighbors.

I also sneeze at sunrise.

True, germs grow faster when it's warmer, so spreading itself at daytime gives it better chances than spreading at nighttime when it's cold. Also, germs survive longer in warm air than in cold air, another advantage of spreading at daytime when the day is starting to warm up.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I'd like to apply your theory to other health conditions like flatulence.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

That would imply that the virus' could actually communicate not only in an intra cellular manner but could also somehow communicate between bodies by using the individual vectors as a broadcasting system. I dont know of any mechanism by which this would be the case but great out of the box thinking.

What I find more crazy is the sound card computer virus you spoke of, thats down right scary. Have you heard of the computer virus which transmits itself over wifi networks now?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Cough is caused by your body to counteract the debris in the throat. Sure, virus maybe the reason the cough is produced(indirectly) but it its highly unlikely.

Also, i never seen someone else cough after someone... maybe yawn, but not cough.

edit: *highly unlikely that it is a communication.
edit on 3/26/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i always assume it was like yawning. the sound is kind of contagious in it's own way. people hear someone else cough and they give a little cough themselves just because. maybe like a form of suggestion. someone else coughs and it plants a seed in your head that "hey, maybe i need to cough too" on a subconscious level. i take the train to and from work in Brooklyn everyday and I see it happen all the time. Someone will cough on the train and it's like a chain reaction sometimes. kinda crazy the way it happens.

i agree the OP's theory is interesting though. viruses have been around long before we were here. it's scary to think that a virus could be so evolved that it could communicate with other similar viruses through it's host. that sounds like the makings of a sci-fi movie right there. where's philip k dick when you need em?
edit on 26-3-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Cold viruses aren't sounds. They're little structures. We know a lot about rhinoviruses.

BTW, computer viruses aren't the same as biological viruses. At all.

Although we did actually take your tax money for a ridiculous project that I hesitate to describe for the shame of having done it. Other people than you have made the mistake of taking the terminology too ... literally.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Very interesting theory indeed.

But I've never experienced coughing as a "contagious" event, i.e. I cough just because I see/hear someone else cough.

Yawning on the other hand, I am baffled by the way it transfers from person to person.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is true and if you don't get the message then you will probaly get sick. Wearing the color black is a great defense for evading viruses. It has been used in nature many times.Viruses use light to find targets. Many infections can be stopped using a new high power flash light in short burst on effected areas such as spider bites. Figs cure leporacy.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Its called "sympathetic behavior". we are wired for it.

The sneeze and sun connection is another well known connection, however it is usually reverse (you look up at the sun to stop sneezing), if i recall.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Top bit is correct - copying behaviours like yawning builds social bonds.

Second part is wrong though - you look at a bright light (not the sun) if you need to sneeze as you can only sneeze with your eyes closed.

As for the OP - never heard of two people coughing at the same time unless it's due to dust or similar. Colds spread via coughing hence why two people in the same room may develop a cough around the same time.
edit on 26-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

MerkabaMeditation
Could it be that cold viruses communicate between infected humans by the sound of coughing? Have you noticed that when someone cough almost immidiately someone else coughs also, you just can't seem help yourself from coughing after someone else coughs. Perhaps the cold virus is so advanced that if no one else coughs it causes a sneeze to spread itself, but if most are infected around, i.e. they cough, then the cold virus will not spread itself thus conserving its vital resources. Have you noticed that when you have a cold virus you are more likely to sneeze in public then at home when you are alone; just a coincident or are you being purposively controlled by the cold virus that has infected your body?

I got this wild idea after reading about a advanced computer virus that used the computers sound cards to communicate between different infected computer when the computers were not connected to a computer network.

Someone in science should perhaps record the sounds peoples coughs and see if they can find any kind of "language" in use.

-MM

what info would one virus group in one person...need to tell another virus group in another person???

"hey guys... need any more?? not infecting him enough???"

like.. we cough to expell debris from our respiratory system.

and if two peoplle are coughing they're probably both infected.. so the virus's job is done and wouln't need to "communicate".

but wait.. there are bacteria that make mice seek out cat urine and worms that make grasshoppers drown themselves... and fungi that make ants crawl super high... so ... i guess your theory is as valid as any... just... why would they need to cough to each other if both cough-ers are infected...??

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

deadeyedick
Viruses use light to find targets.

Where did you hear that? Absolutely untrue. They don't "find" anything - outside a cell they're totally inert. They diffuse through the environment, and when they get very close to a receptor they can dock with, the virus is attracted to the receptor through little electrostatic field interactions and the vanderwaals force.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
Its called "sympathetic behavior". we are wired for it.

The sneeze and sun connection is another well known connection, however it is usually reverse (you look up at the sun to stop sneezing), if i recall.

I don't know about other people, but i tend to look up to the sun (or other bright light for that matter) to trigger a sneeze that just doesn't want to come by itself. Not in any way to stop sneezes that are already happening.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Bedlam

deadeyedick
Viruses use light to find targets.

Where did you hear that? Absolutely untrue. They don't "find" anything - outside a cell they're totally inert. They diffuse through the environment, and when they get very close to a receptor they can dock with, the virus is attracted to the receptor through little electrostatic field interactions and the vanderwaals force.
I was a black cat in another life and i remember choosing that color vessel in order to evade the sickness that was speading throughout the world. Many tribes have used black to hide from the light and the wrath of GOD. Of coarse i'm speaking of a another realm that is unseen. It is a place where virus's and such actually have physical bodies and travel the skies in search of life. This place can be brought on top of our world from time to time. In no way do i deny your explaination but it is only a product of actions from a place we can not see.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join