It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paint Thinner in Children's Cereal Exposed ... Title

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

ChaosComplex
That's just as bad as it sounds. If it's capable of poisoning the environment, why would it be allowed into our food supply?

It doesn't "poison the environment". Phosphates entering the water shed act as a fertilizer, causing algae blooms. The algae crowd out some plants and animals, they die, bacteria consume them and the oxygen in the water. The lack of oxygen creates a dead zone. So, actually, a lot of TSP (and there used to be a lot) in the water is a fertilizer, not a poison. It's just that it causes indirect issues.

Sodium phosphate is given in IV form and as a supplement for people whose phosphate levels are low. You need phosphates. If I waved a magic wand and took all the sodium phosphate from your body, you'd drop dead like a pole-axed steer.

However, too much phosphate is bad. It affects your calcium balance as well. Your body regulates calcium and phosphate levels as a pair. Too much phosphate, and your body will release calcium from bone stores to balance it. Thus, phosphate overconsumption can cause osteoporosis over a long term. You get a LOT more phosphorus from Coke than you do from breakfast cereal though, if you drink cola, you get a wad of phosphorus in the form of phosphoric acid.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

727Sky

That's actually a good point. Have to wonder how much is retained or passed by the kids who eat that stuff for breakfast everyday?

Enough, you'd hope. You need phosphates. The backbone of DNA is made up of phosphate and sugar. No phosphate, you die.

The amount of phosphate in Cheerios is less than the amount of salt. They don't taste very salty, eh? Also that salt - it's used on roadways. How in God's name can we feed our children de-icing agents! The HORROR! I'm also pretty sure they use the industrial solvent oxidane in the recipe without listing it.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

sheepslayer247
Not quite sure, but I believe that TSP is used to reduce acidity in food.
edit on 25-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

Reduce acids while increasing toxins...what a trade off.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I suppose it would be beneficial to know whether or not Trisodium Phosphate is a cumulative substance in the body when ingested in normalized proportions.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Everything in the grocery store that comes in a package is laced with chemicals and/or hormones., except fresh fruit and vegetables that are organic.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner we pour toxic chemicals into our body' at FDA approved safe levels for ONE item. How come they don't study the cumulative effect and different combinations in the human body? Isn't anybody curious?
It's well known that two beneficial chemicals, when combined, can create deadly results. Same with too much of a 'good' thing.

As adults, we know we have survived the on slot of dietary chemicals, but need to consider that in our youth our exposure wasn't nearly as heavy as it is now.
Children have undeveloped immune systems and aren't even given the chance for their little bodies to build up a tolerance for the overwhelming amount of toxins 'in safe levels'.

Scientific studies are funded by companies who stand to make increased profits by a beneficial report. Independent research is very easily discounted with the kind of slander that only money can buy.

For some reason, the system has made the most highly processed, chemical laden foods much more affordable than fresh, raw or 'no chemicals added' foods. I'm still trying to understand the logic in that!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I hate to break this to you but all matter is composed of chemicals.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

GetHyped
reply to post by nugget1

I hate to break this to you but all matter is composed of chemicals.

That doesn't mean all chemicals are good for the human body, and should be ingested in ever increasing doses and combinations.
I have no problem with you ingesting just as much overly processed food as you'd like, but I personally would like to see affordable options for those who are not comfortable with all 'additives'.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Rezlooper

sheepslayer247
Not quite sure, but I believe that TSP is used to reduce acidity in food.
edit on 25-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

Reduce acids while increasing toxins...what a trade off.

Neither sodium nor phosphate are toxins in proper doses. You have to have both - too little of either in your diet and you'll die. Same with too much. Somewhere in the middle is just right.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Artanis667
I suppose it would be beneficial to know whether or not Trisodium Phosphate is a cumulative substance in the body when ingested in normalized proportions.

Of course it's cumulative - and you'd expect it to be.

Your body builds phosphates into all sorts of long-term structures. DNA, bones, cytoplasm, they're all full of phosphates in there doing their jobs. The phosphate and sodium in TSP is used by your body like any other phosphate. You are about 1.1% phosphate by weight. That's the way your body is made.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join