It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time: The Singularity 2045

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Time

The accelerating pace of change and exponential growth in computing power will lead to the Singularity

Apparently Times magazine thinks were going to reach a technological singularity.

Do you think were going to make it to that point, and will you choose to become a machine?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I personally hope we never reach that point in time. I mean, Living forever would suck. Add to that the fact that your only option to not go on, would be shutting yourself down, and hoping no-one turns you back on. That's assuming, of course that whoever was in charge of it hadn't already made a backup file of you.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidWarrior

You probably get to die, but maybe a (hopefully really good) copy lives on.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I sure in heck do believe the singularity is coming, even with the death of Moore's law coming far before 2045.

Here is an older video I made of me explaining the Singularity, Moore's law and my views on what's to come. Just know there is a handful of swears in it, but its fast paced and explains the exponential growth of technology and the coming of the singularity nonetheless.

MM
edit on 25-3-2014 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Since the idea was first proposed, I don't understand how that feeling of self awareness can be transferred. Sure, you can copy, but it's just a copy. If you copied someone while they were alive, the original would be the original and the copy would be the copy. And one would think each one would see themselves as such.

Kind of taking away from the immortality idea.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I agree but if humans have a penchant for running ancestor / life simulations once they have the computing power available it seems to increase the odds we may be living in one already...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I have to ask,

How many people actually think, with the current state of things, they will directly benefit from Transhumanism in any way, or a singularity.

Based on the current trends, a very small select few will have access to Functional immortality digitally, while the rest of us serfs get to live our natural lives.

The star trek future Ideology I just cant see,

Gattica, Blade Runner, Etc, seem far too likely than any kind of digital utopia humanity could attain.

We can't sort or crap at current population and resource levels, 26 years from now? pfffft

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Elton
reply to post by boncho

I agree but if humans have a penchant for running ancestor / life simulations once they have the computing power available it seems to increase the odds we may be living in one already...

I agree with ya on that one too. Hate to link another one of my vids, but what you mention here is my most successful vid-

"Is reality real".

Based off the ideas of Nick Bostrom's simulation argument stating it is very likely we are living in a technological simulation right now.

Some of my favorite things to think about.

MM

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Mr Mask, off topic, your videos are great but will be good if you add english subs .

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

The Singularity aforementioned holds human brain computation at a max constant. What is to say humans will not evolve their capacity? Who is to say that our tech is not our progression, or evolution? A bio-suit with consciousness...that is what we already are. And if humans, or something close to human has been there, done that, then where is the evidence? Ahhh, so we may be the organic machines, the evidence. Cool. That would mean our tech and biological union would be just one more cycle added to the existing model, serving as another launching pad for our evolution. Or we may break the cycle, which may have been done before as well, maybe not, but probably. Or maybe we go the way of the dinosaurs? Or like Arnold in T2, we choose to end the line by destroying our chip, which obviously did not work. Great. Here comes Skynet.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Good find, and I always love seeing the Singularity come up in the ATS forums....

However, this is over 3 years old, so I couldn't S&F it.

Things have progressed incredibly since that article was written.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
that road to hell is always paved with good intentions, isn't it?

as if things aren't bad enough in the REAL world (fake or not)
there is no way i'm going to mine blocks in some fake world so i can earn fake credits to buy a fake T-shirt..
..or what? they're going to port us all over to a utopia?

this is all the proof a person could ever want about the bible, God and all the 'jesus stuff'
at some point there HAS to be a separation from normal decent folk and all these kurtzweil god-complex types

new topics

top topics

join