It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the United Nations worth saving?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trent

Originally posted by xpert11
No we don't the security council needs more diversity, not less. It's supposed to a be cultural exchange type organisation that works to solve difference not empower those how have very similar beliefs.

The UN needs rid of the security council.
What to replace the council with ?
This is a hard question to answer not much point replacing the council with a clone.
Heres a start .
Have a council set up for the post cold war world.
There would be no power of veto.
Asia Pacific
Australia
New Zealand
3 or 4 other countries would have seats.
Europe
England
Germany
Other countries in Europe Asia North/South America ? fill in the gaps
Im all for diversity I just think the UN needs to every measure it can to encourge democracy.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I don't think the U.N. is worth saving. They're just a prelude to the N.W.O.. We did fine for almost 200 years without them. They also have not done sh** to prevent war. Imho, they're just wasting taxpayer dollars and parking spaces in New York.

I also think it's funny that some people on this board hate and fear the N.W.O. like they would the wrath of God, yet they advocate the United Nations. It almost seems laughable.

[edit on 11/27/2004 by HALLOWEEN78]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I also think it's funny that some people on this board hate and fear the N.W.O. like they would the wrath of God, yet they advocate the United Nations. It almost seems laughable.

Yeah Im laughing all right I dont even know what the N.W.O is little alone fear the the N.W.O

I do fear that people arrogance could get in the way of international diplomacy.
Sure the UN can be improved a lot human nature prevents the UN from being perfect.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I think there's alot of defeatist people around here, yes there are problems with the UN but if the only thing people do is complain then nothing will get solved.

- We need reformist not defeatists !!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I think there's alot of defeatist people around here, yes there are problems with the UN but if the only thing people do is complain then nothing will get solved.

- We need reformist not defeatists !!!!

I 150% argee
with you!

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
I 150% argee
with you!

thanks

In my opinion the UN is a predessor to a future united Earth, we (earth) can't continue in the long run to be divdied, although i can't see us being globally united for a good thousand years or so, atleast we can build links and trust between countries.

Forget the EU and other similar alliances, we should be focusing on the UN, a global alliance for the greater good, the UN could make a huge global diffference if it wanted to, but it needs reform and the full support of its members....including the US.

Remember:

United we stand, divided we fall

For more information on the UN visit:
www.un.org...

[edit on 27-11-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
For a new security council... just off the top of my head i would recommend.

Japan, Indonesia, India, South Africa, Germany and Brazil as well as existing members. None of these countries are perfect but they do have a measure power and it would give the council greater representations from certain parts of the world.

They should also have a veto system where at least 2 of the big three have to agree before a resolution can be vetoed (otherwise it goes by majority vote). By big three i mean the biggest of the current members, the US, Russia and China. Even if China doesn't have the best humans rights record or a democracy you can't go past the fact that they have more power than any other country besides the US. We basically couldn't go into China and change this like we did with Iraq, so even if we don't agree with their system we have to co-exist. Oh and maybe have standards that non-permanent members must reach before they can have a temporary seat on the security council.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by Trent]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

But I would rather has US sovereignty as I know what the world would do to US if given the chance...

On country, under God, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

the world would tell the US to shove it in a specific orafice.
no way in hell would they accept the US in charge, even the UK wouldnt.
the US is probably the worst place to host it.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by HALLOWEEN78

Welcome to the ATS Boards m8. I want the UN to be gone or seriously gutted, there are some things that it does well but none are efficient at all. Waste and Bloat is the name of the game there.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
if we did not have united nations the world would be cast back into the dark ages.if we did not meet once evey now and then countries would invade each other more and more.we could move un to another country but will not stop peace.for peace is the one thing we can be always improving......

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
if we did not have united nations the world would be cast back into the dark ages.if we did not meet once evey now and then countries would invade each other more and more.we could move un to another country but will not stop peace.for peace is the one thing we can be always improving......

Well countries can do that anyway, we (US and the UK) invaded Iraq without the backing off the UN. If you want the UN to work, replace it with something that can unite Earth in a good way.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Well countries can do that anyway, we (US and the UK) invaded Iraq without the backing off the UN. If you want the UN to work, replace it with something that can unite Earth in a good way.

That's the problem with the UN currently, its too weak

It needs a good gut and cleaning to reshape it into something that both people and nations respect.

The UN needs to clearly define its role in the world, it also needs to gain more influence over the more powerful nations such as US, Russia, China, UK, France.

Organisation's such as the EU etc need to be disbanded as they are beginning to rival the UN and drain power and effort that could be put to more use in the UN.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Organisation's such as the EU etc need to be disbanded as they are beginning to rival the UN and drain power and effort that could be put to more use in the UN.

