It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Maybe I don't know how to use the site or it doesn't have this feature. When replying is there any way besides opening a new tab can I see who and what I am replying to? I have been opening a new tab to do it, but if this site has a way to have what I am typing and what and who I am replying to above where I am typing it would help. I am getting to an age where I cannot remember exactly what was said by the person I was replying to.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

you could try hitting "quote" instead of "reply". Only difference between the two is that quote, as you can imagine, will quote that user's post in your reply. Hope this helped.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
LucidWarrior
I see I can erase the quote before I post. Thanks I think I am trying that now.

Ok the only problem is I don't know how to make the reply to the post I was refering to just the username
edit on 3/25/2014 by catt3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

catt3
LucidWarrior

I just quote-replied to you but didn't delete your name and what was above it.

Testing in 3, 2, 1.....

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Fail, lol. Hmmm....

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
catt3

What you need to do is delete everything except the
catt3.
(Click on quote to see how that looks on the edit screen).

Or you can make it
Reply to catt3

or even better

Reply to catt3

Every time you do a command in square brackets, you need to end it later with a [/ ] version.

edit on 25-3-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

catt3

Do you mean like this?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't think there's a way to change it to a 'reply to___' from the quote, but what you can do is just leave the content most pertinent to your own comment quoted.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidWarrior

as far as I can see that is the best way.
Thanks

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

Anytime

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
or you could copy the post your replying to, then hit reply. paste what you copied then type your reply.
delete what you pasted and place the cursor at the start of your post and back space to the top with your reply.

kinda like this.

reply to post by catt3

this below i copied.
Maybe I don't know how to use the site or it doesn't have this feature. When replying is there any way besides opening a new tab can I see who and what I am replying to? I have been opening a new tab to do it, but if this site has a way to have what I am typing and what and who I am replying to above where I am typing it would help. I am getting to an age where I cannot remember exactly what was said by the person I was replying to. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

here i type my reply, then i delete what i pasted. then place the cursor next to the h in here in my reply. and hit back space until i'm just one line under the reply to.
edit on 25-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Heya Op....

If you mean seeing the thread and other posts or the entire post of who you are replying to, without the quote being inside your reply? There is opening a new tab or opening a new browser win. There isn't a mode to have the reply on the bottom of the thread while typing it or similar layouts some other places may have.

If you are using a newer version of windows and a single monitor, then this is a handy use of the feature for splitting a window to 50% of the screen. Dragging the window hard into the right or left sides of the screen should pop it into a 50% coverage, then doing the new window duplicate of the thread on the other side gives you a quick side by side view on the same physical screen. (fiddling with dragging sizes and such always could have too, but that auto docking/fitting to 1 half makes it..well? A snap)

If I might throw it out there....This is also a very good note for why a second monitor is very handy. They're not uncommon, stuck in a closet or something and from an old system. Many modern vid cards support 2 simply plugging right in these days. It's priceless for websites like this. Duplicate a tab to a window, on the side screen and reply on a full screen. Easy if a surplus one is around, anyway.

edit on 25-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I see your issue. Just highlight it, hit COPY, hit REPLY, PASTE it in so you can see it while you type your reply-post. Highlight again and delete just that when youre ready to post-your-reply!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
[I just hold down my shift key when I reply that way I can view in another tab who I'm talking to and the info in their message.]

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I use 2 monitors but one of them is mostly streaming video. That would be the best way to do it, but I might have to get a 3rd monitor, I have been thinking about it. I will have to research and see if I can do what you are setting with 3 monitors (1 to browse the internet, 1 to view streaming video and the other to also browse.) I will let this thread know if it will work.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by catt3

If you're already looking at 3, then I'd absolutely recommend it. That's a little flashy, even now, unless there is a real demand for it. So I don't really get into mentioning it very often.

That's my set up there. The 3 main screens are running off a Nvidia GTX 760, which supports all 3 without anything special. Then those are set in a surround config so it's a 5000+ resolution on width. The screen behind those on the wall is a 32" Tv I alternately have as an 'accessory' monitor from my main box, an alternate for my tablet or a main display for my laptop. It varies since it's real easy to switch among them, with any 2 of them able to have hooked up (not going) at once with it.

Anyway... That's a fuzzy pic and when I get things fully relocated into another room, I plan to get some pictures of the overall set up that I can be proud if..but that shows what it looks like to work, anyway.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I use one of mine as a tv (which it is) sometimes but it mostly streams video, I am going to my local computer store tomorrow and get another monitor. my video card will support 3 monitors. so I guess that is the way to go.I like your setup.
I have room on my desk for another 24" and I might go ahead and get another to make it 4 and move the one with a tuner above and in the middle as a tv/monitor to watch stream video.
edit on 3/26/2014 by catt3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

I will say one thing about this setup that I wouldn't have guessed before I did it. It was inadvertent but in 'unofficial' opinions offered by psych related people I know, it's quite real.

In having this wrap around wall of digital space, I lose total track of time in terms of circadian rhythm. Trucking for 15 years played hell with it by driving through the night one day and then through high noon a day or two later and constantly rotating like that. The solid digital light hasn't messed with it, it's just erased it. 1pm or 1am feels the same if I've been all day and evening on course work and projects (as well as here, of course.)

It's a near constant, not a quirk, in having come to accept that as a consequence of the configuration. It's not too bad when it's seen as an issue, to work around.

Anyway... That could be a huge thing for some people and could become huge in negatives before someone realizes the cause to address it early. I figured I'd toss it out there as something I've not really seem mentioned in talk on this.
edit on 26-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join