It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobo Artist Dan Price and his Hobbit style home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So I came across this random article and thought it was pretty neat.

Goes to show you that not everyone is concerned with shiny toys and big houses.

Dan Price is a man who has dedicated his life to creating art and living a very simple life for over 20 years. To most people, that might not sound very tempting, but when you see where he does it you may change your mind. Dan is known as the Hobbit Man. That’s because he lives in his own “hobbit hole,” a tiny house that he built in the ground.

Don’t scoff or judge, because this house is actually very awesome.

Source
Here's the video included in the link:

Seems to me he just likes the simplistic lifestyle.

Earth native Dan Price has been creating art since 1980 and living the simple life for over 20 years. On this site you will see his many photographs made over a 10-year career in photojournalism, various short films made about his unique lifestyle, his many books and magazines created while on journeys, photos of his underground hobbit-style home and other items of interest. Please note that the availability of magazines and books will be limited to what is in stock. Check the status of each item and order only between the months of May and October, as he spends each winter surfing in Hawaii. He is now passionately putting together a Podcast for all his fans called Sound Journal, which features his home made music, interesting telephone conversations and bits of sound captured on a small digital recorder that he carries in his pocket. Dan thanks all of you for the support you have offered over the years. Your help has made it possible for him to continue exploring the world to document all things cool and to share them with you. This latest adventure of sound collecting will be shared once a month or more, depending on how often the surf is up or he can get all the sounds put together in a reasonable fashion. Sound is everywhere. You just have to open your ears enough to hear it.

Moonlight Chronicles
Just thought I would share this unique individual with ATS.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaosComplex

Very cool and inspiring.

I'm not sure I agree with your use of the word "hobo" here.

Just to make sure it was not me, I looked it up.

Dictionary.com
hobo-a tramp or vagrant

Mirriam Webster
hobo- a person who has no place to live and no money and who travels to many different places

I feel pretty sure Mr. Price would not consider himself to be a hobo.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

tanda7

Very cool and inspiring.

I'm not sure I agree with your use of the word "hobo" here.

Just to make sure it was not me, I looked it up.

Dictionary.com
hobo-a tramp or vagrant

Mirriam Webster
hobo- a person who has no place to live and no money and who travels to many different places

I feel pretty sure Mr. Price would not consider himself to be a hobo.

I would agree with you if it weren't for his referring to himself as a hobo.

The Hobo's new e-book
"My Tiny House" is
now available!

Moonlight Chronicles

Hell, even his Flikr Account is under the user name 'hoboartist'.

edit on 3/25/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

You're right! He does call himself a hobo.

I stand corrected. In my world that word has a different meaning.
S&F

edit on 25-3-2014 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
regardless of what the guy himself says he's obviously not a hobo. More like some sort of neo primitivist or an ascetic of a minor sort.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

immoralist
regardless of what the guy himself says he's obviously not a hobo. More like some sort of neo primitivist or an ascetic of a minor sort.

Labels, labels, labels.

He seems like a really cool guy, can we at least agree on that?

And as for the term hobo, I believe he is applying it to himself accurately:

The origin of the term is unknown. According to etymologist Anatoly Liberman, the only certain detail about its origin is the word was first noticed in American English circa 1890.[1] Liberman points out that many folk etymologies fail to answer the question: "Why did the word become widely known in California (just there) by the early Nineties (just then)?"[1] Author Todd DePastino has suggested it may derive from the term hoe-boy meaning "farmhand", or a greeting such as Ho, boy![3] Bill Bryson suggests in Made in America (1998) that it could either come from the railroad greeting, "Ho, beau!" or a syllabic abbreviation of "homeward bound".[4] It could also come from the words "homeless boy". H. L. Mencken, in his The American Language (4th ed., 1937), wrote:

Tramps and hobos are commonly lumped together, but see themselves as sharply differentiated. A hobo or bo is simply a migratory laborer; he may take some longish holidays, but sooner or later he returns to work. A tramp never works if it can be avoided; he simply travels. Apart from either is the bum, who neither works nor travels, save when propelled to motion by the police.[2]

Hobo - Wiki
After all, Henry Louis "H. L." Mencken is considered a scholar of American English.

top topics

join