It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copenhagen Zoo kills 4 lions, weeks after shooting giraffe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Found this on CNN. This zoo and any others that use this practice to keep population under control needs to fix their breeding programs.Anytime you are having to kill 4 animals in order to put one more in that place,just so you can now breed that one. I mean come on, this zoo does not even try to place any extra animals they have.They just shoot to kill them. You can't tell they don't know after all this time approximately how many cubs are born in each litter. Why would you not look ahead and see that if you have too many males they will need to be placed later on? Then secure those places once you see how many males you have.

If this is the best that zoos can do,then they don't need to be in business.They are not saving these species with the intention of putting them back in the wild.If that were the case then they would start moving animals to the wilds and they aren't.These poor things are born and die there.There is no hope of them ever going to back to the wild.Its a farce. How would you ever take them back there when they need to be taught the killing skills? There is no mother to teach them that because she was born in a zoo as well and doesn't know how.If they were serious and did send them back then they would die.I think its time to close down all avenues used to entertain us with animals.
edit on 26-3-2014 by Dimithae because: misspelled word

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I read about this yesterday and am livid.

I wish people would just quit going to this zoo. They care not one wit about any of these animals there. They fed a young giraffe to these lions just a month ago. How can they remain a business?

People need to boycott this disgusting place. Horrible, horrible human beings, I hope one day the animals get lose and rip these bastards to shreds.

Five healthy animals in less than two months gone now at their hands. May they get what they deserve one day and I hope it is from the animals themselves.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

What ever made you think it was the role of a zoo to breed animals to return them to the wild ?
A zoo by its very nature is for the public to observe animals they would otherwise never get to see. It's an entertainment venue. It is not a preserve. Also lions as far as I am aware are not endangered.
It's not nice. It's not pleasant to think about but come on they're lions not kids. Not really anything to get enraged about and I am not cold hearted. At this moment there is a tiny Siamese cat in my lap. She is a little runty and she has white feet making her a snowshoe and not a pure bred Siamese. Her parents owner dumped her as an infant because she didn't maintain the gene pool. Her name is Mia. She's certainly not my first fur baby. She's not even the only cat in the house. We took in a large gray and white stray when the family who owned him left him behind when they moved. We've rescued dogs from the shelter. Nakita was a pure bred huskey who lived to the ripe old age of sixteen which is about six years longer than the average for a large breed dog. The vet said he obviously just didn't want to go. LOL. He was a sweetheart of a dog. So you can see I love animals but I know the function of a zoo and preservation or rehabilitation is not what they do.
Lions breed. There probably wasn't another zoo they could send them to and as you pointed out releasing them to the wild is not an option. I guess they could have just let them starve or kill each other but a bullet seems kinder to me.
edit on AM000000310000000331330312014-03-26T07:30:56-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
It's an entertainment venue. It is not a preserve.

Some common sense new laws need to be written on how Zoos do business.
The carnage is disgusting and uncivilized.
(I suppose that's human nature)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I guess I just don't get the outrage. Hunters reduce the deer population across the US every year. No one gets enraged about that.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So if they are overpopulated and can't feed them what? You want them to outlaw zoos ? Your grandkids may never get to see any of these animals unless you can afford to take them on safari. The only opportunity I had to see lions and tigers or elephants or gorillas was at a zoo. I can see deer in my own back yard and raccoons and squirrels so I guess we should just be grateful for the critters in our own back yards and not desire to see exotics.
I guess I'm just going to be the antagonist here because I think it's better to euthanize than starve them. Besides boycotting the zoo which since its in Copenhagen you won't have a problem doing anyway, just what should zoos do to maintain their populations to a level they can afford to keep and feed and let's not forget veterinary fees, housing, staff etc. What's the solution besides you know not doing anything which is what a boycott is. Doing nothing.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Zoo's need to be banned as they do not care about the animals. We humans deserve to be in a cage.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

Are you volunteering? What ever happened to having dominion over the beasts of the earth? Pick and choose what parts of that book we want to live by and discard what doesn't suit us.
Me? I'm Wiccan and still don't see a problem.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Zoos have outlived thier necessity and should be closed. Initially zoos came into being so that people could see and experience wild animals without fear.
Today we have the internet and virtual reality. You want to see how animals behave, how they live or how they interact within their species go online it's all there for the taking.
I'm all for closing all zoos, animals do not belong in cages period.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ironically, Denmark is considered the happiest country in the world. Nothing like a little bloodlust to boost the spirit.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is not responsible husbandry. If there is not going to be any place for these animals in any other zoo's breeding program, then they lions shouldn't be allowed to breed and produce excess animals. This zoo is no better than the pet owner down the street who refuses to get their dog or cat spayed or neutered and constantly has a little of puppies or kittens that are getting carted off to the shelter.

top topics

join