Most of Europe is becoming very Anti-American and would preffering the EU to the UN. I would rather be apart of the EU then the UN.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Most of Europe is becoming very Anti-American and would preffering the EU to the UN. I would rather be apart of the EU then the UN.

Opposite here, I'd rather be in the UN than the EU.

The UN has more potential than the EU for greater good and progress.

America needs to stop abusing its power and influence, the EU needs to stop trying to be a rival of the US and to stop being so childish towards world affairs.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
US abuses power?

U.N. accused of rape, pedophilia, prostitution Civilians, staff in Congo under internal investigation

The United Nations claims it is investigating about 150 allegations of sexual abuse by U.N. civilian staff and soldiers in the Congo, some of them recorded on videotape.

The charges include accusations of pedophilia, rape and prostitution, said Jane Holl Lute, an assistant secretary-general in the peacekeeping department.

Lute, an American, said there was photographic and video evidence for some of the allegations and most of the charges came to light since the spring.

U.N. accused of rape, pedophilia, prostitution

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It is fact that 99% of the funds and troops the "great" U.N. uses is American. It is also fact that the U.S. has a trade deficit with every country it trades with. My point is, if the U.S. had it's soverinty taken away or collapsed, the planet would fall into a thousand years of darkness. The U.N. does not prevent war!!! Countries have invaded eachother for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. The U.N. is also made up of a bunch of third world countries. They're third world for a reason. There is already legislation in congress right now being passed to kick the U.N. out of the U.S. and stop their funding. And without the U.S. backing them, they will fall apart.

dh

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Opposite here, I'd rather be in the UN than the EU.

This is all the organisation of appearances, isn't it?
All these agencies appear to have different perspectives and agendas while they're all manipulative affairs leading to the one sure goal
My opinion is you can take sides for or against, and that is what is wanted of you, or you can oppose everything that is presented as a pure sham, -UN, EU, US government, democracy, theocracy etc- all sham edifices and concepts designed in the end to screw you down, Little Man, in pure enslavement to the anal-retentionist, this-and-that-sideist weavers of mystery, and your eventual extermination in the physical body or as an individual energy body with free will
Bees you all under the world government

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HALLOWEEN78
They're third world for a reason. There is already legislation in congress right now being passed to kick the U.N. out of the U.S. and stop their funding. And without the U.S. backing them, they will fall apart.

Lets hope that this is successful and I bet Ron Paul is leading the charge isn't he? I would love to see this happen as the UN is MOOT anyway.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
US troops murder civlians
"The scale of atrocities committed by US troops against Vietnamese civilians over more than a decade makes a joke out of Clinton's feigned outrage over ethnic cleansing in Kosovo. US troops conducted countless massacres of unarmed Vietnamese villagers; many of the troops earned the nickname 'double veterans', army slang for both raping and murdering Vietnamese women. Mass rapes preceded mass executions. At My Lai, Lieutenant William Calley and his platoon slaughtered the entire village population. Families huddling together were blown apart with grenades or massacred with automatic weapons. Calley was the only soldier convicted of murder. He served one third of his ten year sentence. "

and again
"According to the AP investigation, early in the Korean War, U.S. soldiers had machine-gunned hundreds of helpless civilians, under the railway bridge at No Gun Ri. The AP investigation is supported by 12 ex-U.S.. soldiers who have supported the claims made by South Korean survivors surrounding the massacre. As well as at least 300 civilians killed in this attack. another had 100 died in a preceding air attack. U.S. commanders had ordered units retreating through South Korea to "shoot civilians" as a defense against disguised enemy soldiers - itself is a major war crime"
yet the US claims the UN is evil , why is this yet it preforms acts like these?

and one very recently
"28 July 2003: (The Independent) Obsessed with capturing Saddam Hussein, American soldiers turned a botched raid on a house in the Mansur district of Baghdad yesterday into a bloodbath, opening fire on scores of Iraqi civilians in a crowded street and killing up to 11, including two children, their mother and crippled father. At least one civilian car caught fire, cremating its occupants."

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Yes I think it is well worth saving. I also think the UN would benefit from the US leaving the UN, its pointless them being members anyway.

As for the location of the UN headquarters, I have often wondered why it is where it is. My thinking is that the US wanted it there.

U.N. worth saving? The U.N. is a joke they dont do #. If u guys cant tell from my name im croatian. When The serbs came and started shooting everyone the U.N. did NOTHING. They did not lift a finger. So many people died. They evan put out a law that said no country could sell any weapons to croatians. Now the U.N. wont evan let Herzegovina become part of croatia. Evan though every year there is a vote on wheather they want to be part of it or not and every year they vote yes but the U.N.wont let them.
They also didnt stop genocide in Riwanda and now theres genocide in the sudan and the U.N. isnt doing anything to stop it. All the U.N. does is cause traffic and waste time and money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join